What's new

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check from that angle, thank you!
Ok mystery is half solved. I have 2 NeoGeo type controllers I wired up myself. First one is a DPD clicky PS3 game pad that I highjacked the buttons and just wired them directly to a NeoGeo DB9 extension cable. This has been working for all of the PCB and NeoGeo games I have. 2nd is an DIY arcade stick with Sanwa stick and buttons I wired the same way. For whatever reason, S16 works fine with the joystick, but when I press the start button on the DPD controller, it thinks every button's being pressed at the same time per the service menu controller test.

I just wanted to report back that this isn't a multi issue to close this loop. Not that I ever thought this was an issue with the multi, I just didn't know enough about it. This is now an issue with my controller on System 16B.

BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
My multi seems to be doing that weird audio sound again that I posted a video about (post #515)
The graphics look fine
I am hearing it at the start of the shinobi attract mode
I validated continuity between roms 11, 12 and 13 and they are good

@Mitsurugi-w - Is there a way to upgrade to the v2 multi to avoid these issues?
Thanks

BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
@Apocalypse
I tried reseating rom 15 but the sound still does the same thing in the video I posted
Graphics are fine - it is just the sound and it appears only near the start of the attract mode
It is very odd

A

Apocalypse

@BladeZX they are different chips but do have some signals in common. Address lines A0~A13 must have continuity between ROM 14 and ROM 15

ROM 14
1631788194867.png

ROM 15
1631788165463.png

BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
@Apocalypse
A4 was broken so I fixed it
Fired it up again and the sound was OK on the first attract mode
On the 2nd attract mode play the weird sound was back like in the video
This is very odd
Graphics are fine

Neo.raizo

Beginner
Reaction score
I would like to contribute this spreadsheet of all the games on the multi with notes about orientation and play-ability. Games in green work without issue in standard jamma 2 stick / 3 button cabs with horizontal monitors. Games in yellow will have issues with either monitor being vertical and/or language issues. Games in red are unplayable because of odd control schemes, usually trackballs or the like. I hope this saves someone some time.

1609361570826.png
Hi,
Thank you, very userful !

jwilliams

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey all,

First off, I want to give a huge shout out to @Apocalypse and @Mitsurugi-w for help make this dream come true. Thank you again guys.

Second, I wanted to share some pics of putting this board in place without a hitch at all.

Replaced the suicided custom Z80 with a stock Z80B and started programming the first M27C322,

SEGASuicideCustomZ80Replaced.jpg

Took 8 mins with the Top 3000, one down 14 more to go,

SEGASystem16BMultiKit_EPROM-01-Done.jpg

EPROM programming done and multi installed,

SEGASystem16BMultiKit_EPROMS_Programmed.jpg

Hooked up and working 100%!

SEGASystem16BMultiKit_HookedUp.jpg SEGASystem16BMultiKit_Working.jpg

Here are some details on my programmer,

Top3000 Delivery from China (finally)

Top3000-Delivery.jpg

Top3000 Device

Top3000andFirstM27C322.jpg

Topall Ver8.92(2021-05-04)

Top3000_Driver_CDR.jpg

GGPO to all

Josh

bodgit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I've possibly got another borderline iffy EPROM. If I leave Golden Axe running in attract mode, it will eventually hang on a black screen.

Which EPROM should I look at? What other games are on the same chip, just to see if they have any problems?

sammargh

Professional
Reaction score
How screwed am I with apocalypse gone to have some support on this multi? A few weeks ago when I pulled mine out I noticed that it was unresponsive with a black screen. Swapped the multi board with my legit Shinobi non-encrypted rom board and that one worked fine.

Decided maybe my 27c322 were at fault as they were suspect to begin with, ordered new ones and reflashed them all. All verified fine as well as the 801 verified without any pin complaints however the multi still isn't working. I suspect one of the PLDs to have failed, but not certain what sort of debugging is necessary to figure out what's going on. I have a scope, logic probe as well as multimeter so I can provide diagnostics.

Edit: reading over the last few pages for some other background - mine is a first version. Are there specific vias I should be looking at that might not be attached? Kind of concerned if a via lifted when it sat in a closet that any fix will be only temporary at best. Is there an option to swap these faulty boards for a functional one?

Last edited: