What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Recently Darksoft Unveiled the C-Board Requirements for the new CPS1 Multi:
You will be able to either solder your own B-21 on the board or plug any battery based C board with a B-21. It will have the plugs that the 90631C-5 PCB has already integrated. You can use that one or also the 92641C-1.
TLDR:
From further clarifications the idea is that you will need a C-Board with a B-21 Chip (look at the pictures below noticed the "B-21" text on the large black chip). If it's a battery backed B-21 C-Board you'll have key-rewriting capability for running original protected ROMs, if you do not have a Battery Backed B-21 C-Board then it will will but you will not have key re-writing functionality so you will need to use patched ROMs.

Battery Backed B-21 C-boards:
The easiest way to determine if your C-Board is compatible with key-writing will be to look for a yellow coin-cell battery visible on the top of the C-Board (unless it was removed for a de-suicide). All Battery-backed C-Boards will have a B-21 chip.

The two compatible C-Boards look like this 92641C-1:
Cps1_a_92641C-1_set1_top.jpg

(Credit for pictures goes to MVS-Scans)

or like this 90631C-5
Knights_of_the_Round_c-board.jpg

Games that came equipped with one of these Battery Backed B-21 C-Boards from the factory:
  • Adventure Quiz: Capcom World 2
  • Captain Commando
  • King of Dragons
  • Knights of Round
  • Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game
  • Three Wonders
  • Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (Japan Version)
CPS Q-Sound (aka CPS1.5) Games; all of these also came with battery backed B-21 C-Boards:
  • Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
  • Warriors of Fate
  • Sangokushi II
  • Tenchi wo Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai
  • The Punisher
  • Saturday Night Slam Masters
  • Muscle Bomber: The Body Explosion
  • Muscle Bomber Duo: Ultimate Team Battle
  • Muscle Bomber Duo: Heat Up Warriors

Alternatively if you don't have a Battery-Backed C-Board you can De-Solder the B-21 Custom off of a non-Battery Backed version and Transplant it onto your Multi. It may be possible to Modify this C-Board instead of performing a transplant but whether that's possible and how to do it haven't yet been determined. More on that here: Modifying a 92631C-6 (Battery-less B-21 C-Board) to work like a 90631C-5 (Battery Backed B-21 C-Board)

These C-Boards Look like this 92631C-6:
(note that this board has a spot for a battery but is NOT equipped from the factory)
Cps1_a_92631C-6_set1_top.jpg

(Credit for pictures goes to MVS-Scans)

Games that Came with Non-Battery B-21 C-Boards from the factory:

• Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
  • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Mega Man: The Power Battle
  • Rockman: The Power Battle
  • Pnickies
  • Quiz Tonosama no Yabou 2: Zenkoku-ban
  • Pang! 3
  • Ganbare! Marine Kun
  • Daimakaimura (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Strider Hiryu (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Tenchi wo Kurau (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Area 88 (Japan Resale Ver.)

A NOTE ON CONVERSION AND DESUICIDED C-BOARDS:

Obviously the above lists only cover which games that from Capcom's factory with the given C-Boards. Conversions are a crap-shoot as you could technically convert any game to work with Any C-Board. So if you've got a conversion you'll want to verify the PCB # on your C-Board

However, most conversions were based around A Battery-less B-21 C-Board which means that it's either a 92631C-6 or one of the battery-backed B-21 boards that has been de-suicided, which essentially converts it to a 92631C-6. So chances are if you have a conversion it's likely going to be one of these 3 PCBs.

Here is a De-Suicided 90631C-5, the easiest way to tell is that it has no battery. It's hard to see but there is also some traces cut and a small wire added in the lower right corner of the B-21 chip.
Cps1_a_90631C-5_set1_top.jpg

If your board is de-suicided though, you'll likely have to de-de-suicide (eg: undo the desuicide mod) it as the mod will prevent new keys from being written to the B-21.

Last edited:

Thrillhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the sake of clarity:

For the C boards that have a spot for a battery, but don't currently have a battery holder soldered to the board, is the actual battery itself even necessary, since we would be (presumably) be using decrypted roms? Or do we need to add that capability back to the board?

