What's new

Slypty

Student
Reaction score
I just posted about recapping this MS-2930 chassis, I have my caps all set on Mouser but I'm seeing some evidence of prior work that is a little confusing.

This area deals with the Narrow/Wide Jumpers if you're putting your monitor in to shmups, there's a few nearby MOSFETs. It looks as if someone bridged the Drain of the FET to a Jumper labeled 'EY2.' Maybe it's for a good reason, I don't know what EY2 is.

The trouble with this monitor is that the screen would get shaky and smaller/narrower until nearly collapsing. Seeing this makes me think it's related, the top pic shows some serious heat transfer at the source FET. Maybe it was an attempt to lower heat? Or maybe it was just a bad trace, dunno.
20230926_012931.jpg
If anybody knows if I'm in deep doodoo please let me know before I buy a bag of caps. Thanks

20230926_012829.jpg

Looks like someone just patched the trace? The narrow pad probably came off.

It is a bridge, however there's a bad resistor nearby (out by 4K)
As well, this guy near the main power transformer is reading 192K, I'm seeing Red, Red, Yellow, Orange, Black... but for a 5-Band that would be 22.4 Ohm 0.25% tolerance. Can anyone confirm this? I think the last black bar has to be blue and it's just charred to make any sense.
It can't possibly be the other way, since Gold isn't used for values (only as multiplier or tolerance)

20230928_175742.jpg

20230928_175550.jpg

As well, this guy near the main power transformer is reading 192K, I'm seeing Red, Red, Yellow, Orange, Black... but for a 5-Band that would be 22.4 Ohm 0.25% tolerance. Can anyone confirm this?

The gold looking band is orange, which means 1000 multiplier. So 224k ohm. I just checked mine and got a reading of 221k. I think the last band is brown.

I am not going to lie, that terrifies me. I'd love to see what that looks like cleaned up though.

Honestly, it looks fine to me.

So many cold solder touch ups as well. I'll clean it up a bit tomorrow. Today was getting the goop off day.
The gold looking band is orange, which means 1000 multiplier. So 224k ohm. I just checked mine and got a reading of 221k. I think the last band is brown.

Honestly, it looks fine to me.
Ya I'm not going to sweat that bridge too much, though there's lots of dry soldering from when it was touched up, so I'll have to go over those.

Thanks for checking the resistor, saves me a massive headache. I was just about to buy a 22K. Saves me a lot of trouble!

Back