What's new
You’re going to be doing what has already been discussed in the Type X3 thread.

You’ll be installing an embedded Windows version on any hardware with a com port, not really necessary, setting up Attract-Mode as front end to launch batch files or scripts for arcade dumps along with J-Config and similar loaders, with the JVS to Keyboard dll wrapper, or just use your JVS-PAC and skip using the JVS board on the Type X2.

The X2 was running a P4 processor and of the era GPU. It won’t break the bank to make a dedicated TX2 box.

Really seems like using the JVS-PAC is the way to go then, would avoid using the wrapper...
Would it also remove the need for COM ports on the motherboard?

I was thinking the COMs would only be needed if using Taito's JVS driver/hardware.
Yes, the COM port is only necessary if using Taito JVS driver/hardware. The only potential issue I see is playing through the loaders with Keyboard bindings and possibly having issue with CTRL, ALT, Shift combinations.

Though you could set up any keyboard ( or JVS-PAC 2) to act like 360 game pads, info can be found in the link below

https://github.com/mikew/xarcade-xinput

However after reading a full explanation of how X2 games could be run on basically any PC hardware running embedded Win7 that got me thinking...
if you remember my old "Kraylix" cab before I got a Vewlix it was running a Win7 PC with TTX games.
I can tell you they're a hair less reliable, not sure if because the installation is a whole lot less clean or due to differences in the OS (or both). getting them working with JVS your easiest option would just be a JVS PAC ... not sure how well you could retool the JVS card on the original X2 to work with them. JVS PAC also means emulators and other stuff will just work over JVS too.

The biggest thing you'll want to consider is GPU compatibility. I suppose if you're sticking with the GPU from your donor X2 then it should be fine.

Last edited:
I used a spec-like PC for X2 games with a JVS-PAC until I got a real X2. Not a bad way to go, and also, the same PC can boot GroovyArcade off another HDD for CRT MAME glory.

I plan on doing something similar but using a dead Namco System ES1. Took out the motherboard and the graphics card. Pretty much off the shelf parts. Should be interesting as I have been looking for an ES3 but have decided to build my own instead.

Made more progress on this build today...

As mentioned here I went with the Gigabyte DS3H mATX motherboard for its (native) COM port.
I really want to use the original Taito JVS card so this is a MUST!
com-port-png.png

The PSU inside the X2 case is only a 400watt, so I needed to be very careful with part selection vs. power draw.
I used this Startech adapter to change the 4pin 12v motherboard connector into a 8pin "modern" style.
eps48adap.main.jpg

For CPU I went with the AMD 5600x, again keeping in mind the power consumption using a 5950x was just out. ;)
RAM I used 32GB (2x 16GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 (only a few $ more than 3200, though I have no plans to overclock this system).
1655857821401.jpeg

I replaced the case fan with a Noctua NF-P12 redux, however the Gigabyte mATX board is slightly longer than Taito's X2 stock...
So I busted out my favorite trick "backmounting" (ie attaching the fan to the outside of the case).
91JkAMy5xQL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Only parts remaining is HDD/SDD, I'm not sure if I want to go with this keeping in the original sprit of the X2 design...
OR if I want to just say fuck originality/design and go with performance/M.2 (I am missing that HD drive tray anyway).

AND the video card (I didn't go with the 5600G/thus I have no integrated gfx) I'm leaning towards the GTX1050 but I've still got time to research this.

I've been reading over posts about the pinout of the JVS IO/how to connect it up, I found this post from @nam9 very helpful.
I might even have some questions once I make it to this point, perhaps a PM.

Likewise once I get into the software side of things I might have some additional questions (I've never installed Windows Embedded 2009 before).

Last edited by a moderator:
After lots of testing its become clear the 400watt PSU in the X2 case is either defective/damaged OR just not providing enough power to boot the system.
I confirmed this by moving the motherboard to my 530watt bench case, where it booted right up.

I was afraid of this, so the backup plan was always to just continue with the build only change gears so its no longer X2 clone.
Win11 64bit home installed today, MAME running great via the JVSPAC. *shrug*

Guess I'll be playing the X2 games via hacked/PC loader.

Back