What's new

juanking99

Student
Reaction score
Hello Guys!

I just got some CPS3 related stuff and i would love your help to know what is going on with them.

Items
1 - CPS3 Mobo with some kinda repair or bypass?
2 - CPS3 Mobo
3 - 2x64 simms
4 - 4x128 simms
5 - SFNG Cart

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.55.35 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.55.54 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.55.47 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.56.06 PM.jpeg

------

2nd Mobo

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 2.06.02 PM.jpeg

So what did i do with them?

First i cleaned them with ISO alongside the simms and the cart edge and let them rest over night.

Then i tested as follows

-------------------------
1s Test

Repaired MOBO bare

Result - Black screen
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.53.16 PM.jpeg

-------

2nd Test

Repaired MOBO with NG Cart and simms

Result - Scramble

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.53.17 PM.jpeg

-------

3rd Test

Repaired MOBO with simms and no cart

Result - Scramble yellow spots

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.53.18 PM.jpeg

------

4th Test

Second MOBO bare

Result - Black screen

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.53.19 PM.jpeg

-------

5th Test

Second MOBO with NG Cart

Result - blue scrambled screen

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 1.53.20 PM.jpeg

-------

6th Test

Second MOBO with Simms no cart

Result Blue screen scramble, similar as the 5th test.

And that's it! hope you guys can help me with this diagnostic.

Thanks,

Juan

This breaks my heart, I have one CPS3 mobo that won't boot at all, I get a black screen with SF3 3dr strike & Red Earth ( Original ) & a snow screen wit the super bios cart. I swap out the simm's with the good kit I have and that did nothing. The simms are good, my other kit works 100%. so now I'm stuck too, the mobo that wont boot was a Jo Jo's adventure ( no CD boot ) originally and it work fine when I had the original Jo Jo's cart, the Jo Jo's cart is now the Darksoft super bios cart.

The only difference between my good mother board and the one that doesn't work is that white bypass on the back like the one you have. So............. maybe if the bypass is remove it will work? but I'm not sure. Anyone know what the white bypass on the back of the motherboard PCB is for? is that the way to make the kit boot with out the CD room ? Is it safe to remove ? is it call a bypass?

Attachments

• 20210203_225508.jpg
    20210203_225508.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210203_230354.jpg
    20210203_230354.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210203_225553.jpg
    20210203_225553.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I've seen the green ones as a factory bodge on some cps3 mobos. Not sure about that white wire, but it could also be normal. I don't think it would be there if it wasn't needed?

And that's it! hope you guys can help me with this diagnostic.

Thanks,

Juan
Do you have any known working CPS3 stuff? It's kind of hard to narrow down on problems without known good hardware. That said... the scramble screens are probably because the cart is dead. You won't be able to test anything with a dead cartridge.

Juan, what KaPH33n said makes sense, are you sure the cart you are using is not dead ?
BTW KaPH33n do you know anyone that can fix CPS-3 motherboards?

Last edited:
Juan what KaPH33n said makes sense, are you sure the cart you are using is not dead ?
BTW do you know anyone that can fix CPS-3 motherboards?
Talk to @Mitsurugi-w . He may have his hands full, but it wouldn’t hurt to give him a PM. He took very good care of me a few years back. I gave him a Rival Schools board as a thank you for doing such an awesome job and putting up with me lol.

If it turns out to be a motherboard issue there is little I can do to help.

Damn. Well, I tried lol. What is the most common component to go bad on these motherboards?

Sound pot. That's the extent of my knowledge of the pcb workings. Lol.

On my previous CPS3, I just plugged my stereo into my supergun that was getting audio from the JAMMA connection. I didn't even want to bother with the RCA output and didn't want to risk messing something else up trying to replace it. Wasn't worth it to me lol.

Do you have any known working CPS3 stuff? It's kind of hard to narrow down on problems without known good hardware. That said... the scramble screens are probably because the cart is dead. You won't be able to test anything with a dead cartridge.

Hey man!

I managed to secure a darksoft cart which i will be getting the next week, im looking for a scsi drive or a scsi2sd meanwhile, hope it all works!

Hey guys,

Im currently waiting for my darksoft cart to arrive, deliveries are slow due to corona but that has not kept me for securing other stuff for my setup.

I managed to acquire the following scsi cd drive from a local source.

https://www.directitsource.com/Toshiba-XM-3401BME-2x-Internal-SCSI-CD-ROM-Drive-p/xm-3401bme-ds2.htm

As this is a 2x cd drive im wondering if i will have any issues burning my darksoft cd copy at higher speed?

My burner slowest transfer speed is 3x but i dont know if that will work with this unit.

As this is a 2x cd drive im wondering if i will have any issues burning my darksoft cd copy at higher speed?

Doesn't matter what speed you're writing the media at. Most important is good burning software and good media (brand name). I use ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 on Windows. I've never had any issues with it.

Hello guys,

Ive been very busy lately.

My Darksoft kit arrived and is working good, the only issue ive had is that the sound pot is a little bit clunky so the volume goes minus and plus sometimes, if i move it gently i can find spots where is stable for long playtimes.

If i use the stereo output should i be worried about the volume pot? can it be fixed?

PD: also my other two board still damaged, im checking if i can salvage some parts for both to make one working board but it will take some time.

Thanks,

Juan

the only issue ive had is that the sound pot is a little bit clunky so the volume goes minus and plus sometimes, if i move it gently i can find spots where is stable for long playtimes.
You can also try using contact cleaner but a sure fix would be replacing the potentiometer with the part @KaPH33n linked to.

Back