What's new
Want To Buy

AgentHero

Beginner
Reaction score
Apparently, one of my two Maximum Tune setups is DOA. The caps on the core board leaked, so I need a replacement solution. Will consider either a plain solution or one that will also allow netbooting, because I wouldn't mind trying that out. Also wouldn't be upset if it came with Outrun 2 SP. Let me know how much you want for whatever it is you have. Appreciate any help with this. :thumbsup:

...oh yeah, I could also use a card reader or two since I have a stack of MT cards. Those guys taunting me in the game must be stopped.

Can you not clean up the pcb and do repairs? What does the damage look like?

Ken at IrepairSEGA walked me through diagnosing it today over the phone. He said it is likely beyond repair.

Did your 2 WMMT cabs not come with card readers?

There's 1 reader on ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMUM-TUNE-...ade-game-part-s310-2-/162270424281?nav=SEARCH

Here's a card reader emulator I put together if you don't get a physical reader:
NAOMI 2/Chihiro/Triforce Card Reader Emulator (Initial D3/WMMT/Mario Kart)

If you can't handle repairs on your own, there are probably a few options for you to send it for repair.
It has the tray and wiring, but no reader.

Chihiro's don't come up that often. Usually on eBay they're overpriced. I think there's a seller who guts cabinets and sells parts for crazy prices and has a couple of Type 3's listed now... (AVIP cable sold separately at a ridiculous price...)

You might be able to source one from Yahoo Auctions Japan for cheaper, but no guarantees you're getting a working one.

I like Ken but to him unrepairable isn't always unrepairable but rather a measure of his charge per hour for repair and him simply thinking it's "not worth it".

He is not an arcade hobbyist. He does repairs mostly for operators trying to keep current games working. If it would take too much time to do he will deem it unrepairable. In most cases it is repairable but maybe not cost efficient.

Our experience with the Hikaru pcbs is a good example. I pinpointed my faulty Nascar pcb's issue to be a loose BGA processor. He said he wouldn't do it. It was unrepairable. But the real reason was the time it would take combined with a potential for additional damage during shipping. (Very common with Hikaru) We told him we would take on any risk for whatever price if he would redo all of the BGA processors. He still refused but gave me info on how to do it myself.

Moral of this episode is simply: Anything is repairable if parts are available. In this case the parts needed are capacitors, alcohol, and *maybe* trace wire. Oh yeah, and time. Now if it's a cooked GPU then that would be a different story.

The term "cooked" was used since there is a fairly sizable ring of discoloration in the area where such a thing would be of concern. If I can find a working unit, I'll happily sell my box to someone at a fair "as-is" price so they can resurrect it.

If it comes down to selling mine, please remember this thread when offering $50 shipped. EVERYTHING can be saved--it's practically working with just a bit of cleaner and wire! Not exactly motivated to do anything other than throw it into a parts box when offered $35 after fees and shipping.

Here's an idea:
You've got a Type 1 that works, right? If it's the base Xbox board that's bad, you might be able to swap parts from one into the other and build a working Type 3.

Anyone know if that's possible?

See, that would be great. I'm ok with being done with my HotD 3 setup but I don't want to tear that board apart unless it's known that it would be a solution.

You've got a Type 1 that works, right? If it's the base Xbox board that's bad, you might be able to swap parts from one into the other and build a working Type 3.

Anyone know if that's possible?
I'd also be interested to know if this works as I also have a cooked Type 3.

Different platform, but I swapped the board that has the CPU from a Type 1 Triforce to a Type 3. Works great.

See, that would be great. I'm ok with being done with my HotD 3 setup but I don't want to tear that board apart unless it's known that it would be a solution.
Since you've already been in touch with Ken@ireparisega, he may be a good source for this answer if no members here are able to confirm for sure. I bet he's done his fair share of board swapping, so would now what's possible.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible. The type 3 uses an asic, and the type 1 a fpga, but the bios is capable of determining automatically to what it's connected. If for wathever reason it wouldn't work, it wouldn't cause any harm to the board trying it out.

I am trying to run the chihiro bios on a normal xbox mobo, but after several months of reversing and dissasembly, it still doesn't seem to be willing to run.
I installed the additional memory chips and converted the xcodes, but there are more protection issues that need to be fixed.
The chihiro mainboard is nearly impossible to find on it's own, and only Mo at Videotronics and a couple of others seem to have complete units in stock so that they can set their own price tag which is indeed high.

