BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
I have one but I am in Canada
Cannot wait for this multi so I can test out my selector pcb

hyp36rmax

Grand Master
Reaction score
Holy shot just reading up on S18 this is dope! Just picked up MoonWalker, time to look into a S18 donor for this.

PachinkoUK

Beginner
Reaction score
Is there anyone in the USA that can test a s18 proto EXTENSIVELY for a week and send it back?
Hi there
Here in the UK I can test the prototype pcb no problem and post it back to you very happy to pay for postage etc
You guys are amazing thank you kind regards Ryan

bodgit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a quick go at making my ESP-based selector fit the proposed header pin layout. The fact that this multi will be 3.3V already means I no longer need components like the voltage regulator and level shifter so I can shrink the PCB size a little bit. Here it is rendered with matching diarrhoea-yellow soldermask:

s18-selector.jpg

Here's the underside of the PCB with the sockets:

s18-selector-rear.jpg

It looks like the rotary switch on the multi is south of the header pins and would therefore be underneath my selector. Do you know yet what part that will be and how tall it is? Also, roughly how much current will be available from the 3.3V supply pin?

A

Apocalypse

@bodgit we have actually changed the design since the first protos, but the selector is still south of the header pins. Rotary switch is a PT65-503.
The 3.3V rail can supply 1A (I even think the regulators installed by @Mitsurugi-w are 1.2A but he would need to confirm that). Anyway worst case scenario the multi draws 0.3A so you have plenty of slack.

[EDIT]
And there's a tricky thing, reset signal is still 5V so it would need to be tristate on your selector (either in high impedance or low).

bodgit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@bodgit we have actually changed the design since the first protos, but the selector is still south of the header pins. Rotary switch is a PT65-503.
The 3.3V rail can supply 1A (I even think the regulators installed by @Mitsurugi-w are 1.2A but he would need to confirm that). Anyway worst case scenario the multi draws 0.3A so you have plenty of slack.

Ah, PT65-503 is the same family of switch as those used on the rotary selectors so I can find the height of those easily enough.

Sounds like there's plenty of power headroom, I think the maximum current draw of the ESP8266 is somewhere about 170mA but I think that's largely dependent how the WiFi is configured.

[EDIT]
And there's a tricky thing, reset signal is still 5V so it would need to be tristate on your selector (either in high impedance or low).

I know it's a pain but is it possible to get/add a 5V supply pin, i.e. the Vin used for the 3.3V regulators? The ESP pins aren't 5V tolerant, the SPST switch chip I'm using can only handle logic between 0-Vin so if it's powered by 3.3V it won't like the 5V reset signal, but if powered with 5V can handle both the reset signal and the 3.3V dipswitches.

A

Apocalypse

I know it's a pain but is it possible to get/add a 5V supply pin, i.e. the Vin used for the 3.3V regulators? The ESP pins aren't 5V tolerant, the SPST switch chip I'm using can only handle logic between 0-Vin so if it's powered by 3.3V it won't like the 5V reset signal, but if powered with 5V can handle both the reset signal and the 3.3V dipswitches.
Maybe you could use a single gate like 74LVC1G125:
https://www.ti.com/product/SN74LVC1G125

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Only thing stopping it is sourcing parts. Flash suppliers keep trying to fuck us over.

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Damn, not good. I'm sure you have a couple of nice stories to tell.