What's new
Control panel time.

This is the starting point. Cracked/faded CPO with very crunchy buttons. Definitely needed a refresh.

UmoEy9R.jpeg

Now to continue the insane open source project, I got another Canon Lide 110 for €3,50 and followed my own tutorial again.
I put together the scans and made my own reproduction. This came in a week later:

TGnMeNo.jpeg

Finally I put the CPO on together with legit IL PSL-H pushbuttons and Cherry D44X switches I had to import from France as Dutch stores only sell Ali imports..
Disassembly was a paint with lock nuts, glued buttons amounts of CPO glue that should be illegal. The results do speak for themselves though :)

ZHtT0Iz.jpeg

Of course, the 300DPI print file is available for everyone ;)

Last edited:
With another Master System game butchered, I also added Fantasy Zone to the working collection. That means both 1Meg and 2Meg games are verified now!

3carts.jpg

As for what's to come :)

Improved "Redux" versions.
ifjyXfV.png

Home console converters.
sRZJf6g.png

Last edited:
Just placed an order for the 4 shown PCB designs on JLCPCB. Let the two weeks of impatience begin :)

I also found the source of the audio issue: one speaker was wired in reverse polarity...

I'll still replace the speakers but at least it now sounds basic instead of rediculous.

How to make replacement back door, the legit way.

Like seriously, guys. Why does everyone use painted MDF? Late 80's+ machines are pretty much all dual side laminated chipboard for good reasons. /rant

So for the Mega-Tech you need:
  1. 30mm length cam lock.
  2. 40x60x2mm steel connecting plates.
  3. 18mm black laminate chipboard, cut to 59,7x52cm.
  4. Authentic finger prints all over as black laminate does..

Assemble it like this:

ShyBQxN.jpeg

Be in awe at the legitness:

BzVJdig.jpeg

And then push your machine back to the wall and never look at it again ;)

PCBs came in :)

Starting with the (to be open sourced) Mega Drive converter!

Before I start I have to give full credit to Nipedley. This person has done an incredible amount of research back in the ~2010 era and used to have his own site that is linked to on several blog posts of the time. Anyway, he posted his magnum opus on this random forum post from 2017 and then seemingly disappeared from the face of the internet.

He went out with a bang, though. Turns out that this random Mega file of the pre covid era contained gold. It has recreated artwork, scans, manuals, info for making custom menu roms, and a complete reverse engineered pinout of the Mega-Tech cart slot with full comparison to the Mega Drive and even instructions to get an Everdrive going.

So I fired up Altium and designed a board to his spec:

ifeT69g.jpg

I then fired it up and magic happened:

58fcXLT.jpg

My bonus reverse engineering efforts for icons in the menu paid off too:

08LxFxz.png
CcwX8k0.png

I then got overconfident and tried my Master System converter, but that one unfortunately needs debugging I will get to in a future update...

Compilation carts.

So turns out Sega made a bunch of 3-6 game compilation carts near the end of the Mega Drive's life cycle. Let's find the best combination:

Qu7v6AG.png

After which, I made python script to generate menus for many custom carts:

BlUbUfh.png

For the next step, get scammed on Aliexpress by getting 1 27C322 instead of 10:

uFXEbiF.jpeg

After getting a refund and getting more, make these carts:

7xbIk1B.jpg

And suddenly the menu is on the Mega-Tech:

JTxQiLm.jpg

And Gunstar Heroes plays :D

NU0Wcue.jpeg

With these 1mm longer Redux carts, the fake shells are fine.

Got the master system roms permanently transplanted to the redux PCBs too.

w5v7NO5.png

Legit bootleggery here :)

InBCBBF.png

Stabilizing the cab even more...

I wonder what the heck happened to this thing because so many more pieces turned out to be loose. Did it fall down the stairs or something?

Just look at the back:

8HlRDzy.jpg

I had to get it straight and put screws down the top.

233AjVf.jpg

Followed by angle brackets on the rear top.

3QoKCbr.jpg

At least that sorted out the back.

AnO4n0W.jpg

But the cab was still wobbly even after my previous fix. Oh, the other side was trembling apart too, just not cracked on the bottom.

c7G3ElZ.jpeg

Followed that by another hardware session:

5RorHhf.jpeg

I think at this point that only really leaves the side art and missing wood chunks. Of course I'll remake the sideart, but I'm thinking of patching in some black laminate squares to the damaged parts.

It would not be perfect, but at least it won't look as bad as paint?

Mega-Tech - Mega Drive Converter Release

It's here! :)

Just for a reference, I tested the following random games off my shelf today:

4ARvli6l.jpg

They all worked flawless besides of Ecco TOT giving a PAL region error, but I won't call that a bug.

So to let you guys in, this whole Mega-Tech PCB project was something I took on whilst being in between jobs to not get too bored at home.

Fortunately I will start new work in May so this thread will go back to regular speed from now. It was fun while it lasted though ;)

Back