What's new
Thanks for "showing me the way to the scsi2sd wisdom" to both of you guys ^^
I think i'll just need an SD card reader now (my PC doesn't have one, LOL :facepalm:

I have a CPS3 UltraSIMM kit and original SF3 New Generation cart on battery here that I'm programming and testing for @Anselmo .

With the cart, I've removed the battery, carefully desoldered the flash chip, erased it, reprogrammed it with the UltraBIOS_for_custom_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_NOCD file and resoldered the chip into place. It boots up to the region select menu but it freezes after selecting a region no matter what region I select. I've tried switching games but the same behavior occurs. Everything boots and works fine when I switch carts to my Darksoft cart.

Is there something else I need to do with this cart to get it working? Did I flash the wrong file? I verified that the chip was flashed correctly before resoldering it to the board.

Well your Darksoft cart is standard and the other cart has the custom FW on it. Since it boots with your DS cart that means you need to reprogram the two program simms with the custom files instead of the standard files. ;)

Well your Darksoft cart is standard and the other cart has the custom FW on it. Since it boots with your DS cart that means you need to reprogram the two program simms with the custom files instead of the standard files. ;)

Yep, that was the problem - I had flashed the wrong code to SIMMs 1 and 2. I reprogrammed them and it's working 100% now.

Thanks for setting me straight @Mitsurugi-w - I should have known better on that issue! :P

This game was one of the first ones on the system and a couple of things are different.

Depending on which region you have, you can see things like this:

Red_Earth_Location_Test.png

or things like this:

Red_Earth_Character_Check.png

or even like this.........

Red_Earth_ASIA_NCD.png

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Does Red Earth Asia NoCd bios work fine with the original simms? I mean, if with this version the problem that the game pauses in parts is already fixed?
And if the problem persists, there is some method to play the NoCd version without pause problems but with the original simms?

Yes, there is a very simple method: Plug a CD Drive.

The NoCD version is something new and no version is available for regular Simms.yet.

I finally got around to setting up the ProMan and desoldering my bios chip, but I'm having difficulty getting started and was hoping someone who's used these before could help.

I'm using the NOR TSOP48 adapter with the 29F400 chip, When I load up their software and click Detect, I get error messages:

Code:
<Chip information>;
ID: 0x4_0x0_0x0_0xfedcfedc
Manufacturer: unknown
Part number: unknown
1.Please make sure chip is placed will in socket.
  Pin 1 is placed at the correct point.
2.Please make sure the jumpers (if exist) on the adaptor board are correct.
3.For unsupported part number, please use self-defined parameters.
4.If this is a NAND chip, please use software and adaptor board of NAND Flash.

I assumed the chip wasn't seated properly, so I've seated and reseated it a few dozen times, but never get a different message. I've never done this before, so I assume this is just user error on my part.

Attachments

• PXL_20210426_063827621.jpg
    PXL_20210426_063827621.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 2021-04-25_23-44-16_NOR062_Beta_A.png
    2021-04-25_23-44-16_NOR062_Beta_A.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 131
Those type of adapters need super clean legs of the chip. Make sure they are super clean.

Those type of adapters need super clean legs of the chip. Make sure they are super clean.
I thought I got them very clean, took an xacto knife and very carefully scraped them. However, I think I screwed this up worse than I initially thought. I decided to reinstall the chip in the cart just to verify I didn't damage it (maybe by overheating it when removing?) and sadly I instantly get this screen when trying to start up.

Attachments

• PXL_20210426_082447068.jpg
    PXL_20210426_082447068.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 104
You clean those with Desoldering wire aka Solder wick + plux and heat with a xacto knife, you will damage the legs. Those chips are not expensive, I would just buy one, program it and solder on the place.

You clean those with Desoldering wire aka Solder wick + plux and heat with a xacto knife, you will damage the legs. Those chips are not expensive, I would just buy one, program it and solder on the place.
Thanks, I'll do that. Is there a good source for them? I'm seeing many variations out there

Would this be the appropriate replacement? It has a different dash number, 70 instead of 12.
http://www.buyicnow.com/it.php?i=1117
FUJITSU MBM29F400TA-70PFTN

If there's a better place to get them though, I would greatly appreciate the help.

@mikaeltarquin I have one I can send you at my cost - DM me.

Also - on your adapter, is there a setting for voltage? You will want 5v for this chip.

Matt
There are jumper settings, but I'm unclear on the labeling and haven't found much documentation for what they do. Here's what they look like.

Attachments

• 16194554329641245417061449333683.jpg
    16194554329641245417061449333683.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Ok I'm just bad at soldering I guess. I reflowed a suspect joint at one of the pins and am at least back where I started! Those programmer adapters must just be extremely picky, I'll have to give it another go.

Attachments

• PXL_20210426_182901494.jpg
    PXL_20210426_182901494.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 94
When you remove a chip and try to reprogram you have to get ALL of the solder off the pins or the adapter will give you troubles. solder wick is the best way to remove it all. I usually heat the wick by holding it down on my table with the soldering iron. Then i slide the chip on the table into the solder wick. Works great.

Back