What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
Got a Thrill Drive board off a member here just for the cost of shipping (many thanks...you know who you are) and before I do what I THINK will fix the issue...figured I’d ask around

Board boots, passes all CPU / Network board / Video board tests...then fails out with a -11N error

My guess is a flat RTC chip as the region code comes up as ??? on the boot screen. That should be filled with the region code per standard Konami SOP / testing against MAME boot sequences which have region code here.

But before I swap / reprogram an RTC...anyone ever see the -11N error? Google gives me nothing

bit more fun

the RTC was socketed...and it was blank. So I assumed the battery was flat

but it programmed and retained data...so I slapped it back into the socket

and I had a region code

still -11N erroring out, but I am thinking I just don't have the data correct. Good thing is the dumps of the RTC are all uniform across Konami boards of the era so I can spoof it if I need to

blank.PNG
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

I realize my issue now....I did NOT look closely enough at the coding in Hex before flashing the chip. Bad dump...it reads

GN6561997EAA

GN656 and EAA in readable text via hex translation and 1997 appearing in hex as the values 19 and 97

it should be GN6761997EAA

OR

GN6761999EAA (depending on year of release I guess. I've seen rom dumps of the RTC have both)

but per MAME dumps all data below the GN GAME CODE YEAR OF RELEASE CODE is FF/BLANK so even if I have to burn a few off I SHOULD be able to get the RTC to match the EEPROM on board the network board.

Or error -11N refers to something totally different and I am just solving the FIRST of TWO problems

Round 1 to the PCB: flashed correct code, flipped dip 1 and 2 to avoid post / init sequence, boots and goes directly to Hardware Error -11N

The network board needed to be cleaned as it would intermittently come up bad when reseated after popping the RTC out (lives underneath it)

So is the N “network”? It’s marked as No. 4 so I’m thinking this is the fourth board in a four up cabinet.

I tested in MAME and I can get the network board to come up as bad if you enable post and init but even setting the machine up virtually as network ID four and then resetting the “machine” I could not replicate the -11N hardware error

Sooooooo....yeah I put the board away for the night 😂

"I also managed to figure out the "-11N" error in Racing Jam 2, which turned out to be a LAN board EEPROM (or serial number chip) test."

From Ville Linde's Mame dev log:

https://vlinde.mameworld.info/

I was sure it was down to these traces but shockingly they kept continuity.

But I am glad to know my instincts were NOT wrong on the network board. On to the next steps (should make a fun video all the same...shot the entire teardown process and troubleshooting methodology)

MAME lists the EEPROM as no dump...which isn't great...but that makes me wonder if the program roms for MAME have that check stripped out....because if the dump ISNT in the MAME driver...then how is it bypassing the EEPROM check

still -11N errors. So either the eeprom is shot / not reading...or there is some data mismatch between the RTC chip and the eeprom

I ordered a few new timekeeper chips off DigiKey so maybe that will help....so close yet so far

what if you re-init the eeprom by holding test (i think it's test) while powering up?

what if you re-init the eeprom by holding test (i think it's test) while powering up?
I will be trying that on the next round. Just got some DB25 ports shipped in yesterday and a few RTC chips are on their way from digikey

i almost just bare wire jammed some leads into the ports but I decided to wait and do it safely vs being impatient LOL

Back