What's new

pixelvsprintdot

Student
Reaction score
Hi all, so I have a few CPS2 PCBs with a bit of dust in them and some Jamma edges that look like they need some help.
I wanted to ask what the community feels is the best way to clean the dust off PCBs ? is it just compressed air?
and what the community feels is the best way to clean Jamma edges? is it a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol? or something like DeoxIT D100L that I have seen YouTubers use?

1. Nylon anti static brushes.
2. Kim wipes or old t-shirts/rags (clean)
3. 91% or 99% IPA (not the syrup beer)

Spray, scrub, and then put down dry wipe/t-shirt/rag and go over again with brush to soak up while still wet.

For the edge connectors, use a fiberglass pen if really bad. If just a bit black, q-tip and IPA works fine. I finish with De-Oxit gold.

1. Nylon anti static brushes.
2. Kim wipes or old t-shirts/rags (clean)
3. 91% or 99% IPA (not the syrup beer)

Spray, scrub, and then put down dry wipe/t-shirt/rag and go over again with brush to soak up while still wet.

For the edge connectors, use a fiberglass pen if really bad. If just a bit black, q-tip and IPA works fine. I finish with De-Oxit gold.
Why Deoxit gold over the D line? Are the connectors gold on the cps2 A boards ?

Personal preference as I use it for other more sensitive connection as well. I just use 2 drops and spread it.

The sprays just contain a diluted concentration due to solvents. Both are fine.

First use brush to dust surface, then use contact cleaner, then use some moisture wiper to clean the remain of cleaner, last thing I usually do when doing recap, using IPA with some lint free foam swab, you wouldn't know how dirty it is until this step.

Some of the old boys over at UKVac used to put their pcb's in dishwasher back in the day & just made sure they were dry before using.

I myself have used soapy water on stuff like Sega sound amps ect.

Back