What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
So Smurph wanted to sell me his not-quite-perfect Deathsmiles PCB and had messaged me asking what kind of price I was thinking.

Didn't work out initially and we agreed to disagree. Last night he PM's me again saying fuck it, I have bills due, how's $650. I tell him to hold on because I'm not home but I'll get back to him in a couple hours. Which I do, and send payment immediately. He tells me he'll ship in the morning.

Morning comes, I'm told that he didn't get around to testing it again and it'll ship tomorrow. I say that's fine.

Few hours later he informs me he fixed the PCB and now wants $1000 which is a bargain compared to some other sale. I tell him I already bought it, and it should have shipped by now and I hope he is a man of his word.

Turns out he is more interested in money than keeping to the sale we'd already had. The PCB was bought and paid for, and there was no reason he should have been continuing to try and repair it at that point.

Said he'd refund me, but went and put the board up for sale first, which just adds insult to injury.

Edit: Not sharing PM's now.

Last edited:
Once the board has been paid for, it's no longer your property @Smurph. It may still be in your possession, until it is shipped, but it's no longer owned by yourself and you're not free to do things like perform repair work on it nor cancel or alter the arrangement of the sale.

With most products there are laws that stipulate this, but I think in this scenario it comes down to good etiquette and common courtesy.

Not taking sides or having a go at you, just telling you the way it is.

Your call where to go from here, I'd like to encourage you to do the right thing and send the board for the price agreed upon, as efficiently as you can. Do this and I think all involved will appreciate the gesture and hold no grudge. Go in the opposite direction and you'll needlessly be causing grief and won't have a clear conscience. I'd say doing the right thing will only lead to good things, but you need to make that decision for yourself.

As I continue to be called fun names like Sociopath over PM, I'm continuing to add them to my Google photo's album. So if you've been there once and haven't seen the fun stuff, feel free to check back in at the link above.

I performed no repairs.
I plugged it in to test prior to shipment and it worked perfectly.

And shit @Frank_fjs, you're right. I wasn't looking at it from that perspective at all.

God damnit. Sorry fellas.

Last edited:
oi @werejag are you just downvoting my posts without even reading them lmao

That one was literally me admitting fault.

Again. My perspective was fucky. Sorry.
If you wanna do the thing still, I'll honor the 650 as mentioned in PM.

Oh. Aight then.

Yeah, it kinda hit me halfway through writing that post.

I once had a deal with a fellow to sell two Egreets II..went out of my way to try to ship because the shipping company never showed up twice...there was a fellow offering over $700 just for the player one control panel on one of the Egreets..I could have sold the Egreets for the same price and changed the control panel for a repo..i honor the agreement that I had..I say this because your name looks like that fellow that I sold the Egreets to but I am not sure could have been a different guy..

I am glad to see that you are honoring the original deal..We all get into tight spots but I am sure that if you had communicated your financial issues and that the board worked now to the buyer things would have turned out differently..I had seller done this to me and I go, no worries man, I hope that your situation changes..

I actually think I was talking to a forum member about a very similar situation that happened recently-ish, and I had sided with the buyer on it after looking at it from both perspectives.

Honestly, This is pretty embarassing.

Also nah @SNK-NEO-GEO, I don't own any candy cabinets at the moment. Wish I did :P
Different guy. Thanks man.

Looks like we're working things out, as @Smurph already stated.

I'll update as things move forward. Right now we're waiting on PayPal to finish the refund.

Looks like we're working things out, as @Smurph already stated.

I'll update as things move forward. Right now we're waiting on PayPal to finish the refund.
Flipping it quick for $1000 profit would be a good way to wrap things up... :D

So here's the deal with this one...

If you think a boards busted...particularly a cave board, you get that shit checked, before you assume. Test it on a couple rigs, have someone check it that's more skilled than you....whatever. It's 1000+ USD....it's like a car....if the engines knocking, you take it to a mechanic, and protect your investment. If its not worth fixing, or costs more than you can afford to fix, then its the junkyard, or selling to someone, letting them know its got problems.

