What's new

Urabutbl

Student
Reaction score
So, this is some real monitor newbie-shit so bear with me:

I bought a cheap House of the Dead 3 upright - it's a little bit worn, but everything works, the Chihiro looks to be in excellent condition, and the shotguns are present and correct. However, the original Nanao 29" was ripped out many, many years ago and replaced with a 24" LCD by, I assume, the same US pizza-place that all the tokens I found when cleaning the cabinet came from.

Now, this cabinet is mostly for my kids and wife (she's a big HotD-fan), so the LCD isn't a huge problem (it works fine), but I DO have an old 28" Grundig CRT television I could get from storage... as luck (?) would have it, it would actually fit the cabinet absolutely perfectly, and the gun-sensor frame would cover the TV-ness of the monitor.

Now, it would seem to my absolute ignorant-about-monitors-self that all I'd have to do was get a VGA to Scart converter (or maybe even find my old XBOX-Scart connector...?) and hook up the TV... But at the same time, I know that I know next to nothing about the Chihiro, and that nothing is ever easy when it comes to old arcade-games.

I'm loathe to shell out for a new old Nanao, so if it's not possible to use the TV I'll just stick with the LCD (again, it plays just fine), but it would just be nice to know if this easy hack is doable.

Much obliged for any advice!

Last edited:
You'll definitely have to downscale the video from 31khz to 15khz if you want to use your TV.

This said, Sweden has tons of arcade gear (I'm always jealous of this). I'm sure someone has a 31khz 29" screen for you, they're not as sought after as 15khz ones. Hit up Arkadtorget.

Ah, it only outputs 31khz? For some reason I thought you could get the Chihiro to switch down... damn.

But as you say, I'll put out a notice for a 29" on Arkadtorget, I was just hoping to fix it for free :)

No, I definitely believe you. I had it in my head that they could, but I have absolutely no reason nor historical precedent to suggest that I know what I'm talking about ;D

Probably I've just confused the actual Chihiro with a Tri-sync in a cab with a Chihiro.

If it helps: Try to get an old Metz 29" with 605g Chassis. They are able to display 31khz VGA Signal and you can even sharpen the picture. I have a 28" Metz Linea 70 in one of my Naomis and the Shanghai Novel loses in every single way. They are still quite common over here. Mostly you can pick them up for less than 20€ in as new condition. The two I have were produced in the mid-2000s.

Back