What's new

LittleLarrySellers

Professional
Reaction score
I know we have some resident gurus on this 80s god machine here so hoping for assist.

I recently took the plunge and picked up a Compact XVI. I grabbed a VGA adapter as well and was hoping to do x68000 -> OSSC -> CRT to handle the wonky resolutions it produces. However, when I connect the computer to the OSSC it won't sync. The OSSC just keeps trying to lock in on the signal but can't. If I connect the VGA adapter directly to my CRT it does work and 31khz games will load so I don't think the adapter is the issue.

Do I need to do some tweaks or something to get the OSSC to handle the x68000? I always get confused with tweaking the OSSC and am a total newb with this computer so not sure if I am missing something obvious.

Hmm…I’ve used an OSSC with my X68000 without any tweaks needed that I recall.

With your setup, is the light on the OSSC red or green when it isn’t displaying? And if you push the Info button on the remote, what’s the information on the OSSC display?

The light is green and it is just rapidly displaying no sync over and over. Pressing info doesn't do anything.
1000012757.jpg

Sounds like it's almost-but not quite-getting a sync lock. Try nudging the HSync Tolerance and/or VSync Threshold up a few notches.

I also saw these settings posted on an X68000 enthusiast forum, but I didn't have to do any of this stuff with my setup.

<Sampling opt.>
Allow upsample2x On
<Adv timing>
640x512
H.backporch 86
H.active 575
V.backporch 39
V.active 512
640x480
H.backporch 100
H.active 580
V.backporch 17
V.active 449
1280x240
H.backporch 144
H.active 1314
V.backporch 6
V.active 256

<Output opt.>
240p/288p proc Line 3x
384p proc Line 2x 240x360
480p/576p proc Line 2x
Line 3x 16:9
256x240 aspect 8:7
Tx Mode: DVI (if you have DVI input on your TV/Monitor)

I have used my x68000 on a crt monitor with ossc with no issues but I did have to make some adjustments similar to the previous post. One thing I want to ask though - what firmware are you on for OSSC? I updated mine to the newest a few months back (had to mod mine as it was older) and I now get the same issues with sync- but only on the HD15 input. I had to use a vga to scart adapter and use the av-1 scart input which resolved it for me.

I hadn't used my OSSC in some time so the first thing I did was update the firmware. womp womp. You saying the latest firmware doesn't play nice with x68000 over VGA input? I tried the tweaking of the settings @ShootTheCore mentioned but nothing is locking it in.

I can look for a scart adapter unless there is easy way to downgrade my firmware. With scart, doesn't the cable have to be modded so it doesn't send voltages across certain pins that will fry things?

Is your X68000 fully recapped? I don't have any issues to get my OSSC sync with my ACE HD on OSSC with VGA. CRTs eat pretty much any crap as a sync but OSSC is much pickier.

EDIT: Also you can't use SCART unless you have a sync combiner between it. Like this: https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/vga2scart/

Last edited:
I’m not sure if the firmware is the cause, it’s just what I noticed… I use one of those tian feng vga to scart adapters with a switch for rgbhv and it works perfect with ossc and x68000

I could never get any of my x68000 to work with OSSC on a a regular VGA monitor in all modes 100% fine.
Ended up with OSSC and the BenQ BL702/902A and thats a perfect combination.
Even Galseed 2 runs fine and the game switches A LOT and it needs to be done fast :)

OK, I randomly picked FW 0.86aud and....

We can watch Jackie Gleason while we eat!!!

1000012759.jpg

I didn't have to tweak anything to get it to sync. I do need to adjust image a little but we're in business.

So, latest firmware definitely is what was my issue. thanks guys!! Can't wait to dive into this machine.

Back