What's new

Slypty

Student
Reaction score
So I'm usually repairing PVMs and CRTs, this job is a custom one, owner has a real nice Astro City cab with some jitters. We're doing a full recap and clean, etc.

So, I know little about the Chassis from the Astro City cabs, but when I search 'Cap Kits' I usually get an 'MS-29' or similar. My PCB doesn't say that anywhere, and running a search query with the PCB # I get only Japanese results, and just a few.

It is an original tube, and I think the Chassis is original also. Anybody know if I was to buy an MS-29 Cap Kit would it be much the same? Don't want to have to completely document each cap value and placement if it's already documented well. Thanks in advance, see pics for board details.
20230925_093118.jpg

20230925_093126.jpg

Got it, thanks. Probably got myself mixed up after too much Googling.

Probably monitor swapped at some point. You can actually fit a 2930 in a astro and a MS9 in a Blast :P
Well no it was in a Blast, I just mixed them up since it's my first overhaul for a friend. It's his Blast, original Tube and had some unusual boxed game untouched inside with a low RAM Zilog chip. They came stock when released apparently, don't remember then games' name anymore

The boxed game was a "test game" dottori-kon or w/e its called.
I find them even to this day from time to time in the cabs I bring in literally untouched or unopened and I leave them in there lol

Apparently for a period of time the government made a law about something with commercial/industrial goods or something.

In short basically cabinet housing could not be sold without a game as that was the described purpose of its use.

So the arcades would either A: order cabinets with the games and configurations they wanted, B: buy a "empty" housing that included this super low cost test/game board to satisfy this act/law that passed.

With the sega cabinets sometimes you can find stickers that describe exactly what the cabinet was originally spec'd out for in the factory. The Control Panel configuration and the name of the included game board and the serial number.

https://beepgamecenter.wordpress.com/2016/08/11/arcade-test-pcbs-english-version/

Lol. Well I'll take a look at the sticker to see if there was any factory specs. I'd wondered if there was any rarity to these but clearly no.
In other news I believe a black ring on the 5th spot of a resistor indicates 20% tolerance, which means it's a 22.4 Ohm resistor... and I'm reading 192K? How did this thing power on?

Probably monitor swapped at some point. You can actually fit a 2930 in a astro and a MS9 in a Blast :P

The curvature on the tube face is a mismatch, the bezel won't fit correctly.

In addition, the tube depth is not the same. Back mounting of the frame and addition of washers is required.

Please don't post false or misleading information. It doesn't help anybody.

The curvature on the tube face is a mismatch, the bezel won't fit correctly.

In addition, the tube depth is not the same. Back mounting of the frame and addition of washers is required.

Please don't post false or misleading information. It doesn't help anybody.

Not to be abrasive here but I didnt say anything about it fitting the bezel right or being the right thing to do.

I was just bringing up that its possible to have it swapped like that and I seen it done before in both cabinets although a Astro apparently requires a frame swap and possibly other mods like a back mounting im not entirely sure on that but I have seen it.

It was mostly in response to "what is a 2930 doing in an astro"

Ya I mean I should reiterate at this point that I started this thread with a 2930 in an Astro, when it was a Blast.

Not to be abrasive here but I didnt say anything about it fitting the bezel right or being the right thing to do.

I was just bringing up that its possible to have it swapped like that and I seen it done before in both cabinets although a Astro apparently requires a frame swap and possibly other mods like a back mounting im not entirely sure on that but I have seen it.

It was mostly in response to "what is a 2930 doing in an astro"

You said it fits in your previous post, it does not.

I'm not trying to be abrasive either. It's not cool seeing a cabinet importer spread false information.

I have had an Astro that had a MS2930 Monitor and tube on a MS8 frame that I had to convert back to a factory MS8 tube and chassis configuration.
It did fit in the Astro housing (the bezel doesn't match ofc)

There's others who I personally know that run MS9 and MS8's in Blast housings and I have seen that in person as well.

No the bezels don't match because the curvature on the glass face is wrong.

Its not false information to say if it fits inside the cabinet when it can.
It would be false information to say that Astros are supposed to come with MS2930's or are made to use them or vice versa

Maybe my phrasing was a bit off?? if so I apologize, but I don't appreciate being told that I'm spreading false information for things I have actually dealt with.

edit: sorry if im getting a little heated I didnt get my morning coffee today :(

Its a bit of sacraliage tbh to run either or in the wrong housing so lets just leave it at that.

I have had an Astro that had a MS2930 Monitor and tube on a MS8 frame that I had to convert back to a factory MS8 tube and chassis configuration.
It did fit in the Astro housing (the bezel doesn't match ofc)

There's others who I personally know that run MS9 and MS8's in Blast housings and I have seen that in person as well.

No the bezels don't match because the curvature on the glass face is wrong.

Its not false information to say if it fits inside the cabinet when it can.
It would be false information to say that Astros are supposed to come with MS2930's or are made to use them or vice versa

Maybe my phrasing was a bit off?? if so I apologize, but I don't appreciate being told that I'm spreading false information for things I have actually dealt with.

edit: sorry if im getting a little heated I didnt get my morning coffee today :(

Its a bit of sacraliage tbh to run either or in the wrong housing so lets just leave it at that.

Agreed, it is sacrilegious to do those kind of swaps.

I’m not trying to mince words or anything, maybe me saying “spreading false information” was a bit heavy handed. I apologize for that.

My whole point here is taken out of context, it sounds like one can just lift up an MS9 and plop it in a blast and life is good (or a 293x in an Astro). While it can be coerced to “fit”, there are major trade offs. I would suggest that doing a swap like this falls in the “advanced” category of stuff you can do to cabs. Certainly not for the feint of heart. There’s lot’s of trial and error before a compromise is found regarding how much of a bezel mismatch is palpable.

Back