What's new
Does tetris GM3 work on this? I added it to the hard drive and it came up in the menu but it just had some complaint pop ups and black screen.
It does boot on my PC.
Any chance of KOFXIII climax showing up anytime soon? That has been horded for far too long.
Thanks.
I havent gotten around to trying to make TGM3 work yet. I'll eventually get around to it. The next thing I will be releasing is MAME.

As far as Climax goes, if you can find someone with a drive I'd be more than happy to dump it for everyone. There is truly no reason it hasnt been released yet, other than hoarders being hoarders. Same thing with BBCS2, I actually have CS2 but the person who supplied me with it, asked that I keep it to myself for now. :(

I've actually got both versions - steam version was like a quid in a sale - but it's a bit further along the development path - last time I tried the GOG version it had no achievements etc...

Great work though ! Keep it coming ;)
No achievements = closer to arcade version. :)
Good point :)

Hadn't occurred to me that. Newer edition / bug fixes though might be to the good...

Does tetris GM3 work on this? I added it to the hard drive and it came up in the menu but it just had some complaint pop ups and black screen.
It does boot on my PC.
Any chance of KOFXIII climax showing up anytime soon? That has been horded for far too long.
Thanks.
I havent gotten around to trying to make TGM3 work yet. I'll eventually get around to it. The next thing I will be releasing is MAME.
As far as Climax goes, if you can find someone with a drive I'd be more than happy to dump it for everyone. There is truly no reason it hasnt been released yet, other than hoarders being hoarders. Same thing with BBCS2, I actually have CS2 but the person who supplied me with it, asked that I keep it to myself for now. :(
Yeah if I knew anyone willing to share, but I dont. Short of just buying one to share, but they are still way too expensive. Unless someone would coordinate a group buy.
How about the SF4AE 2012? Is possible at all to inject the update into the standalone export version?

we can do a collect to buy one original KOF13 Climax!! mmmmm..... 35$ for person......and then Niko can dump it! ;)

with only 50 guys we can buy one Climax original.

we can do a collect to buy one original KOF13 Climax!! mmmmm..... 35$ for person......and then Niko can dump it! ;)

with only 50 guys we can buy one Climax original.
Well, if folks want to get together to purchase a HDD/dongle, just shoot me a PM and I'll toss in my part.

I'm not really sure who's got them for sale. I know one went through YAJ in the past year or two and a guy on AO has it.

How about the SF4AE 2012? Is possible at all to inject the update into the standalone export version?
Yep I added it to my drive last night so now I have both versions.

PM me and I will send you the file you need. Or if someone wants to host it I will send it to them.

I've actually got both versions - steam version was like a quid in a sale - but it's a bit further along the development path - last time I tried the GOG version it had no achievements etc...

Great work though ! Keep it coming ;)
No achievements = closer to arcade version. :)
The arcade version actually does have achievements, though. It saves them to your NESICA card.

I have DeathSmiles 2 working and ready to go. PM me for a link.

I'm also porting Ex-Board games ( Arcana Heart 2.1, Arcana Heart 2.6, Arcana Heart 3, Daemon Bride ) over. I already have AH2.1 and AH2.6 done.

That's great news about the Examu Ex-Board! Having just imported the Ex-board and game cartrides, I hope this gets more folks exposed to the awesomeness that is Arcana Heart!

@Niko, thank you for creating this for us all, truly a gargantuan effort :thumbsup:

Will your "selector" work on the X1 as well ? Several games on the X1 will not run correctly on the X2, here are some notes I got back in the day:

Have tried playing the Type X unencrypted executables on it (X2), and they do indeed work, although not 100%. I can confirm that games like GigaWing Generations
now plays at 60fps, but games like Raiden III has strange problems with JVS joystick input at times as well as graphical glitches. Raiden 4 has graphical glitches with the intro movie only.

It will be good to finally have clean dumps of these games, there are too many "hacks" and conversions floating around which no longer work on the real hardware but are adapted for the various PC loaders.

Deathsmiles 2 was CAVEs one and only venture into PC hardware. It uses a dedicated JVS card for input, the existing hack (I have not seen Niko's) introduces laq/slowdown into the input queue which affects the playability of the game.

And finally does anyone have an extensive list of the Type X and Type X2 games and their status i.e.

dumped/hoarded, cracked/clean, works/verified on Type X2 ?

Last edited:
I have DeathSmiles 2 working and ready to go. PM me for a link.

