What's new
Hi all,

It's been a while, and a lot of testing!

Well i think i have officially given up with CF boot, other than the card Barcia provided with the adapter, nothing has worked, and i've got my way through at least 15 different brands and sizes of CF card now, and none of them have worked, and i've tried with win 10, 7, xp, server 2016 with IDE CF and USB, i just cant get them to boot no matter what i do, and at no point do i ever get an error in either piece of writing software.
How are you reading the security sector from the cards ?

Hi RTW,

I was using an IDE to CF adapter (trying with native IDE on motherboard and via PCIe to IDE card in 2 different PC's) with noamicf.exe tool first to get the code, then verifying code is correct with ataid.

I have literally just now got hold of an old laptop with PCMCIA, so i'm going to verify the ID's again this evening just to make sure.

I will give it another try once I install an OS, but i've honestly had zero luck so far!

Make sure to format the CF cards before writing to them again. I've noticed that on one of my PCs that if I dont format the card it will switch to the last code written to the card even if I had changed it in Naomicf.

I am not familiar with NaomiCF but gcfi will always populate the sector again.

@Ravepants if you do not find a solution, you can send a card to me so I can determine what is going on :D

Thanks for the replies, i still have a little hope left!

And i'll be sure to send you the cards for testing if I still can't get them going! thanks.

maybe in the near-future the dimm firmware will be patched to kill the check - it has to be on a lot of people's "to-do" list
if mame emulated it i would have already tried.

maybe in the near-future the dimm firmware will be patched to kill the check - it has to be on a lot of people's "to-do" list
it will be quite simple patch to disable all that CF-related security stuff, so it will work with regular binaries, no need to use special tools.
but there will be side effect - it will be not compatible with original and "original-like" CFs, which have specific sector encrypted.

you say that, but a more comprehensive patch could check the deskey first and only jump over the check if it's zero'd
although i doubt most people would care about original CF's

it will be quite simple patch to disable all that CF-related security stuff, so it will work with regular binaries, no need to use special tools.but there will be side effect - it will be not compatible with original and "original-like" CFs, which have specific sector encrypted.
I made that patch for Triforce and Chihiro and as I simply don't let it do any XOR with that specific sector.Thanks to that you can just drag and drop the files to the CF.

@stj The keychip decrypts the whole binary and has nothing to do with that specific sector that @MetalliC is talking about.

Most issues people are experiencing are not related to the security sector.

If the sector is wrong the game loads 3 times and flags an error.

However if the game does not load at all something else is malfunctioning.

This is how the original CF box looks, notice the extra voltage regulators, decoupling capacitors, resistors etc ?

http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/Sega_CF_box

This is how the original CF box looks, notice the extra voltage regulators, decoupling capacitors, resistors etc ?

wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/Sega_CF_box
IMO this thing needs to be reproed. I can supply the hardware if someone wants to take up the challenge.

it has to run at 3.3v - that's the main thing.

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a CF setup and I'm having some inconstancies when booting up. With used Cisco 512MB cards I got off eBay, it boots up every time. I also have some Memory Partner Ones and Kingston ones that sometimes work. I re-flashed some of them and they were working at first but now it just boots up a black screen, never get the Naomi screen with them. I'm using the newest version of GFCI on Windows 10. Checked the DIMM, Swapped out the ram, the battery, the small board, the serial cable. No difference. Also checked my voltages off my Sun Power Supply and I'm at 3.3, 5.1 and 12.2. Do you know what causes a no boot to a black screen based on the CF card? I know my security sector is right. I also have better luck getting them to boot if I first boot a known good one and then power down and try a picky one.

Any help would be appreciated.

@maiden2099 so what you are saying is that all is good if you use a Cisco 512 MB card ?

What kind of CF setup do you have ? Pictures of the adapter please.

@rtw Yeah, Cisco cards give me no trouble at all, can re-write them and they work first try. But the Memory Partner and Kingston ones work occasionally but mostly not. Checked the voltage on the reader and its coming in at 3.304V which should be in perfect range of any CF card.
Cards.jpg

Attachments

• Reader.jpg
    Reader.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 84
From your description it sounds like those cards are not compatible.

Keep buying Cisco :)

From the picture I see they are cards I provided which I found to work great for me consistently. Thsts the frustrating thing about Naomi. There is so much involved that its hard to troubleshoot and recreate problems.

it could also be different firmware in some cards.

i had a problem with a crucial card in something once - native IDE mode was not right.
i contacted crucial and they swapped the card for one with a different firmware revision but the same model card - and it worked.

i know a similar thing happend with sdcards in nintendo handhelds - it was a specific firmware revision in some sandisk cards and the company did an exchange for people.

Is it possible that its the multi bios I'm using? I have a eeprom programmer on the way to make a latest CF compatible US BIOS chip.

Back