What's new

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
It looks soldered still but not as much as the other pins. When I inspect the boards I try to catch those and add a bit more solder. If you check with a meter I bet you'll find they are connected uness the pin is bent and not in the hole like I said before.

The amount of time the pcb is allowed to touch the solder flow is no more than 5 seconds so any little soldering mistakes have to be fixed be hand rather than soldering the whole pcb again. Any longer exposure significantly increases chances of warping.

No solder would for sure not be normal because the entire surface is exposed to solder. So if you see no solder then those pins would need to be soldered. It would be very hard for the multi to pass testing and physical insection if the hole was completely open.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s not.

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Well, the only rare issues we ever had were broken traces.
At that point I'm afraid you'll have to send it back.

jbrlll

Student
Reaction score
@Apocalypse How exactly did the issues on the boards with broken traces manifest themselves? Pretty low odds the exact traces were damaged in shipping or broken during eprom installation on mine and @djsheeps boards to have identical sprite glitching.

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
@Apocalypse How exactly did the issues on the boards with broken traces manifest themselves? Pretty low odds the exact traces were damaged in shipping or broken during eprom installation on mine and @djsheeps boards to have identical sprite glitching.
We've encountered 2 scenarios so far:
- some games don't boot (broken address lines on program ROMs 01/02/03)
- corrupted/garbled sprites (broken address lines on sprites ROMs 07/08/09/10/11/12/13)
Actually when I say traces I should say vias, visually all traces look good but connection is lost in some vias.

It's seems to be often the same vias, could be they are weak points when flexing the board.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
@djsheep so you have continuity between pin 40 of ROMs 10/11/12/13?
Then everything is good and it should work.
Hey @Apocalypse — did a full reburn today and re-connected all those points you’ve mentioned with no luck. The same half of the games work, half don’t. Am sending this back to @buffaloj0e unfortunately and he will get in touch with you for repair.

I have left the kynar patch wires on the board and there’s an extra 10 x 27c322 he can send over if you need. Cheers.

evilsim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Sega16b (thanks to you creators!) and got the eproms with it. Two didn't work so I bought another 5 from ebay. I burned 13 and 15 on the ones from ebay.

In the dipswitch game list, everything down to Aurial does not work - so based on @Apocalypse 's comments back in this post, I will try to change 12 and maybe 13. Its wierd (in terms of eprom 13) as Tetris seems to work fine, but Wonderboy III I have nothing but a grey screen.

I'll play around some more tonight. Have already played Golden Axe almost through the whole game and some others too. Woo 16B multi !!!

I am using a TOp3000 and a RT809H - I cross verified each chip on a different programmer and they verified, but ill still try swapping over with these other 3 ebay eproms I have.

The RT809h burns the eproms approx 2.5 * faster than the Top3000 ! massive time saver

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
The RT809h burns the eproms approx 2.5 * faster than the Top3000 ! massive time saver
That would worry me. The Dataman48 is only ~20% faster than the TOP3000. I don't see how the RT809h can cut burning times by so much.

evilsim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would worry me. The Dataman48 is only ~20% faster than the TOP3000. I don't see how the RT809h can cut burning times by so much.
Yes I was concerned a little too, but its mostly working.

@Apocalypse Could you suggest some eproms for me to swap ? I tried 13 and same issue. I will revert to using the Top3000 for now, then once I find the bad eprom, I will try and reburn it on RT809H and check.

The RT809H so far has been a great writer.

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
@evilsim I'm sorry I'm not following what exactly are the issues you're experiencing.
Can you try to describe them in details please.

evilsim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed it.
It was EPROM #2.
The chip while it did burn and verify two weeks ago on both writers, it fails today.
I used a chip from ebay and it all works now.

The RT809H is a beast, the chips all work fine when burnt on it (even with the slider in settings set to FAST). Blank check, verify and write are all super quick compared to other writers.

@Apocalypse I was describing the dipswitch list from this post, saying that NONE of the games worked between the first (Excite League) and Action League.

replacing EPROM #2 fixed it. All the games and audio work now.
joy

please see my RT809H log below

148: The currently selected:M27C322, capacity: 32Mbits, 4Mbytes.
149: Download device programming algorithm......
150: Algo update OK
151: >------------------------------------OK---------------------------------------<
152: C:\TEMP\DARKSOFT\SEGA 16B\SYSTEM_16_ROLLUP\SYSTEM 16 ROLLUP\02_27C322.BIN
153: File has been loaded, checksum: 16bits_0xF614 £¬32bits_0x1BBBF614 :
154: Chip pins contact is detected OK.
155: Start blank checking chip......
156: Chip blank check OK, Elapsed time: 1.55 seconds, average speed of 2706002 bytes/sec.
157: >------------------------------------OK---------------------------------------<
158: Chip pins contact is detected OK.
159: Start writing chip......
160: Write successful£¬Elapsed time£º112.3 seconds¡£
161: Auto verifying...
162: Verification successful£¬Elapsed time£º1.551 seconds¡£
163: Elapsed time: 113.8 seconds£¬average speed of 73692 bytes/sec.
164: >------------------------------------OK---------------------------------------<

edit: RT809H , not RH809H (my typo)

Last edited:

duffcon

Student
Reaction score
Anyone selling a rotary/remote switch solution for this? It looks like the OLED version from @Frank_fjs is on hold. I searched around but I don't think anyone is making one now?

duffcon

Student
Reaction score
So after @ShootTheCore fixed me up with good roms, everything has been fine. Originally my crappy burner made it so I had intermittent sound issues and games that just didn’t work at all. Now all the games work but I’m still having an issue where the sound intermittently doesn’t work in altered beast again. I changed to riot city, sound is fine. Change back, no sound. I went through about a dozen power cycles and the sound came back. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
I know my test pcb starts messing up sometimes after switching games several times in a row. I have to let it sit like 30 minutes and everything is hood again.

Could be a rom failing as it warms up?