I'm also porting Ex-Board games ( Arcana Heart 2.1, Arcana Heart 2.6, Arcana Heart 3, Daemon Bride ) over. I already have AH2.1 and AH2.6 done.
Awesome Niko even more games to enjoy

@Niko, thank you for creating this for us all, truly a gargantuan effort :thumbsup:

Will your "selector" work on the X1 as well ? Several games on the X1 will not run correctly on the X2, here are some notes I got back in the day:

Have tried playing the Type X unencrypted executables on it (X2), and they do indeed work, although not 100%. I can confirm that games like GigaWing Generations
now plays at 60fps, but games like Raiden III has strange problems with JVS joystick input at times as well as graphical glitches. Raiden 4 has graphical glitches with the intro movie only.

It will be good to finally have clean dumps of these games, there are too many "hacks" and conversions floating around which no longer work on the real hardware but are adapted for the various PC loaders.

Deathsmiles 2 was CAVEs one and only venture into PC hardware. It uses a dedicated JVS card for input, the existing hack (I have not seen Niko's) introduces laq/slowdown into the input queue which affects the playability of the game.

And finally does anyone have an extensive list of the Type X and Type X2 games and their status i.e.

dumped/hoarded, cracked/clean, works/verified on Type X2 ?
In theory yes, it will work on an X1. You will need to use a X1 donor image though.

I've heard about the graphical glitches in Raiden 3/4 and initially thought it might of been a bad dump but now that I think about it, its probably has more to do with the graphics card/driver being different. These games where developed with one target configuration in mind. I can redump the game if someone has an image of the hard drive, I dont even need the dongle. However I dont expect it will really help.

As far as Deathsmiles 2 goes, CAVE did use JVS but the way it communicates with the hardware is different. The JVS comes in and is converted into a different serial standard that is interpreted by the game. As far as I can tell the xb_loader is really just polling for directinput and sending the appropriate serial data to the game. While in theory it would introduce lag it should be very minimal like not even noticeable. But I could be wrong on that. Im not really a big fan of shmups and personally I think DS2 looks like crap so I never played it. However, when I was working on it I did notice that it feels "slow" or like its "slowing down" but that was only the movement not the animations. And its not like input lag where you press the up arrow and it takes some time to register, no its just like the character is moving at 30fps and the rest of the game at 60fps. This leaves me to believe that its just the nature of the game. But maybe someone who has played it on real hardware can comment on this.

As far as the Examu games go, I decided to port these because it was literally the same process as DeathSmiles 2. It also works the same way where it polls for directinput and sends whatever data the game expects. When in the test menu doing the input test I was unable to experience any noticeable lag and I'm using a USB decoder between my PS3 fightstick and JVS I/O board. With that said, I really dont think input lag is going to be an issue here.

To touch back on the X1 games, Majority of the Type X games including Raiden3/4 have official X2 ports on Nesica. Not only that but the Examu games do aswell. So those will make their way to the public once Taito retires the X2 or Nesica. Which from what I hear, could be as early as 2017.

I'd been considering getting an examu as there's been a few pop up on YAJ recently and they were cheap. I suppose I don't need to bother now!

Thanks for the detailed explanation Niko, I sent you a PM regarding clean images ;)

And it might look like I need to get an X2, can someone please share the specs I should be looking for ? RAM size, which graphics card etc.

The main thing to look out for is the graphics card. You want the X2 with a 7900GS / Gladiac 979. Its easily identifiable by the two DVI ports. Ram can be upgraded for cheap later, but you will want atleast 1GB for things like DS/CC.

As far as processor goes the P4 or Core2 will be fine.

Notice the spec sticker above the warning label.

Also notice the sticker to the left of the warning label. It tells you the model number of the X2. Try to find one thats atleast a 208A. The 207A apparently has issues with KOFXIII

p1000722.jpg

So apparently along with forgetting to implement player2 controls in DeathSmiles2 I also setup Button1 and Button2 backwards! :S

I will fix this on Thursday and release update files for those of you who have already downloaded the game. That way you dont need to redownload that large archive.

EDIT:

Does anyone have a working copy of Daemon Bride? Every dump I find either has dead links or doesnt even work on my PC let alone on the X2.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of X2 - satellite's for sale cheap, apart from having to replace the video card as its the X1600 are they OK or are there any other gotcha's?

Fortunately I've already managed to pick up a working Gladac 979 reasonably cheaply.

Even if a few others are ungrateful/impatient - I'm over the moon with everyone's efforts and will be happy to play anything without having to pay "you-know Who" for the privilege.......

As long as the Satellites have atleast a P4, and you replace the video card you should be good.

Also, you can flash a off the shelf 7900GS with the Gladiac 979 BIOS and it works like a charm. I have a write up on how to do it.

Back