What's new

Psyko-M1

Champion
Reaction score
Ahoy everybody!
So I scored a really crispy CPS1 DASH HyperFighting US board-stack.
While I like Hyperfighting, I wanted the JPN "TURBO" roms.
So I found some spare 27C4096 chips from my old CPS2 project, and re-purposed them.
I burnt roms 21, 22, and 23. Socketed them in without issue.

20191208_110230.jpg
20191208_152749.jpg

Now when I fire the board up, everything works fine except the damn logo.
I'm so close, and I've tried 2 different burned sets of roms from MAME with the same result.

sft2.JPG

Is there something I'm missing or need to tweak to get this correct?
Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Attachments

• 20191208_143059.jpg
    20191208_143059.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 88
I believe for the Japanese version 4 of the graphic ROMs also have to be replaced.

I believe for the Japanese version 4 of the graphic ROMs also have to be replaced.
There's not much information about converting a US HF to a JP Turbo.
All I kept running into is the 3 rom setup for changing a Champion to Hyper.

This is why I stopped here. I'll give that a try tonight. I got enough chips left over to make this happen.
I'll report back whats what. Thank you @Apocalypse

There's not much information about converting a US HF to a JP Turbo.All I kept running into is the 3 rom setup for changing a Champion to Hyper.

This is why I stopped here. I'll give that a try tonight. I got enough chips left over to make this happen.
I'll report back whats what. Thank you @Apocalypse
Your board has mask ROMs for graphics so you're going to need 27C400s, not that common.

Also have a look here:
https://www.edgeemu.net/details-50783.htm
It seems graphic ROMs 10/11/12/13 differ from other sets.

And you're welcome :D

What makes Turbo more desirable than Hyper? I thought they were the same, gameplay wise.
Hyperfighting and Turbo are essentially the same game.
The Japanese one just says "TURBO" on the title, and scrolls it by the screen during the attract sequence.

Your board has mask ROMs for graphics so you're going to need 27C400s, not that common.
Also have a look here:
https://www.edgeemu.net/details-50783.htm
It seems graphic ROMs 10/11/12/13 differ from other sets.

And you're welcome :D
You're the best dude.
Since I'll be ordering chips for my M92 soon, I'll toss those 27C400 chips on my order.
I might have some left over in my spares lying around as well.

where you able to fix this issue?

I'm trying to rescue a dash board , burned the whole set to the eproms but i get cell bars all over the screen and the warning font is missing some letter.
I suspect is the jed file, im using the CE one.

@Elfito69

Do you have an little more info on exactly you had to start with and what you have burned now to test?
Jumping to trouble shooting (JPN) have you switched 4C & 5C?

burned the files on the hyper fighting turbo zip, downloaded the jed file from jammarcade and a+b+c board was tested with another rom set.
Roms 10-13 and 21-23 are japan version

Edit: there where 2 wires on the back side of the b board(probably for the hack version that was on the board before) bridging the gal to a 74ls, took them of and got the game working

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_110818.jpg
    IMG_20200214_110818.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I personally hate changes to games. I always try and buy Jp boards to make sure I have an unedited/uncensored version. All my CPS1&2 are Jp boards. I also owned the Jp SuFami WW, Turbo, MEGA DRIVE SCE and all the Zero games on the Saturn because I had a Japanese system only. So I can only relate to the original Japanese names. Just as I always say "BIOHAZARD" instead of "Resident Evil". I only own BIOHAZARD games so that is what is engrained in my brain.

Again, I detest changes that stupid US companies made back then. Be it arcade or console.

I detest changes that stupid US companies made back then.
Well you know I feel the same when it comes to game play.
Full disclosure... :saint:
The Japanese one just says "TURBO" on the title, and scrolls it by the screen during the attract sequence.
I've always hated the JPN Turbo for this very reason!
Also that abomination SNES port with the fucking JPN screen scroll. X(

I detest changes that stupid US companies made back then.
Well you know I feel the same when it comes to game play.Full disclosure... :saint:
Oh hell yeah, I hate anything that was changed. Especially gameplay or censorship. For example I detest working designs possibly the most because of what they did to Game Arts/Studio Alex's masterpiece LUNAR games on the MEGA-CD. As well as Popful Mail. The horrible gameplay changes to Eternal Blue and Popfup Mail and the pathetically bad, horrible, inaccurate translation. I swear WD is the Carl Macek of game translations. Although that is an insult to Carl's memory. So glad I can play and understand the originals.

It was just par for the course back in the 80's and 90's. Arcade and console alike. Ironically, now it is Japan that changes and censors everything!

Back