What's new
Are you playing it on a CRT? It’s pretty simple to tell if it’s 50 or 60 Hz,

50 Hz PAL will play in slow motion and have a letter box screen.

60 Hz will play full speed and full screen.

My guess it’s already been modded.

Are you playing it on a CRT? It’s pretty simple to tell if it’s 50 or 60 Hz,

50 Hz PAL will play in slow motion and have a letter box screen.

60 Hz will play full speed and full screen.

My guess it’s already been modded.
It still has pretty severe black bars, especially when compared to the MiSTer core.

Yes, I'm playing it on a JVC 36 D-series. I enabled 48hz in the service menu. I guess, I should turn it off and see how the Neo Geo operates.

*Update* So, turned the console back on and turned off the 48hz in the service menu. With the setting disabled, the picture can't sync and is basically scrolling endlessly.

I'll explain my setup as best as I can:

JVC 36 D Series
Extron Crosspoint 12 x 12 Component Out
HD Retrovision Cables and Connectors
Neo Geo AES 3-6

I believe the mod was attempted but not finished. So, I think I'll need to either revert it back to stock and then redo it, or I can try and patch it up to just complete the work that was started. My first question would be obtaining the timing crystals. I haven't been able to make too much sense out of that. I have general grasp on the frequencies, just want to make sure the size is correct and would fit the console. Would appreciate help on that.

I was also reading up on the 3-6 and there looks to be an NTSC routing option for the wire/resistor that connects the chip to the PAL 1. Is a standard wire fine to solder as a bridge, or should I use a resistor? Is this necessary or not? I think my overall goal at this point is just to do pure NTSC conversion and not work in the weeds of PAL color timings.

Last edited:
Well I finished all the mods now but never got the games to play properly.. it’s been glitching very easily since I got it but I just figured dirty connector.. but it looks really clean and no bent pins. Cleaned it several times with isopropanol, CC and thin fabric, and of course the carts too.. but it rarely boots and when it does it’s enough to just touch the cart to have it crash.. even reflowed all solderpoints for the connector.

And since there are no good replacement connectors around then it’s basically a paperweight. Jeez that’s irritating

I was able to fix the sync issue by soldering a wire to the NTSC pad on PAL1. This allows me to use the Neo Geo under NTSC signals now and the image doesn’t have borders/cropping.

Still, I would like recommendations for the timing crystals. Just incase I run into issues down the road.

Next up is to RGB mod and install Unibios.

3.58MHz for NTSC, 4.43MHz for PAL

Unrelated to the above crystals by the way, I prefer the slightly faster crystals to the 24 Mhz ones for better picture quality, but they will both work, and won't cause the stability issus you're having.

You can build replacement oscillators that customize to any speed too.

Back