What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
So what is the fundamentally “correct” way to go NAOMI to Framemeister? I’m way more familiar with DC in this instance using a VGA box with a sync combiner.

But considering NAOMI is VGA out, options are

1 - vga to HDMI adapter with audio in to combine the Audio out from the NAOMI into the single hdmi connection.

2 - VGA to SCART adapter with audio in? Then just slam the SCART into the JP21 adapter (and something that will combine the syncs)

3 - vga to component (least likely to be the best IMO)

Just curious what others have done? This is for capturing only. Normally I just jam the cable into the back of a monitor and I’m done with it lol

I've done this, so I will chime in. If you can get it to work, VGA converted to the D-sub for the Framemeister will be the best quality. Unfortunately for me, the cable that I had didn't work correctly (could've been a bad pin or a short, never ended up figuring it out) so I ended up taking RGB from the JAMMA connector into the D-sub. Quality was good, but the problem I had was that getting everything to sync with the Framemeister would be finnicky at times. Not all games had the same res/refresh so I'd have to fiddle with the Framemeister to get it to sync correctly.

More recently I got an OSSC and take VGA direct from the Naomi. That thing syncs flawlessly and the quality is fantastic.

Some of my friends have captured direct from the Naomi with some Elgato capture card (can't remember which one) and that worked well.

I have an Extron RGB 190xi unit that should be up to the task. It has VGA plus 3.5mm jack input and gives BNC RGBSHV plus pheonix connector audio out.
A BNC to Scart/8-pin mini DIN should feed into the Framemeister without issue... Pretty sure you can pass 31kHz through that way too?
You could also skip the VGA unit and pass audio from Naomi to BNC cable fairly easily?

I was going to use my Toro as it will work as a VGA sync combining box but unfortunately the makers don’t sell the replacement VGA adapter cable and they haven’t released the pinout so I can’t make my own.

I may try an Extron unless I can find the pinout for the Toro. So annoying the device is what I need but Behar Bros stopped selling the alternative cable

Did you speak with them directly? I got a VGA cable made for my Hanzo unit last year...

Did you speak with them directly? I got a VGA cable made for my Hanzo unit last year...

I emailed but never got a response. Guess I will try again.

Honestly I'd just take the pinout if they'd be willing to tell me.

I emailed but never got a response. Guess I will try again.

Honestly I'd just take the pinout if they'd be willing to tell me.
What if I'm willing to tell you? =)

Here's a basic pinout of the VGA cable I got with my Toro years ago. Seems three pins on the Toro side aren't populated.

I don't know if there are any components in the cable itself, but I hope this helps. Outlined the Toro side so can tell tell the orientation.

pinout.jpg

Is the 15K out from the Naomi's DE15 port H/V or combined sync? If it's combined sync, you may be able to simply use that and hack up a DE15 ("VGA") to SCART/15 pin RGB. This assumes that you're good with 15K and that the 15K DE15 out isn't H/V sync.

Otherwise, yeah, maybe VGA to HDMI converter and then plug it into one of the HDMI inputs of the Framemeister.

Let us know how it works out!

I would actually rather recommend to use VGA/31khz with OSSC if your goal is to get an hdmi output, this will give you better results than the framemeister (lower input lag and better picture) because the analog output would stick to 480p and the OSSC works better with progressive signals than the framemeister (whereas the framemeister works better with interlace).

What if I'm willing to tell you? =)

Here's a basic pinout of the VGA cable I got with my Toro years ago. Seems three pins on the Toro side aren't populated.

I don't know if there are any components in the cable itself, but I hope this helps. Outlined the Toro side so can tell tell the orientation.

pinout.jpg
You’re the best! Happy holidays. That’s all I needed!

I would actually rather recommend to use VGA/31khz with OSSC if your goal is to get an hdmi output, this will give you better results than the framemeister (lower input lag and better picture) because the analog output would stick to 480p and the OSSC works better with progressive signals than the framemeister (whereas the framemeister works better with interlace).
No my goal is to just get it into my Framemeister. No HDMI needed. Now that I have the pinout for the VGA to Toro cable it should be easy to get the 31khz signal into the Framemeister with the syncs combined.

from there I’ll use the 31khz SCART out into a JP21 to mini-din converte

for capture I can just split the signal with one end going into a monitor and the other into the framemeister anyway. So I can get lag free capture that way

for 15khz stuff I use RGB on a PVM for playing and then I take the RGB out of the PVM and into the Framemeister to capture, bypassing lag as well.

it’s a mess of cables but it works lol

Back