EDIT:

Nevermind - you answered this in the other thread:

I don't know that the battery circuit will need to be fixed since we will likely need to remove the battery anyway, I'm assuming that the multi will reflash the C-Board on boot much like the CPS2 multi does for the encryption keys.

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
For the C boards that have a spot for a battery, but don't currently have a battery holder soldered to the board, is the actual battery itself even necessary, since we would be (presumably) be using decrypted roms? Or do we need to add that capability back to the board?
we don't yet have confirmation on that ( @Darksoft maybe you can clarify?)

but my assumption is that no battery will be necessary. I'd venture a guess that the multi re-flashes the keys to the C-board on boot much like the CPS2 multi does. This is likely why it requires a battery-backed C-Board since those are the ones that can be re-flashed.

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
You dont need the battery, so you can basically do that "fix" to the 92631C-6 and keep it without battery and you'll be good.

Thrillhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well. This would mean that the (relatively) inexpensive C board replacements that Lydz sells on TaoBao could be an appropriate C-board pairing. I've got three on-hand, they've got B-21 chips and built on a substrate with a spot for a battery holder. The label on the board itself says it's model 92641C-1, so it must be the same as your first picture, minus the battery.

Thrillhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You dont need the battery, so you can basically do that "fix" to the 92631C-6 and keep it without battery and you'll be good.
Awesome! I'll also be interested to see how the option to include a B-21 with the order will work out. The reason I have these Lydz boards is to replace existing bad C-boards that I held onto. The prospect of fixing those as well is intriguing.

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
@Darksoft for CPS1.5 support on the multi do you need the original Qsound board in the stack (thus needing cps1.5 donor), or does the multi have on board qsound?

I'm stoked either way, just curious!

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
another question I'd like to know is if it fits inside the CPS Qsound or CPS Changer Case, or even the Varth/Capcom World 2 style case.

the Goat

Professional
Reaction score
Games that Came with Non-Battery B-21 C-Boards

• Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
  • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Mega Man: The Power Battle
  • Rockman: The Power Battle
  • Pnickies
  • Quiz Tonosama no Yabou 2: Zenkoku-ban
  • Pang! 3
  • Ganbare! Marine Kun
  • Daimakaimura (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Strider Hiryu (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Tenchi wo Kurau (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Area 88 (Japan Resale Ver.)
I just want to point out this list is not definitive. I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion from China and it came with a battery-less 90631C-5 C-Board. I guess I got lucky.

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion
CONVERSIONS don't belong on any definitive list.

Technically you can convert ANY game to work on ANY C-Board. So if you have a conversion board you're on your own to check the PCB#

this is only listing games that shipped FROM CAPCOM with the desired boards.

the Goat

Professional
Reaction score
I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion
CONVERSIONS don't belong on any definitive list.
Technically you can convert ANY game to work on ANY C-Board. So if you have a conversion board you're on your own to check the PCB#

this is only listing games that shipped FROM CAPCOM with the desired boards.
Understood, that is why I checked mine. I wasn't saying your list was wrong. I was just saying it was not definitive.

Brentradio

Champion
Reaction score
I am 100% confident that this shit will get worked out and that this shit will be awesome.

It's like an arcade project or something...

:D

hoagtech

Champion
Reaction score
Where does Street Fighter World Warrior fall in this list?

Will it be somewhat or completely Multi Compatible?

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
based on what we know, the only thing that matters is the C-Board, Any A-Board should work and the B-Board is irrelevant as it wont be used.

World-Warrior does not have the correct C-board.

hoagtech

Champion
Reaction score
based on what we know, the only thing that matters is the C-Board, Any A-Board should work and the B-Board is irrelevant as it wont be used.
World-Warrior does not have the correct C-board.
To further clarify. Can I play most of the library without the correct c-board is it that a no?

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
if anyone needs a suitable C-Board SheepNova has a bunch for sale right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283905549887?ul_noapp=true they've been de-suicided*

*EDIT: For clarity this means that they don't support key injection and would need to have the de-suicide modifications undone to support it.

Last edited: