What's new
Want To Buy

Heatermania

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys

Finally getting my Darksoft CPS2 Multi out of storage and ready to use and my A board isn't outputting sound. Turns out it has a huge dent in the bottom of it like it had been stepped on. So, now I need to replace the A board. Fortunately my "B" board is fine.....

So yeah... anyone got a spare "A" board they want to part with?

61815337_10220590499012208_1848107861779939328_n.jpg

That doesn't necessarily mean the PCB is damaged, could just be cosmetic damage.

I'd be exploring more options re your audio woes.

I don't currently have the tools to open her up. Video works fine, but no audio whatsoever...

I tried the reset trick with the minus volume button. The thing is, about three months ago I fired it up, not having a video cable handy, and the audio ran fine. Dug it out, found out there was no sound, inspected it, and found the damage. Figured that was the culprit... What else could it be? There's no sound from the RCA jacks OR the HAS...

I don't currently have the tools to open her up. Video works fine, but no audio whatsoever...

I tried the reset trick with the minus volume button. The thing is, about three months ago I fired it up, not having a video cable handy, and the audio ran fine. Dug it out, found out there was no sound, inspected it, and found the damage. Figured that was the culprit... What else could it be? There's no sound from the RCA jacks OR the HAS...
Go out and snag a security bit set tomorrow and we'll find out what else it could be :P.

Heck of a lot cheaper than another A board.

Well, I can't deny that if you want to start playing ASAP a new A board would be the answer. Just that it is probably an easy fix... if you could open it up or mail to someone.

What tool do you need to open the A board? Standard security screw driver?

That being said, A boards seem to go for $80-150. I'd check KLOV as I saw a working one with the game 19XX for $190 shipped recently, which seems like a good deal.

I think it more likely to be a cable / setup issue.

Here's a hunch: HAS disables audio from the 8 DIN plug when an audio cable is inserted. You mention that you tried sans video cable first up, with sound working, now you're introducing a new cable and sound has stopped. Something to explore perhaps.

Go out and snag a security bit set tomorrow and we'll find out what else it could be :P.
Heck of a lot cheaper than another A board.
I have a torx set but it doesn't have the bit in the middle. So I can't open her up. I can go get one from Lowes tomorrow morning.

Last time I set it up I know it didn't have the damage to the shell. Which is why I'm thinking this might be the culprit.

Does the HAS send audio through the scart cable? Or just through the mini audio out? Because I've tried the audio out jack, including messing with the volume controls, and from the "A" board itself, and no audio on either front.

Last edited:
Did you recently update the OSSC firmware?

If you did and didn’t use the version with an “a”, you’ll lose audio.

Last edited:
Ok, just to troubleshoot, your OSSC does fully work with something else?

I'm using a framemeister, but yes. I run the audio separately through a receiver, so the scaler doesn't matter. All other consoles work as intended.

OK, I’m super sleepy and read HAS as OSSC, sorry, ignore me for a second!

Yes, I think it’s best to open that A board up and post some pictures.

Again, on KLOV there is a seller selling one pretty cheap, but with a game if you go that route.

There was a guy in another thread who had a bunch of A boards and was asking what to do with them after consolizing 1 or 2 - I'll see if I can find the thread, he may be willing to sell one.

Also, I've seen A boards with cases in far worse condition than that and they work perfectly, so while it's ugly, it's also exactly why they are in heavy plastic cases to begin with.

Edit: Here is the other thread:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/cps2-a-board-query.9412/

Paging @UltraSean

UPDATE:

Got the proper security bit to remove the "A" board from the shell, fired it up, and it worked perfectly. Put it back in the shell and we are back to no sound. Maybe I need to source a new shell for my "A" board.

Are there any "A" board, and for the hell of it, "B" board shells floating around here?

If you do want to buy an A board I just posted some for sale in my own sales thread. But I agree, you should try to fix the one you have if possible!

Back