What's new
Want To Buy

TodoRojo

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My ms8-29 has a flyback that is getting noisier and noisier over time so I’d like to replace it. Anyone have a spare working flyback? I’d even consider a whole chassis with a working flyback if the price is right.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

My ms8-29 has a flyback that is getting noisier and noisier over time so I’d like to replace it. Anyone have a spare working flyback? I’d even consider a whole chassis with a working flyback if the price is right.

Thanks!
Which sort of noise? Some noises caused by the flyback are it having loosened away from the PCB over time so it vibrates very very very quickly and makes an awful sound. You can either put a wooden shim under it or remove the solder, push it tight to the PCB and solder it back down again. RTV can be hit or miss with helping, but a pain to clean up next time anyway so I'd avoid it.

Best way to test is to press moderately on it with a wooden spoon or a wooden ruler while it's running. If the noise stops or changes, then you can fix it this way. If it still makes noise despite being prodded, this won't help at all.

Which sort of noise? Some noises caused by the flyback are it having loosened away from the PCB over time so it vibrates very very very quickly and makes an awful sound. You can either put a wooden shim under it or remove the solder, push it tight to the PCB and solder it back down again. RTV can be hit or miss with helping, but a pain to clean up next time anyway so I'd avoid it.

Best way to test is to press moderately on it with a wooden spoon or a wooden ruler while it's running. If the noise stops or changes, then you can fix it this way. If it still makes noise despite being prodded, this won't help at all.
Thanks man, so yes it does change in pitch and sometimes even stops as I push on it. It’s a high pitched whine. It used to go away completely by a small push but now it takes a bit of prodding before it goes silent.

I did try to tighten it and reflow… but I didn’t try to remove solder, tighten, then reflow. I can definitely give that a shot tomorrow.

Still wouldn’t be opposed to having a spare it’s in case or to future proof myself :)

Thanks for the tips!

Still wouldn’t be opposed to having a spare it’s in case or to future proof myself :)
Totally.

I did try to tighten it and reflow… but I didn’t try to remove solder, tighten, then reflow. I can definitely give that a shot tomorrow.
Yeah, see, you can't really push it down flush to the PCB when only one pin is heated at a time. If that doesn't work, try a wooden painter's shim and just tuck it or a couple under different edges of it. The goal is just to get it to stop vibrating, so any which way should work out.

Totally.

Yeah, see, you can't really push it down flush to the PCB when only one pin is heated at a time. If that doesn't work, try a wooden painter's shim and just tuck it or a couple under different edges of it. The goal is just to get it to stop vibrating, so any which way should work out.
Hell yeah. Thanks dude. It has been driving me insane while I play 😂. I am looking forward to this tomorrow. I just got a fresh copper braid, too haha. Great timing.

Does a ms9-29 will work to you the C1 model non autoswitch, is a good replacement for ms8-29

A little bit of good news. I got the noise to be far lower after removing the flyback completely and resoldering it. I cranked it down first and then held it tight against the board as I soldered the first 4 points or so. It’s a night and day difference.

Still in the market though!

A little bit of good news. I got the noise to be far lower after removing the flyback completely and resoldering it. I cranked it down first and then held it tight against the board as I soldered the first 4 points or so. It’s a night and day difference.

Still in the market though!
Hell yeah! Congrats!

Back