What's new
Can you guys showing me the socket I can get for solder on PCB?

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered a V1 as I was able to order a kit for £30 delivered. :)

The other thing is can anyone tell me what I would need to name the ISO file?

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered a V1 as I was able to order a kit for £30 delivered. :)

The other thing is can anyone tell me what I would need to name the ISO file?

Incorrect information post removed to prevent confusion

Correct information linked below by @hatmoose

Last edited:
My v1 kit arrived today. Took me maybe 45 minutes to get the board assembled and then a further 15 mins updating it and popping the CD image on it.

Third Strike booted up first try and it appears to be running all good. Unable to test writing a new game currently due to no controller for my HAS but I think that means it can see the CD.

V1 works fine on CPS3 with the new firmware. V2 is probably going to be easier to get if it’s using a Pi Pico
I did some digging around with the V2 files and etc.

These are super easy to manufacture from JLCPCB, the gerbers, part list and pick/place files are all pre populated and JLC will make them for you for not too much money - then just need to solder the 50 pin SCSI connector, the Pi Pico, and the 4 pin power. Do recommend this.

These are nearly impossible to manufacture at home, there is a whole mountain of 0402 SMD components which are fiddly AF, and one of the voltage regulators is a weird value (2.85? really?) which is out of stock at both Digi and Mouser. Do not recommend this.

The $US52 price tag that these seem to go for fully assembled seems reasonable.

I did some digging around with the V2 files and etc.

These are super easy to manufacture from JLCPCB, the gerbers, part list and pick/place files are all pre populated and JLC will make them for you for not too much money - then just need to solder the 50 pin SCSI connector, the Pi Pico, and the 4 pin power. Do recommend this.

These are nearly impossible to manufacture at home, there is a whole mountain of 0402 SMD components which are fiddly AF, and one of the voltage regulators is a weird value (2.85? really?) which is out of stock at both Digi and Mouser. Do not recommend this.

The $US52 price tag that these seem to go for fully assembled seems reasonable.
/me sligs 60 dollars to hatmoose

Hey, maintainer of BlueSCSI here!

and one of the voltage regulators is a weird value (2.85? really?)

Yes, 2.85v - that is the signaling level of SCSI. Some try to get by using 3v, which is probably ok, but when dealing with 30+ year old machines we thought it'd be better to pay the few cents extra for staying in spec.

These are nearly impossible to manufacture at home
Ya... Most of the success of V1 was how simple it was to assemble at home, we wanted to keep as much of the assemble it yourself as we could. The reason the desktop uses 0402 is to share parts with the DB25(which we hope to make even smaller) and Powerbook/laptop version. The KiCad source files are provided under a creative commons non-commerical, so if you wanted to modify it to fit your needs you could. We also provide all the manufacturing files as you mention for JLCPCB, which makes the process pretty simple to get 5 or 10. We sell PCB's about at cost if you want just 1 or 2.

I'll lurk here from time to time, feel free to @ me if you have any questions about the project - but looks like you've all got it!

Back