What's new

Bay78

Student
Reaction score
Decided to double confirm that the original E-Swat also had the super minor graphic glitch. On the multi I found that Cotton had it worst and only on the title screen. Game play was hardly noticeable. I heard that this could be a bad gate on the board. I will post back when I find out.

Attachments

• 44467AFF-BEB7-4451-AA63-167C2FC4A156.jpeg
    44467AFF-BEB7-4451-AA63-167C2FC4A156.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 9AB304CC-DCAD-47CC-8486-4CFF0709B6FD.jpeg
    9AB304CC-DCAD-47CC-8486-4CFF0709B6FD.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 7C51333F-A13C-400C-8B8C-91D8390A8BBD.jpeg
    7C51333F-A13C-400C-8B8C-91D8390A8BBD.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 22

bodgit

Student
Reaction score
I've installed my multi and it seems to be working for every game apart from Wonderboy. If I power on from cold with that game selected I either get a black screen or the legal disclaimer and it doesn't go any further. If I play a different game for a bit (which makes me think I'm warming the system up) then switch to Wonderboy it will get to the title screen and I can start playing but it will hang at some random point in the first level (the music keeps playing).

Is there anything in particular I can check?

bodgit

Student
Reaction score
@bodgit I'd start by checking ROM 02.
I pulled that chip and verified it multiple times with my programmer and it came back 100% every time so I swapped in a different 27C322 EPROM and now it seems much happier. It booted to Wonderboy first time and I could reach level 2 without a hang which would never happen before.

It might be useful to have a list or table at the beginning of this thread with which games map to which EPROM W.R.T. program code or sprite data, etc. to help people troubleshoot which EPROM could be at fault.

JamesRolfe

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping can help me out here. I've in the process of installing the multi. One of the EPROM chips is corrupted and I have more on order. But have programmed and installed the other eproms on the multi, just to see if certain games play and they do.

My problem is no sound. I have tried with 2 different mother boards which normally have sound. I have used both the original z80s that came with the board, and 2 different z80Bs that I purchased for this install. Still no sound.

Do I need a z80A? Do all the ROM chips need to be installed on the multi before you get sound?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

James

JamesRolfe

Beginner
Reaction score
Which rom are you missing?
Missing Rom 15. Reseated rom 14, now have sound. But after a few seconds i get this loud clanging sound. Tried with multiple games and on both motherboards. Tried with original golden axe board no clanging, so assume not an issue with jamma or supergun

duffcon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My multi is having a new issue. no recent changes. Any game that uses dip5 in off (alien syndrome, Shinobi, etc) freezes within 30 seconds, often not booting at all. Multiple power cycles or resets will get a boot, but it will freeze in short order. Any games in the same bank with dip5 in on will work fine. any ideas?

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Missing Rom 15. Reseated rom 14, now have sound. But after a few seconds i get this loud clanging sound. Tried with multiple games and on both motherboards. Tried with original golden axe board no clanging, so assume not an issue with jamma or supergun
Could be the games trying to play a sample stored in ROM 15.
My multi is having a new issue. no recent changes. Any game that uses dip5 in off (alien syndrome, Shinobi, etc) freezes within 30 seconds, often not booting at all. Multiple power cycles or resets will get a boot, but it will freeze in short order. Any games in the same bank with dip5 in on will work fine. any ideas?
Games using dip5 off all have their main CPU code stored in ROM 02. I'd start by checking it.

duffcon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be the games trying to play a sample stored in ROM 15.

Games using dip5 off all have their main CPU code stored in ROM 02. I'd start by checking it.
I pulled rom 02 and checked it. No issues. Put it back. Everything is happy now 🤷‍♂️