What's new
Back in stock! I haven't heard anything about disruptions with FedEx shipping, so should be business as usual - i.e. order this weekend, and they will go out on Monday.

https://irkenlabs.com/store/products
I ordered one from you Sunday night and it arrived Tuesday morning... :thumbsup:

Quick question. Is it possible to change the keyboard mapping without an IO connected?

I ordered one from you Sunday night and it arrived Tuesday morning... :thumbsup:

Quick question. Is it possible to change the keyboard mapping without an IO connected?
Yes and no :) Use the buttons to save config, then edit the config file on a computer to remap the keyboard.
https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/keyboard-operation

You won't be able to save the config without an IO board connected.

Thanks, all done now. It's a bit inconvenient as the computer and arcade machines are in different parts of the house.

Is there a way to disable the JVS-PAC 2 reporting HID joystick/game controller mode since it's not yet fully implemented (I really wish it was though)?
When I use it on linux, there are buttons and stick position reported, which is stuck to UP-LEFT, making it unusable due to programs trying to remap an input to both a keyboard and HID game controller input. The UP-LEFT being stuck also makes menus scroll endlessly on software that supports game controllers.

Any thoughts on a workaround?

Screenshot_20200403_184938.png

Is there a way to disable the JVS-PAC 2 reporting HID joystick/game controller mode since it's not yet fully implemented (I really wish it was though)?
When I use it on linux, there are buttons and stick position reported, which is stuck to UP-LEFT, making it unusable due to programs trying to remap an input to both a keyboard and HID game controller input. The UP-LEFT being stuck also makes menus scroll endlessly on software that supports game controllers.

Firmware change is needed, the subject matter is a bit complicated and it's hard to please everyone for all cases. I was thinking 3 modes:
1 - keyboard only
2 - gamepad only
3 - hybrid

Let me have a squint at it, as the current behavior you describe is clearly not ideal - keyboard only mode should at least have 'neutral' analog stick values.

Firmware change is needed, the subject matter is a bit complicated and it's hard to please everyone for all cases. I was thinking 3 modes:
1 - keyboard only
2 - gamepad only
3 - hybrid
I would be happy with a config option that can just swap between keyboard and gamepad mode like "GamepadMode=1".
I suppose there would need to be a way to define the gamepad mode mappings in the ini separate from the keyboard mode as well though.

Is it possible to boot in to esc only shift mode? If not can that be added too? Cheers

Is it possible to boot in to esc only shift mode? If not can that be added too? Cheers
esc-only is the default and what it boots to :)

If you have an sd-card inserted, it will remember the last setting you used and boot to that.

Already had the JVS-PAC2 for a while, but only this weekend started using it in preparations for the La Calice Cup!
Works like a charm :D

I’m curious if anyone had any luck using their JVS-PAC 2 with the Mister FPGA? The unit works fine when paired with my Windows 10 laptop and Naomi Universal cab. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to play nice with my Mister. I can’t navigate the menus in Mister or remap keys properly.

Firmware change is needed, the subject matter is a bit complicated and it's hard to please everyone for all cases. I was thinking 3 modes:1 - keyboard only
2 - gamepad only
3 - hybrid

Let me have a squint at it, as the current behavior you describe is clearly not ideal - keyboard only mode should at least have 'neutral' analog stick values.
That makes sense to me. If you end up finishing the analog support you could then put trackballs to be either mouse in keyboard mode or a stick on gamepad mode.

That makes sense to me. If you end up finishing the analog support you could then put trackballs to be either mouse in keyboard mode or a stick on gamepad mode.
A long standing entry on my to-do list is to play Marble Madness with the Dynamic Golf trackball IO I got for just that purpose, so mouse for sure. Not quite sure how to map it to a gamepad.

A long standing entry on my to-do list is to play Marble Madness with the Dynamic Golf trackball IO I got for just that purpose, so mouse for sure. Not quite sure how to map it to a gamepad.
What we ended up doing in the bemani controller world is used the X and Y axis of the left analog to act as 1p & 2p inputs. I think doing similar for the trackball would allow for games with weird inputs that expect the analog device to return to home after an input... I have a Dynamic Golf panel and would love to play Marble Madness and Golden Tee with it :)

I have an idea to use a regular Golden Tee board but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole

Doing a write-up on setting up GroovyMame and CRT emudriver from scratch, should be ready soonish. Anything in particular you guys want covered?
It's geared towards 31kHz CRT use, but should be useful for tri-sync owners too.

Anyone got any links/tips for setting up MAME with LCD on vewlix?

Thanks for the tutorial @invzim

It makes me think that I have a question specific for nnc and trisync monitors.

I'd like to avoid multiple switching between 31khz which is the default desktop setting (which I use for Naomi/Dolphin emulation too) an 15khz which is for groovymame and retroarch.

The most annoying example is mame when I reset a game it leaves to desktop for 2-3 seconds switches from 15khz to 31khz then leaves back to 15khz which is quite a pain for me to hear.

Sounds bad for the chassis.

What's the most elegant way to force desktop to stay at 480i when leaving 240p games and choose to switch to 480p only for 31khz games and initial boot ?

My goal is to switch between 15/31 on purpose and not each game leaving automatically.

I don't know if it's possible for 480i and 480p to coexist in the modelines list for desktop usage without making confusions between both modes they appear with the same name.

I thought about dual boot but it sounds too radical and overkill to me to have two partitions for that.

Last edited:
Article up on GroovyMAME, CRT Emudriver, and Attract mode front-end. This should get you up and running in a couple of hours:

https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/mame-for-31khz-cabinets
could you point me to the link where I can get that VGA break out adapter and enclosure from your tutorial.. I am finding a few on eBay but they are not like the ones that you are using which is what I need.. thanks

13ed8921-5b21-4555-91f3-a42a8783269e

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back