What's new

plan9

Beginner
Reaction score
The guy I bought my cabinet from said the button panel was not the original. It came with all new Sanwa joysticks and buttons. As you can see the ground wires from player 1/2 are soldered directly to the jamma connector board. It's functional, but it feels like it could be done better. I traced the 2 pin empty socket on the right side of the first picture down to the ground of the chassis. I would like to clean this up and have the ground where it was intended. Can anyone assist me on where I can find a replacement connector that will fit? The grey and white wires soldered to the jamma connector are what I'm talking about. I kind of get why the video and sync are soldered directly to the board as this comes with a Wei Ya tri sync monitor. I kind of prefer to have the VGA connector for when I use it with my mame pc.

If you see any other issues that I should address, please let me know. This is my first cabinet so I am very inexperienced. I'm more of a software guy. :) Thanks for reading!
cabinet ground connector.jpg

cabinet connector front.jpg

cabinet connector back.jpg

Congrats on the new cabinet!

The port on the far right in your first picture is for grounding the control panel itself. This isn't necessary, but it prevents the panel that people touch from holding a charge for safety. The harness connects to the screw on the underside of the control panel between the start button and the face buttons in this picture.

1654486875853.png

Internally, it connects to the ground wire that runs from the power supply to the bottom of the cab, up to the coin mech and the control panel.

I bought replacement harnesses for my Blast City from @Lemony Vengeance , I'm sure he could hook you up with all the harnesses you need. The Blast City wiring guide is a good resource too. The ground for the buttons and joysticks should connect through the two middle connectors in your first picture (pin 12 is ground).

I'm not sure what those white and gray wires are for. It looks like the other wires connect to a DB15 adapter, which would allow you to connect a DB15 controller (like a Neo Geo arcade stick) to the JAMMA input.

Congrats on the new cabinet!

The port on the far right in your first picture is for grounding the control panel itself. This isn't necessary, but it prevents the panel that people touch from holding a charge for safety. The harness connects to the screw on the underside of the control panel between the start button and the face buttons in this picture.

1654486875853.png

Internally, it connects to the ground wire that runs from the power supply to the bottom of the cab, up to the coin mech and the control panel.

I bought replacement harnesses for my Blast City from @Lemony Vengeance , I'm sure he could hook you up with all the harnesses you need. The Blast City wiring guide is a good resource too. The ground for the buttons and joysticks should connect through the two middle connectors in your first picture (pin 12 is ground).

I'm not sure what those white and gray wires are for. It looks like the other wires connect to a DB15 adapter, which would allow you to connect a DB15 controller (like a Neo Geo arcade stick) to the JAMMA input.
Thanks!

The the two wires (grey and white are connected to button 6 on the panel.
There's about a 3 foot length of wire which termites at the jamma connector.
cabinet grey wire.jpg

cabinet grey wire2.jpg

They exit the button panel via the hole by the power switch.

Thank you for the help. I will contact @Lemony Vengeance about a harness.

Ah, gotcha. I think those two wires are just for button 6. The Blast City supports up to 5 buttons via the player 1 and player 2 harnesses (in the wiring guide, you can see pins 6-10 are for buttons 1-5). I only connect buttons 1-3 for P1 and P2 to P1/P2 harnesses. I connect the bottom row of buttons on each to a third "kick" harness that plugs into the first port of the connectors in your first picture. The kick harness is wired internally to a separate port on the I/O board (the PCB in the bottom of the cabinet to the right of the PCB door). Some games like CPS2/CPS3 have an additional port in addition to the JAMMA edge that can connect to the I/O board through an additional cable. I have a JAMMA adapter from Lemony that I connect to a Sega I/I with a CPS2/3-style kick harness port, and an Arcaniac JAMMA adapter for 1-slot Neo Geo MVS.

Back