What's new

9999 Damage

Professional
Reaction score
tl;dr What could cause a Sega JVS IO to emit input only when a single button is pressed, and stop when two are pressed?

Background & Problem
I'm trying to restore JVS functionality in a New Delta 32 cab that was gutted for USB input only. The original JVS IO appears to be unobtanium, so I got a Sega 837-14572 Type 3 Lindbergh JVS IO. I just finished my custom cable to provide +5V, +12V, and GND to the IO, and I'm working with Lemony Vengeance on mapping the ND32 60-pin JVS cable to the Sega IO pinout (the difference is coin input).

I fired up CVS2 on Naomi only to find it won't recognize input if more than one button is pressed at a time. So, diagonal directions don't work, directional attacks don't work, two players can't attack at the same time, etc. If I look in the JVS input test menu, it looks like the two inputs very briefly flash as 1 before staying as 0.

The input path I'm using for JVS is:
Control panel lever & buttons ⮕ CP harness by Japan-Arcade ⮕ OEM wiring to 60-pin harness ⮕ Arthrimus Sega Console IO adapter ⮕ Sega JVS IO ⮕ Naomi

Is the problem a short in the wiring?
I don't think so. The problem doesn't happen when I use this cab as a P3 & P4 for my Vewlix Steam setup. In that case, the input path is:
Control panel lever & buttons ⮕ CP harness by Japan-Arcade ⮕ OEM wiring to 60-pin harness ⮕ Arthrimus Sega Console IO adapter ⮕ IDC 20-pin cable ⮕Brook Fusion ⮕ USB ⮕ PC
(The Arthrimus adapter still sits atop the JVS IO, but when I play on PC, I unplug the power cable from the ND32 cab to its JVS IO in case there's a ground differential between the Vewlix and ND32.)

I also checked continuity from CP buttons through a multimeter. I did find continuity between grounds, but not ground + signal, or two different signal wires.

Is the problem a faulty JVS IO?
I don't think so. I tried swapping in the same-model JVS IO from my Vewlix, and it started exhibiting the same problem once in my ND32 setup.

Is the problem a faulty Naomi or game?
The same hardware and game don't exhibit this issue in my Vewlix. TBF, I last tested that setup maybe a month ago, so I should retest just in case.

Is the problem in the Arthrimus adapter?
Not sure. It's part of the working PC input path, but maybe it does something different for its 20-pin vs. 60-pin outputs. I currently need this in the setup to adapt 60-pin connectors' polarization keys (ND32 has 2 and Sega IO has 1), and I don't want to cut up any 60-pin shrouds on original hardware, but I can probably build or buy a custom cable that will let me try removing the Arthrimus adapter.

cc @Arthrimus in case he's heard of anything like this before

"In order to read digital signals on the Sega JVS I/O type 3, you need to short pins 1 and 3 on the RA60 connector for power the optocouplers in the I/O."

From this thread:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/sega-i-o-type-3-837-14572-and-naomi.9899/

With all the different wiring going on, it seems plausible. I've seen that loop on all of my original Sega harnesses.
Man, that was fast!

Looks like the OEM ND32 RA60 connector has a wire between pins 1 & 2, not 1 & 3. I'll try to re-pin it tonight to see if that makes a difference.

@notsonic That was it. I'm getting all input now. Super impressed with you busting out a succinct and accurate answer within minutes. Thank you!

Back