What's new

Pigcorn

Beginner
Reaction score
What will this run on? Is it a new hardware device from Taito/capcom? Can it be purchased?

Ah ok yeah I thought it would really need beefed upped hardware to run and that they made a new TTX5 or something thank you

All the reports I've seen from the November tests say its a type x4 still.
Perhaps it got a slight GPU upgrade?

They're just PC's in a box at this point. I don't see why it would run any differently compared to any other platform.

So wait, this is on X4? Wow.
Yep, that's what wikipedia says too... hot garbage imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Type_X

1702415526520.png

Not trying to trigger an Internet argument here, but... what's the big deal regarding the hardware it is running, provided it runs at a rock-solid 60FPS and a respectable resolution supported by the average HD arcade cabinet?

It's just disappointing that the latest arcade game is running on hardware that's 10 years old. A TTX 5 would have been a sign that Taito believes in a future for arcades. Arcades used to push technology but now they're so far behind you almost wonder what's the point.

It's to be expected but it's still disappointing.

It's a 2d fighting game at the end of the day not some open world whatever. it shouldn't need bleeding edge tech to look good. Arcades are barely profitable and are probably still trying to financially recover from a COVID world. This seemingly just being a simple upgrade to existing type x4 hardware is probably welcomed by many arcade operators.

Arcades used to push technology but now they're so far behind you almost wonder what's the point.
Imo the last time arcade tech was better than anything available for home use was about '97-99. After that point it was to play games on setups you really couldn't do comfortably at home(gun games ,multilinked racing games) and perhaps play someone you'd never play on a fighting game/ general social interaction/games that never got home ports. You don't need bleeding edge tech to create a unique fun experience that isn't replicable in a home environment.

It's this weird home release first then arcade release afterthought nonsense that has me wondering what's the point.

Arcades are barely profitable and are probably still trying to financially recover from a COVID world. This seemingly just being a simple upgrade to existing type x4 hardware is probably welcomed by many arcade operators.

You're forgetting that a lot of the arcade hardware in Japan is leased. I would be pretty annoyed as an operator if the arcade version looked / played worse than what people had access to at home.

It's just disappointing that the latest arcade game is running on hardware that's 10 years old. A TTX 5 would have been a sign that Taito believes in a future for arcades. Arcades used to push technology but now they're so far behind you almost wonder what's the point.

It's to be expected but it's still disappointing.
Honestly I believe the arcade business is a niche depending heavily on geographical location. In no way can it compete with the likes of Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. The console ports of modern games are better imo, polished with more support.

On the other hand, using existing hardware means ops don't have to pay for upgrades to get a game that could potentially bring in more customers and generate revenue (arguments about whether or not fighting games generate meaningful revenue not withstanding). Since existing cabs are generally limited to 1080p maximum, is it really a huge downside that the game isn't running at 1440p or 2160p?

Regarding lag, it seems like other competitive players are saying that it's on par with the PS5 version. Possible that the previous tweet was an instance of overheating hardware. This can cause performance degradation - it happens at tournaments!

not a soul seemed to care about this newly release arcade game whatsoever
Why would they? (Hardware discussion aside)
1.They've been able to play at home for ~6 months now. Capcom/taito should've done the opposite for some goodwill towards arcade ops.
2.Sf5 type arcade seemed to lag behind consoles(I didn't keep up. Did it ever get the entire dlc roster the home versions had?) contentwise. Bad precedent.
3. You can only play Kenny Omega online on a console 😅.

Releasing SF6 in arcades first would have been so incredibly wack.

Sorry, I know we're enthusiasts and want to believe in arcades still, but giving Japanese players 6 months to play and practice while everyone else has to wait would just be trash. Capcom would have been savaged for that call. And with a million dollars on the line for Capcom Cup? Oof.

The arcade era is dead, we just need to move on at this point. TTX4s are shitty PCs, the arcade versions are gimped compared to all the upsides of playing at home on PCs, and there's no reason to try and prop it up when nobody really cares. Like if Round1 got it would you really be hyped up to go and play? Maybe for the novelty, but that's probably it.

Half my players for 6 on my Vewlixes plug in their own controllers now. Even the idea of playing on cabs is starting to not matter at all to people. I made little Type Arcade marquees for fun, but I'm running the game on a modern PC with upgraded high refresh 1440p monitors in the Vewlixes and it's just straight up better. Better graphics, better lag, better options.

tbh I've kinda run out of juice for it at the moment. Every week when I host I'm just playing Third Strike on the Astros and chilling. But I'm happy to keep running 6 for folks, and maybe I'll find more enthusiasm for it later.

Back