What's new

m.Balmed

Beginner
Reaction score
I'm rocking a pretty old battery, I was going to make an attempt tonight to swap it out with the cab turned on.

Any gotchas to watch out for that I may run into after a pass the point of no return? Saw the bit-district jig so I ordered one up, figured I would give it a try.

Ran across my share of cold solder joints, I expect some of them are from rushing and out of fear.

This is the part where I ramble until I nut up enough to do this.

Moved it over to the jig, is a type C but I anticipated wrong on the type of battery. naturally I am thrilled to make the transition </sarcasm>

about 2.9 volts on the battery, so far it has survived a few inserts and removals. I wonder how badly I need to remove the hood.

My takeaways from this experience...

Oddly enough, I didn't realize that the side clip batteries weren't a friction hold... at least mine weren't. The negative through hole piece was at least an eighth of an inch long and it curved back. I had to rock it out with the iron on it.

I forgot that all lead free solder looks like cold solder joints, so the job took 8 times as long. I'm never using that garbage for high risk stuff again.

The bit-district jig helped, but wasn't as secure as I had hoped. Putting the battery back in from the bottom was the hardest part.

The only other thing I would like to share, if you are doing this in the cab... even if the lady at the hardware store gives you funny looks, a set of knee pads are worth every penny.

Power cycled the cab after a 5 minute rest, it is still alive and kicking. I brought the cart in from the garage to trim the leads and put it back in the original case and of course it started pouring rain. I guess this means I need to bring the thing in so I can start restoring it. next step will a good cleaning, and some new controls.

Sounds like the rain has slowed, so back out to put things away so I can put the car back in.

*nope* rain still going, I couldn't hear it because it was blowing sideways.

Back