What's new
J

jassin000

On todays RetroRGB pod cast (feel better @RetroRGB / Bob) a segment was devoted to the PlayStation Digital (HDMI mod) adding support for the Sinden Light Gun.

As some of you maybe aware already, this new style gun works with LCD/OLED TVs by drawing a boarder around the screen...
Its highspeed camera can then determine (I'm told with great accuracy) just were in relation to the screen a "hit" (trigger pull) took place.

I've always been tempted by this particular digital solution, because unlike other consoles the PS1 switches rapidly between 480i/240p (which is problematic for scalers like the OSSC).
Of course this got me thinking... IF PSDigi can do it, why NOT the OSSC?

Now I understand even if the OSSC could draw the proper boarder required for the gun, we would still need a way to feed this input to something like the original JAMMA PCB.
I really think this could possible however!
So I'd like to discuss it here in great technical detail, in the hopes that we could find and implement such a feature in the future Marqs (spend some time here bro, it ain't all about Shumps dang) to add it to the next OSSC firmware).

Just imagine playing House of the Dead 2 (Naomi) Time Crisis (Namco Sys246) or Point Blank (Namco Sys11) on a 65" OLED screen in your Livingroom!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for arcade support in the near future, I remember commenting on one of sinden’s videos about arcade hardware support a couple of months back and he told me that he will get to it eventually. Maybe a solution would be to use a raspberry pi 3 or something of that spec to maybe feed video in and track the gun movement as well? I know it’s maybe complicated but there must be a solution somewhere.

I was hoping for arcade support in the near future, I remember commenting on one of sinden’s videos about arcade hardware support a couple of months back and he told me that he will get to it eventually. Maybe a solution would be to use a raspberry pi 3 or something of that spec to maybe feed video in and track the gun movement as well? I know it’s maybe complicated but there must be a solution somewhere.
This is my “dream”. All I want to do is play my arcade light gun stuff on my 4K. Same with my consoles.

My X / Y coordinate “light gun” games all look awesome upscaled and on my Samsung.

Sinden is awesome but half my arcade light gun collection doesn’t emulate well, so even though the gun works great...the game doesn’t.

Having it all work? Dream scenario

I would be interested in seeing this work with @bobbydilley 's JVS solutions to work on Naomi 1/2, RingEdge 1/2, Taito TypeX, and the newer systems of that Type.

Different Marcus, yo. Marqs isn't on this forum.
Oops, hehe editing and untagging wrong guy. :whistling:
Maybe a solution would be to use a raspberry pi 3 or something
Then its some conga line of RasberryPi and Arduino to get the Light Gun into the PS2 input
Yes!
I have a Pi2/3/4 (2GB) so I could definitely run whatever test application(s) would be needed to make this happen.
I'm far from a Linux/Unix pro, but I know my way around the command line and have created a few SMB/Apache HTTP servers in my time.

I know @nam9 helped out with the Pi Force image/build... Maybe he has some thoughts to add.
I would be interested in seeing this work with @bobbydilley 's JVS solution
In my mind this is another reason why building an open source JVS device from something like the Pi could be so beneficial.
JAMMA might actually be harder to achieve?

Lets keep the discussion going, huge potential here!
Having it all work? Dream scenario
SAME! :thumbup:

Back