What's new

garou81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I bought an alpha 2 on battery, as soon as I recieved it I began the process of removing said battery and replacing it with an openkey. Was trying to do too many things at once and I inverted the 5v and ground jumper wires. Upon testing the game The graphics were messed up. I fixed the error but now the game constantly reboots after the rom check
b_34_install1.jpg

Tried razoola suicide tester and i get a gray screen

removed the open key and the game repeats the same infinite loop

Is it more likely I need to replace the chips or a component on the b board

HELP!

Did the game work when on battery?

Have you tried a different openkey then the one you wired up backwards?

yeah the game worked before I removed the battery. I havent tried a different openkey because the game is still boots without a key. I figured the roms must be corrupted or some component fried. Do you think its worth a try?

I would. I'm not sure how wiring up the openkey backwards would have an effect on the cps2 board. If anything it might have just killed the MCU on the openkey.

Ok I put on a new open key now instead of the loop I get a solid light blue screen. Seems like the suicide screen. I then tried the Suicide tester Rom and now the test runs and the music is playing.
@ack Do you think having the 5v wire connected to the ground of the capacitor would not have damaged anything?

I would suspect it could only damage the MCU on the openkey if you had ground/vcc backwards.

Can you provide a picture of your install and of the program roms on the B board.

Sure Little detail to add
Its a revision 4 motherboard and It did not have a resistor
rom.jpg
top.jpg
back.jpg

installation looks ok.

If you can, try dumping the 03 rom and verify which set it matches up with in mame. I have this game and mine has a mixed set of rom labels SZ2E and SZ2U. All of the roms ended up matching SZ2U set.

On the Infinikey there is a jumper required to be active on some revisions. Is that required here?

The light blue screen suggests you have got the wrong region/revision key being sent. Double check your key is set to the right region and that your bridges where present are making contact

In your image it looks like pad 8 is bridged, that shouldn’t be bridged for SZ2E - if it is clear off the solder and make sure it is not making contact

On the Infinikey there is a jumper required to be active on some revisions. Is that required here?
The jumper only needs to be jumped on revisions 6, 7 and the all-in-one boards.

I just swapped all the roms to a new rev 6 board with a new openkey results are
  • game boots to a nearly black screen
  • suicide tester determines all roms are good when open key is configured for EU romset
  • suicide tester does not work when openkey is configured for US romset
installation looks ok.

If you can, try dumping the 03 rom and verify which set it matches up with in mame. I have this game and mine has a mixed set of rom labels SZ2E and SZ2U. All of the roms ended up matching SZ2U set.
Dont have a programmer to dump the roms but I guess Its long overdue that I get one

I'm not sure how the suicide tester would work at all with openkey installed. While I have not used it myself, the readme for the tester indicates it only works if the board is suicided. This would imply openkey is not programming, but at the same it is programming because the tester doesn't work when openkey is configured with the US romset? It also looks like the tester is only testing the RAM and not the ROMs.

I don't have much experence with game conversions, but I dont think you can just wholesale swap roms between B boards without also adjusting the jumpers on the B board (and the socketed PAL).

Barely black screen is keys are not loading properly. If the board recently had a battery on it, short EXC5 to clear keys and try again

You don’t have the US ROM set, you have the European set - SZ2E

I wouldn’t recommend changing to another board because you’re then adding additional problems to those you already had making it even more difficult

If the rev 4 board was working prior to Infinikey installation go back to that and continue working through the point you got to

What’s your +5 voltage when the board is running? Rev 4 boards tend to be more sensitive about voltage during key injection

It's always a good idea to short the exc5 pins under the board once, just to make sure. When I was working on my boards, i had weird stuff like this happen before realizing that it's pretty important ot do it

Back