What's new

Chinzilla

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Shinobi board looks all original but having a few strange issues. For some reason the right and left inputs are not registering on both the P1 and P2 pinouts but all other controls work. The only other hiccup is the dip switches don’t seem to be changing any settings in the game. All other video and sound seems to be working fine. Any ideas on where to even start trouble shooting? I’ve attached a pic (green tape is on to protect stickers while I give it a good cleaning..she looks to be terribly neglected)
59811E13-D822-4C50-B535-3B2B1A7D47E8.jpeg

What System 16 adapter are you using?

I’m using this one from PCBjunkie. I checked it with a multi meter and I have continuity between the appropriate pins so I’m almost positive it isn’t the adapter
8A0A7F87-8C3C-486B-8AB2-4BDAAB9779A3.jpeg

I would start at the edge connector and go backwards until the signals stop toggling when pressing a button. Signals go through the multiple optocouplers next to the edge connector.
Looking at your board it's heavily populated with fujitsu and SGS TTL chips, could be one of those faulty, they are well known to be unreliable.

Ok using continuity on my multi meter I found where it connects from the edge to the optocoupler. But I can’t find where it goes from there.. should I check while the board is powered on? What tools should I be using to check? Sorry I’m a novice when it comes to finding where the problem is located.

Do you think the dip switches not working has any effect on this? Even with the settings set for upright the game is playing in table top (2nd player is upside down) and switched to free play but not letting play without entering credits.

The dipswitches and inputs often have a common part in the circuitry (same data bus) shared using LS245s for instance.

Ok looks like I’m purchasing a logic probe.. any advice for someone new who has never used one before? Went on YouTube to try to learn the basics but is there a certain place to get a crash course?

What do you think of this:
1EA9B03B-8B64-4339-99F3-08A328C8D0CA.jpeg

I’ve marked in red at the bottom where I’m tracing from the connector where the left input is going.. then above in yellow I’ve noticed some corrosion on the pins of this LS253.. any chance that may be the one that needs to be replaced?

i would wash and dry the boards first - seperate the dirt from any corrosion!
then maybe check the schematics - i think they are around.

yes, i have the schems.
check i.c. 18 - 74ls139
that handles input banking.

btw, can you post photo's of both sides of that small board in the 40pin mcu socket please.

AE711C4E-B414-4967-B650-CA8E6BF32FD5.jpeg

IC18 “looks” ok but how can I check it to be certain? Are there good replacements I could buy to replace it? And I attached another pic is that the small board you wanted to see?

Attachments

• 2733F13A-B12A-45BF-A5BA-5F34F498C968.jpeg
    2733F13A-B12A-45BF-A5BA-5F34F498C968.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 133
they are worth about 30-50c each.
dont get ripped off.
i think you need a logic probe.

As you can tell I’m new to this. Any specific logic probe I should get? Best place to learn how to utilize it?

Arrgggg... Evil fujisu chips all over your board!
That said the LS253s are a good lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back