What's new

9999 Damage

Professional
Reaction score
I was looking at my 89626A-4 DASH A-board for a different reason (Darksoft multi troubleshooting) and noticed a surface mounted component toasted to a crisp. It's attached to the OKI M6295, which I read controls non-FM sounds. I hadn't noticed any problem with non-FM sounds. Maybe they were less crisp than they were supposed to be.

My questions:
  1. What component can I buy to replace this? Some surface-mounted capacitor?
  2. One of the pads is burnt out. I can just connect that side to the exposed copper, right?

With crispy component:
PXL_20230424_193958858.jpg

Removed and cleaned up a bit, showing the missing pad:
PXL_20230424_203147170.jpg

Last edited:
I've been staring at the 89626A-3 schematic, trying to make sense of it. I can see the MSM6295GS on page 5, but I'm unable to find/identify anything that looks like it corresponds to the CX component.

According to the MSM6295 datasheet that is the ground pin, so i'd suspect that burnt pad is connected to something else and that was a bypass cap. I can measure one tomorrow on a spare board.

According to the MSM6295 datasheet that is the ground pin, so i'd suspect that burnt pad is connected to something else and that was a bypass cap. I can measure one tomorrow on a spare board.
That would be awesome. Thank you!

I was writing to Luke at Console5 about something else and asked about this while I was at it. He wrote:
I can't find an exact reference in the schematics but it's probably a 0.1uF (code 104 shown in the schematic). If CCX that's probably a 10uF tantalum cap but a pic from another should confirm.

unnamed.png

In the CPS-1 Multi Support thread, @ekorz also guessed it was a 0.1μF cap (but that it's probably not strictly necessary). So that's two informed guesses. I'm going with it! @tiff_lee, no need to go to any effort on my account. Thank you for your generous offer.

In case anyone else comes across this and needs to order a replacement cap, Luke linked me to this:
0.1UF 10% 50V MULTILAYER CERAMIC CAPACITOR MLCC SMD SURFACE MOUNT 0805

Back