What's new

Tailsnic Retroworks

Professional
Reaction score
Hi. We are searching for a way for making work an original SEGA Saturn CDROM drive on a ST-V board. We have a complete Sport Fishing 2 cabinet with special I/O board for CDROM drive, CDROM game, cartridge game, but no CDROM drive.

Can we make it work with an original Saturn CDROM drive? We can't find any info, but we know somebody made it work many years ago.

Last edited:
The orignal drive is an industrial cdrom drive uses a caddy to load the disc the problem is that it uses a custom proprietary interface and is complete unobtainium the good news is that the RHEA ODE unit developed for the early saturn home console will work in sports fishing 2 you will need to get creative with the mounting and power wiring the only side effect i found is the game boots up faster and that is a good thing i did one for the local arcade place about 6 years ago and it has been running super reliable ever since

Reactions: nem
The orignal drive is an industrial cdrom drive uses a caddy to load the disc the problem is that it uses a custom proprietary interface and is complete unobtainium the good news is that the RHEA ODE unit developed for the early saturn home console will work in sports fishing 2 you will need to get creative with the mounting and power wiring the only side effect i found is the game boots up faster and that is a good thing i did one for the local arcade place about 6 years ago and it has been running super reliable ever since
Could you please give me more info about it, please? We have a SEGA Saturn reader from Model 1, and we have connected the cable to the ST-V and given it power with a Saturn, but I don't know what are you refering.

EDIT: we have found an ODE for 20 pin reader. How can we put the iso image of the game for making it work with the cartridge?

Attachments

• PXL_20221006_151816289.jpg
    PXL_20221006_151816289.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
assuming you have a complete machine and have both the game cart and special mpeg board that the original optical drives 20 pin flat cable plugs into your in good shape if not you will need any missing parts not sure if the optical drive from an saturn console will work as i never went down this path what i used was one of the original RHEA ODE units similar to the clone unit pictured above just plug the ODE units 20 pin cable into the mpeg board where the original drive was plugged in you may need a longer cable or use the original cable if it is not damaged mount the ODE so the cables reach i used pcb feet and drilled new holes in the bottom of the metal cage ( remove the old drive mounts this will give you a ton spare space ) power the ODE from the original drive power cable make an adapter or cut off the plug and solder the wires on what ever works for you only 5V and GND required prep your SD card as per the instructions for your ODE rip the data from the original cd if you have it just take it out of the caddy if you don't have it download the MAME CHD use CHDMAN to get into a form you can use insert the prepped SD card into the ODE and power up at this point the game should boot up and work.
things to bear in mind i Have not tried this with a clone ODE it may or may not work.
the game should boot up to a call attendant error with a bad or missing optical drive if this does not happen you have other problems to deal with.
All the CD contains is the background MPEG videos that the game is overlaid on top of kind of like a laser disc game.
any other questions just ask i will try to answer them bear in mind the last time i touched one of these was 6+ years ago so my memory is a little sketchy.

assuming you have a complete machine and have both the game cart and special mpeg board that the original optical drives 20 pin flat cable plugs into your in good shape if not you will need any missing parts not sure if the optical drive from an saturn console will work as i never went down this path what i used was one of the original RHEA ODE units similar to the clone unit pictured above just plug the ODE units 20 pin cable into the mpeg board where the original drive was plugged in you may need a longer cable or use the original cable if it is not damaged mount the ODE so the cables reach i used pcb feet and drilled new holes in the bottom of the metal cage ( remove the old drive mounts this will give you a ton spare space ) power the ODE from the original drive power cable make an adapter or cut off the plug and solder the wires on what ever works for you only 5V and GND required prep your SD card as per the instructions for your ODE rip the data from the original cd if you have it just take it out of the caddy if you don't have it download the MAME CHD use CHDMAN to get into a form you can use insert the prepped SD card into the ODE and power up at this point the game should boot up and work.
things to bear in mind i Have not tried this with a clone ODE it may or may not work.
the game should boot up to a call attendant error with a bad or missing optical drive if this does not happen you have other problems to deal with.
All the CD contains is the background MPEG videos that the game is overlaid on top of kind of like a laser disc game.
any other questions just ask i will try to answer them bear in mind the last time i touched one of these was 6+ years ago so my memory is a little sketchy.
Many many thanks. I'll try it. I supposed I had to make an uncompressed CHD image on the micro sd for it.

Back