What's new

Tuanny

Student
Reaction score
Hi guys how do you guys set default player 1 and 2 on PC using the brooks board. sometimes my player 1 becomes player 2 on reboot then i swap the boards around and its fine for some time then it gets swapped around again. using windows 11 cant figure out how to set default player 1

As far as I know, you can't. The only thing I've found that kind of helps is to plug p1 and p2 into two different USB headers to try to get them onto two different controllers on the motherboard. Windows enumerates them arbitrarily.

I tried writing a powershell script to disable and then reenable in order, but the functions don't actually work. Get-PnpDevice, Disable-PnpDevice, and Enable-PnpDevice should do it but they don't.

I've been meaning to see if it's doable with a real language but I haven't gotten around to it.

This is a solution I've never got around to trying, but have bookmarked for one of those days i'm bored enough to muck with:

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=39240

Solution summary: Uses Windows WDK tool 'devcon' to identify and disable Player2 USB device on user logoff, and re-enable upon user login. This forces Player1 controller to be detected first by the system and gain direct input/xinput P1 role.
Must be run as user with admin privileges
Skill level required: novice to moderate.

My lazy version was to put a usb hub with power buttons on it inside the control panel and simply leave player 2 off until I'm ready to play something with a second player. Does mean needing to leave the control panel unlocked so you can get in there and press a button. Although I'm sure with some soldering ability this could be routed up to buttons on an aux panel. Link to the usb hub I've been using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPMEOYM

My chuthlu setup was not even connection at boot by the time I was done fiddling with the linked solution. I probably make mistakes.

Anyway I got two polycade devices and my only complaints are that there is a reset command that must be input and requires you to know which buttons are A B RT and RB, and to press those. Sadly windows controller setup tool doesn’t tell you which those are. I had a spare TR Fightstick which i used to plug the devices into, to trigger the reset. This should be two pins you can short, or a button on the pcb.

Also the devices do seem to enumerate consistently, which is they key, though mame thinks p1 is p2 and vice versa. but for $28 I can work with that…

My chuthlu setup was not even connection at boot by the time I was done fiddling with the linked solution. I probably make mistakes.

Anyway I got two polycade devices and my only complaints are that there is a reset command that must be input and requires you to know which buttons are A B RT and RB, and to press those. Sadly windows controller setup tool doesn’t tell you which those are. I had a spare TR Fightstick which i used to plug the devices into, to trigger the reset. This should be two pins you can short, or a button on the pcb.

Also the devices do seem to enumerate consistently, which is they key, though mame thinks p1 is p2 and vice versa. but for $28 I can work with that…

I had a similar issue with MAME and the DaemonBite Encoders, my P1 was the top USB port and my P2 was the bottom USB port. Swapping P1 to the bottom and P2 to the top fixed the issue.

No matter the usb port used, for me player 1 is “Joy2” in mame AND “Joy0” in attract-mode.

Player 2 is “Joy1” in both. Go figure.

But hey it’s consistent now

Back