What's new

Paddy999

Beginner
Reaction score
Heya, I posted about this accidentally on the general namco hardware forum a few days ago, but I've since done a bit more digging and found out more so thought to redraft again. I recently got in 2 linked pairs for both TEKKEN 7 FR and Tag 2 Unlimited, both of which are working (figuratively) right out of the box very well, no issues with the linking or anything. It completely slipped my mind to ask the seller if he had patched the offline mode for both cabs though, to remove the 100/1000 credit limit - both cabs seem to have a TENPO router address but I don't believe they're able to connect to the network, so they must be offline, and i've no doubt they've easily passed by 100 starts on freeplay now so I'm guessing they have been patched. Does anybody know what to look out for to check, something like looking at the process name on boot or such?

I figured double checking that would be better to do before the second step I wanted, which was to update the 7 cab to FR2. From taking a look at the other threads here it looks like my options are to connect over internet (almost definitely not happening), pick up an updater USB (would be my go-to but it depends if this works with the patch? hence figuring that out first), or to re-encrypt a clean image - if anybody else has gone through a similar process, which one did you go with and/or would recommend? ideally I'd like to choose the path of least resistance in terms of damaging the cab's data, but then again if it's been cracked for offline, I suppose it's loading a dump regardless.

I was half tempted to just (hypothetically, of course) boot a multi on the tag 2s since I'd get a lot more use out of it, and I heard that cab already runs off of one PCB and mirrors player 2 which would work excellent with the multi, but I didn't know whether it'd be compatible with the ARTAX or prefer something else. I also wasn't sure whether it affects the tag 2 board itself or if it runs entirely off of an external drive, which would be preferable just to stick on manually every now and then, but have it boot into tag 2 like normal otherwise.

I'm throwing out a lot of questions at once there but I'm super stoked to finally get these in, so I'm scrambling a bit to make sure everything's in top shape and won't have any issues down the line. The TL;DR is, i'd like to know about checking the firmware on the cabs, what to do for updating Tekken 7, and finally, the recommended multi install for the tag 2. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Tag 2 is PS3 hardware. There's a proof-of-concept of running multiple System 357/369 games on one motherboard, but that's the most multi use you'll get out of one. You'll never run Artax on it.

Last edited:
You have the right of it yeah, I was looking at the ES3 specs for T7 and for some reason it completely went over my head that the hardware is different lol. Saw both cabs and my brain made the connection on its own. I may consider tossing in an old steam machine as a pet project down the line though, it depends if I can source a JVS converter for it (guessing that both cabs use a NAJV2 board?). The i7 model should hold anything I plan to use it for, it can handle KOF15 @ 1080

Back