What's new

Bitis

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello, I've owned this bootleg street fighter 2 pcb for a while, but it has had a problem with sound samples from the beginning. Thought at first that it might be my non-adjustable power supply (supergun + atx) hence I didn't wanna bother seller in case it was problem on my end, but ever since getting my cab and testing it, it seems supplied voltage doesn't affect the problem. Essentially normal music tracks works great, but anything to do with voice, sfx, drums etc. comes out as something completely other than what it should be. After a bit of of comparison with CPS1 schematics I found out where the sample eprom is located and found some earlier repairs done to it. There is another space reserved for an additional chip which I think is probably reserved in case more sounds need to be added to samples. Repairs however are a bit odd since they don't seem to correspond with how the pinouts should be. Now I'm thinking should I just remove the bridges and wires added and instead connect the pins that seem to have been fixed before to the ones where there is no chip. That or add a socket to the free spot and move my sample eprom to that slot. I did find picture of a variation of this bootleg where the eprom chip was on the other slot while the one occupied on mine was free so I assume both slots technically are identical and I could potentially just transfer over my chip to get it working as should.

Also I wonder if anyone would have better guess on which of the eproms are the ones needed to be swapped in order to change version of SF2? I've seen kits for Rainbow Edition, Hyper Fighting etc. and was thinking about possibility of getting Hyper Fighting kit in order to swap out the eproms depending on which one I want to play. My guess is that they're the ones just next to the Motorola 68000 cpu, but I'm not entirely sure.

Attachments

• freeslot.jpg
    freeslot.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 53
  • sf2bootlegpcb.jpg
    sf2bootlegpcb.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 50
  • sf2bootlegrepairs.jpg
    sf2bootlegrepairs.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 51
After studying the rom chip for a while and comparing it to OKI MSM6295 chip I found a bad trace on leg A10. After fixing that I got the sound effects to sound reasonable enough to make something out of them and came into conclusion that I have totally wrong ROM chip for sound installed in my SF2 since I doubt SF2 is supposed to have sound effects like "The King of Royal Rumble", "WE SNACK ON DANGER, DINE ON DEATH!", "TO BURY EVERY GERBIL FACED GEEK WE FACE" and "Hulk Hogan!". If I had to guess I probably have WWF WrestleFest sample rom installed.

Oh well atleast the board now works. Will have to see if anyone within Finland can flash me a chip with correct samples.

Back