Did your 2 WMMT cabs not come with card readers?

There's 1 reader on ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMUM-TUNE-...ade-game-part-s310-2-/162270424281?nav=SEARCH

Here's a card reader emulator I put together if you don't get a physical reader:
NAOMI 2/Chihiro/Triforce Card Reader Emulator (Initial D3/WMMT/Mario Kart)

If you can't handle repairs on your own, there are probably a few options for you to send it for repair.
Woah!! I need to pay attention more closely (or just research for alternatives vs just buying :) ) - That is awesome winteriscoming!! Definitely going to check it out. Mad ups!

There appear to actually be a few card readers on eBay currently. 2 from the seller I mentioned earlier who guts cabs and lists parts pretty high. He's got 2 readers for 125 each OBO, as-is, though they don't come with any wiring at all, and I'd be surprised if you're missing the card reader that you have the wiring going all the way up to the reader like would be needed for these 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/maximum-tun...012789?hash=item3d2bfd1ab5:g:d5MAAOSwImRYNTyY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/maximum-tun...011766?hash=item3d2bfd16b6:g:oVUAAOSwiONYNTv0

You'd probably be better off with this one that has some wiring up to a connector on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMUM-TUN...424281?hash=item25c8122cd9:g:E~gAAOSw6BtVVS~1

Here are the pricey Chihiros I mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/sega-naomi-...770738?hash=item3ad30a4cb2:g:wKsAAOSw5cNYNTR-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sega-naomi-...686772?hash=item3d2be8def4:g:CQQAAOSwB09YM~ZJ

Note that they don't come with AVIP cables, which are needed for booting, but you can pull it from your broken board if you end up buying one.

He has one AVIP cable listed separately:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/sega-naomi-...742954?hash=item3d2be9ba6a:g:VGIAAOSw5cNYNAUK

I honestly don't know what a decent fair price is a for a working Type 3 these days. They don't come up a lot from what I have seen recently, though I don't look that often anymore. I think if I saw one for under $400 buy-it-now and it was complete, I'd consider it... $300 or less and I'd probably pounce. I got screwed on my last purchase of a Type 3 that was BIN for $385+shipping because it ended up missing a network board that I had to pay extra for from another source, putting it at over $450 all said and done, and I wouldn't have paid that out right for a complete working unit.

Edit: And to put this all into a pricing perspective: I paid $350 for my OR2SP cab that needed a $15 stick of RAM and everything worked... so a complete cab and working Type 3 Chihiro for less than I paid for a complete Chihiro on its own. Trying to get parts is way less cost effective than buying a working full cab outright.

I like Ken but to him unrepairable isn't always unrepairable but rather a measure of his charge per hour for repair and him simply thinking it's "not worth it".

He is not an arcade hobbyist. He does repairs mostly for operators trying to keep current games working. If it would take too much time to do he will deem it unrepairable. In most cases it is repairable but maybe not cost efficient.

Our experience with the Hikaru pcbs is a good example. I pinpointed my faulty Nascar pcb's issue to be a loose BGA processor. He said he wouldn't do it. It was unrepairable. But the real reason was the time it would take combined with a potential for additional damage during shipping. (Very common with Hikaru) We told him we would take on any risk for whatever price if he would redo all of the BGA processors. He still refused but gave me info on how to do it myself.

Moral of this episode is simply: Anything is repairable if parts are available. In this case the parts needed are capacitors, alcohol, and *maybe* trace wire. Oh yeah, and time. Now if it's a cooked GPU then that would be a different story.
Dont mean to get this thread OT, but I have 2 hikaru nascar cages with the cpus just off. Im not really a nascar fan (ID3, 5 and 8 @ home :) ), but wouldnt mind trying to get them repaired depending on the price.

Sorry - back to your regularly scheduled program!

Does it actually work without a network board (does it show something on screen) or does it give you the black screen of dead?

Does it actually work without a network board (does it show something on screen) or does it give you the black screen of dead?
Chihiro and Triforce Type 3 both show something on the screen without a network board. I think if you have them in GD-ROM mode, you can even boot a game. If it's in netboot mode, I think you get a network board error, but don't quote me on either of these statements. I had my network board out of my Triforce while I was troubleshooting and repairing it, and it was showing stuff on the screen.

Back