What's new
A bit off the current direction of things, but i think I may have a bootleg of Sangokushi II. Not sure if it will help in the overall project but I could have a look over the weekend. It's definitely not a CPS 1.5 board its on. Some Chinese ripoff with Capcom written on it. Is this something that could help?

this is awesome i dont have a multi kit but I'm planning on getting one count on me on donations I can spare 50 dollars from my next paycheck I cut my direct tv bill since my daughters think the Internet its better lol. I agree.

A bit off the current direction of things, but i think I may have a bootleg of Sangokushi II. Not sure if it will help in the overall project but I could have a look over the weekend. It's definitely not a CPS 1.5 board its on. Some Chinese ripoff with Capcom written on it. Is this something that could help?
I don't know, but hopefully someone who does will chime in! I think this is our third(?) CPS1.5 bootleg that's been offered to be looked at for the cause, and I think that's awesome.

Anything might help. For me the bootlegs weren't a source for a fix: Any routines triggering the dying enemies in Punisher were adjusted by the bootleggers, not nullified so it sure is not an easy 'find the differences' between the rom sets.

I say we go ahead and get the working Punisher rom completed at the $1000, plus all notes on the process, along with whatever work was done on C&D as proof that the work can be done. And then, should we consider opening up a crowdfunding campaign to get the rest of the games converted??? This has the potential to be a huge success in the arcade community I think.
If @neocps1 doesn't want to work on these conversion projects any longer beyond completing Punisher, then this is the only option.

We need a data package to offer up to anyone else keen to take up the reins here.

So far we have Punisher (complete), C&D / Pnickies and SFII CE (partial).

Pnickies ? That's a CPS2 game IIRC. There is also CPS1 port, but no CPS1.5 afaik.

Pnickies ? That's a CPS2 game IIRC. There is also CPS1 port.
Afaik there isn't a dump of the cps2 version and it was just a proto.

Neocps1 converted the cps1 version to cps2 without sound.

Pnickies ? That's a CPS2 game IIRC. There is also CPS1 port, but no CPS1.5 afaik.
I've seen the CPS1 PCB on YAJ. Never a CPS2 version anywhere (even though it shows up in some CPS2 lists on the web). I'm curious if a CPS2 version ever existed or if it's just some long lived rumor.
-ud

Location to switch addresses to get Muscle Bomber Duo (world) to use to talk to the z80 on cps2 after it's the z80 rom been decrypted.
0x6d8
0xcc2
0xcce
0xcf4

Just change the 0xF1#### to 0x61#### other than z80 being encrypted nothing else needs to be done for the audio.

Again how is this so hard compared to regular cps1?

I think the vast majority of us have no comparison for how hard it is, and are simply going off of information given to us by those who have made an effort to accomplish it.

If you don't think it's that difficult, there's absolutely money in it if you want to work on the project :P.

Location to switch addresses to get Muscle Bomber Duo (world) to use to talk to the z80 on cps2 after it's the z80 rom been decrypted.
0x6d8
0xcc2
0xcce
0xcf4

Just change the 0xF1#### to 0x61#### other than z80 being encrypted nothing else needs to be done for the audio.

@Asure and @l_oliveira were able to get CPS 1.5 games up and running on CPS2 with sound, but differences between the graphics hardware and game protections were the biggest barriers (e.g. sprite priorities) causing major bugs.

Solving what @Darksoft quoted from @neocps1 is the particularly hard part:

"the other remaining games make extensive use of the graphic chip and sprite priorities so they would need to have more modifications in the code and graphics like:
* Split scroll layers.
* Lower priority stay scrolls the other must be converted to scrolls made of sprites
* Sync all.
* Take care about palette effects at the same time"
I guess you could say porting CPS 1.5 games is "less hard" than CPS1 to CPS2, because you have compatible sound hardware.

This is what makes these conversions more desirable, because CPS2 has QSound hardware. You could convert other CPS1 games to CPS2 without sound, but no one really wants to play arcade games without sound.

With HF i would had to make sure nothing wrote at the end of the Work ram (0xFFFFF0-0xFFFFFC) which would of taken alot reworking of code as well cause that is part of how CPS2 deals with sprties on dead/decrypted boards which alot of cps1.5 games don't do as well.

The real reason nobody done these ports was mainly everyone lost interest.

And one more cherry on top the games will run faster on cps2 cause capcom actually just didn't sync for vblank so it'll just run as fast as the cpu will allow it.

The real reason nobody done these ports was mainly everyone lost interest.
Hmm ... you'd think the wide availability of a CPS2 Multi and the lack of wide availablity for a CPS1 Multi would reignite general interest in porting CPS1 games to CPS2 again - especially for the most popular CPS1 games.

The problem is that the CPS1 games (at least those that people typically want) are reasonably priced and common enough that you can actually own them, or convert to the less common/more expensive games easily using cheaper games.

The level of difficulty to convert CPS1 to the CPS2 platform outweighs the benefit - CPS1.5 is a different story since they're not common, all the games are expensive so conversions from a cheaper game are possible but it's still expensive and the Q sound hardware is common to CPS1.5 and CPS2

The problem with CPS1.5 is as Darksoft has said, Punisher is a much easier (relatively) conversion than C&D, WoF or SNSM and is by far the most popular game out of the 4 so the incentive isn't there for the other games on the platform on top of substantially more work being required

Here's a couple of pics of my Sangokushi II bootleg. I did run the Rom test and it failed the Q-sound and the Epprom. Let me know if its of any use.
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of my Sangokushi II bootleg. I did run the Rom test and it failed the Q-sound and the Epprom. Let me know if its of any use.
I'm actually more interested in the 2 big QFP custom chips.
Could they be CPS-A-01 and CPS-B-21 reproductions?

Are there any socketed ROMs you can dump ?

If it's anything like the SF2CE and Punisher bootlegs I have they're all soldered in - all mask ROMs too rather than EPROMs too which is interesting

Maybe a bootleg version has some of the protections removed, but I don't think it will fix the problems with sprite priority which is the biggesst issue here.

Back