On the other side....part of being upstanding people here on the forum, is being empathetic and understanding. If you go to buy the car with the engine knocking for cheap...and you both find out someone just left a wrench rattling around in the bay....and the car's fine.....sticking someone for the heavily discounted, previously agreed upon price, may work according the fine print...but isn't really keeping with the standards of fair play we try to set here. *selling something out from under a paid buyer, or slipping in repro merch for real product, is a completely different crime, and story*

Now...listing it again, before ensuring the transaction was completely refunded, or complete....yeah...that'd irk the hell out of me too. I get it....but I think Hanlon's Razor applies in this circumstance. This goes for retesting the board before it left Smurph's possession as well....although I completely agree with concept of sale ownership that Frank_fjs put forth.

I've never dealt with Smurph....and don't know him from a whole in the wall. Rewrite and I, however, have had a successful transaction that spanned 7 months, with us communicating back and forth before we could finally get the cabinet sold/shipped.
I trust him implicitly, and sincerely consider him a friend, so if I'm going to sit here and play devil's advocate for both sides, that should tell you something.

Sales can go south...its life. There is someone on this forum, whose backed out of a sale with me...after I had secured shipping, and was about to send money. I'm not going to out them, or trash them...they just get added to my list of folks I personally wont do business with. They've had many successful transactions, and are as well regarded as I am...sometimes shit just goes sideways.

Hopefully everything works out for all involved....but like Rancor's sale that blew up recently....these are simply points that we can guide our transactions and behaviors by in the future, to ensure we are protected, positive members of this great community we share.

I gotta disagree with you, man...

I've been almost in that exact situation. I was selling a Vespa to a dude for way less than it was worth because I couldn't get it running, no matter what I did. Dude came over, and the thing just worked. No idea why the hell it wouldn't work for me for weeks leading up to it, but the guy just sat down, hit the starter, and it started right up. Dude left with it at the price I'd had it listed at non-working.

Now had another guy come along after this guy passed on it, sure, I'd have changed the ad and increased the price and whatever. But not to the guy that drove all the way out to me to see a dead scooter.

Let's reverse the situation. What if he listed it as working for $1000, then tested it and found out it didn't work. Are you still going to be happy paying $1000 for it? Doubt it. (in fact I would be pleased that the seller double checked). How is this different? The situation is disappointing and he should have tested before agreeing to sell, but logically I see no foul play or that he deserves to be black listed.

About your Vespa story, I absolutely would have taken it on the chin if someone drove a long way or whatever. But you didn't lose anything in this transaction in that way.

Last edited:
I see it from both sides, but I think (although you're my boy @rewrite), he fucked up, but not maliciously, not a eason for him to lose so much money on the deal. Why not split the difference A-P family style and do $825? Still a great deal for a DS and you both walk away happy and friendly?

Let's reverse the situation. What if he listed it as working for $1000, then tested it and found out it didn't work. Are you still going to be happy paying $1000 for it? Doubt it. (in fact I would be pleased that the seller double checked). How is this different? The situation is disappointing and he should have tested before agreeing to sell, but logically I see no foul play or that he deserves to be black listed.

About your Vespa story, I absolutely would have taken it on the chin if someone drove a long way or whatever. But you didn't lose anything in this transaction in that way.
So you'd have taken it on the chin for the vespa but not the Deathsmiles board? What's the difference?

Vespa was broken, guy came and paid and it started working.

Deathsmiles was broken, I paid for it, it started working.

There's no difference at all between those two stories, so I'm not understanding.

No one said to blacklist anyone. I had a bad experience regarding a seller who reneged on a deal and in turn I posted it in the feedback section. That way others can know what to expect when dealing with a seller so they can make their own decisions given that information. Which is what this section is here for.

I bought a bunch of boards some time ago, including X-Multiply. The seller said all of them were working and we agreed to a price. He didn't have anything to test them with at the time, but luckily he was local. He brought them over, we plugged them in and everything else worked, except X-Multiply, which booted to a black screen. He said if I buy the other boards he was willing to give away the broken X-Multiply, because he didn't know anyone who could fix the board and he just wanted to get rid of them. I said I'll look it over. Later I noticed one of the ribbon cable connectors wasn't fully seated. I plugged that in firmly and it worked. I paid him full price.

If the roles were reversed, how would you want it to be handled?

If the roles were reversed, what would you prefer to be done?
I've repeatedly stated what I'd have done. And that's take the loss. Because my word means something to me.

If I have already taken money for something at an agreed upon price, it's sold and no longer mine, and whatever happens after that is not mine to be worried about. See the vespa story.

Back