What's new
As I said, clearly a problem reading the directory IMHO. The right procedure to get it back to normal until we fix it is:kiss: reset backup memory
* power off
* remove microSD
* Remove BUFF file
* Insert microSD again
* Power On
That should make things go back to normal. AFAWK Problem comes from going back to menu.

If you are having problems after using QuickLaunch (games not showing up, or menu not rebooting after hitting EXIT), avoid using it for now please.
when deleting the buff file should I delete the 3 slot files too or does it not make a difference?

i am stuck at the "please wait" screen. the folder structure is:

sd:/games/menu/files from update
|/games/3countb/files from one game to test
|/update/menu/files from update

after starting the cab i wait sufficiently long (>1min). afterwards the files are still in the folder and after rebooting the cab stil "please wait". what do i do wrong? testing with samsung 8gb sd, error checked, freshly formatted...

The 3 slot files tell the cart which games must be loaded into DDR! If you change the value for the name of another game, it will load the DDR values corresponding to that game, but the flashes will still have the old contents, so you'll get loading the OLD game with NEW graphics. A mess.

Either dont touch them or delete them, but don't edit them.

@rewrite can you please post EXACTLY which versions of motherboard are those? MV-4F? MV-4FS? Also which BIOS are you using on each? Stock or UNIBIOS?

@Mitsu, which one do you have? This looks like a firm problem that we'll try to fix ASAP.
"NEO MVH 4-SLOT" are the only markings I see on the two working ones, with stock BIOS.
The other one, I'm still trying to find a screwdriver to get the metal cage off of. I set it down somewhere last night and *poof*.
Post some pictures if you can please.

@earthphoenix in which computer are you formatting? Are you using the biggest cluster size possible? Is it SHDC or SDXC?

If it doesn't delete any files it's simply not reading the microSD at all. Is it inserted properly?

PLMK.

windows 10. yes (clustersize 64KBytes). sdhc (samsung evo micosd sdhc I). yes (cart is inserted properly). original games work.

• MV1a
  • unibios 3.1 (usa, arcade)
problem (stuck at "please wait..." remains). from that screen i can access the bios menu (a,b,c,start). i never got to the game select menu.

very weird. Well probably release or link to a tool to format the microsd as this seems to be the source of many of the problems.

ok. but shouldn't it at least reech a menu when there is no sd card present? the screen blinks for the first coin i insert after boot. any other coin inserted does not cause the system to do anything, nor does any button (except unibios keys).

No, it detects that there is a microSD, but for some reason it can't read from it at all and gets stuck. Even If I bypass this and let it go to the menu, it wont help much as it cant read any game, logo or anything.

part of the menu is inside the SD (under games/menu), the cart won't work correctly without the SD card in (or with a corrupted or wrong configured card)

I think we should rethink the distribution scheme for the SD card and change to SD images instead of plain files (similar to the NotNiko TX2 packages)

very weird. Well probably release or link to a tool to format the microsd as this seems to be the source of many of the problems.
There is no need for such a tool, this is the official tool that you should use:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

edit:
I have used this tool at work to create images for various embedded projects.

If this tool creates a card which cannot be loaded the problem lies somewhere else and then it's time to check which libs you are using to access the cards. I know for a fact that the STM32 libs supplied by ST are prone to bugs.

It might also be an idea to create a tool for the Multi-MVS platform where you measure read speed and consistency. Since the MVS version is writing more to the card than the previous versions you might have an issue with the FAT library.

I think we should rethink the distribution scheme for the SD card and change to SD images instead of plain files (similar to the NotNiko TX2 packages)
@Nikos distribution has to be a dd image due to the partitions. The MVS-Multi just uses one partition.

Even though you distribute a flat image you might still hit the same issues since the MVS-Multi writes to the file system.

@Nikos distribution has to be a dd image due to the partitions. The MVS-Multi just uses one partition.
Even though you distribute a flat image you might still hit the same issues since the MVS-Multi writes to the file system.
That is if there is a problem with the libraries.

Let's ask some testers to use that tool and see if it changes something....

Does anyone using a SanDisk card have the complete games list showing up for them?

@rewrite can you please post EXACTLY which versions of motherboard are those? MV-4F? MV-4FS? Also which BIOS are you using on each? Stock or UNIBIOS?

@Mitsu, which one do you have? This looks like a firm problem that we'll try to fix ASAP.
"NEO MVH 4-SLOT" are the only markings I see on the two working ones, with stock BIOS.The other one, I'm still trying to find a screwdriver to get the metal cage off of. I set it down somewhere last night and *poof*.
Post some pictures if you can please.
@theoddtech and I played around with it a bunch yesterday. The non-working 4 slot is an MV-4F.

Pulled the unibios out of the non working MV-4F and it's worked perfectly.

Tried burning the unibios onto another chip in case maybe it had been corrupt or something. Soon as we put the unibios back in it was exhibiting all the same crashes and refusal to get into the menu symptoms.

Put the stock bios back in and it works perfectly. I'm just leaving that in there for now.

This morning I tried putting the unibios in the MVH 4 slot, and it experienced all of the same crashes. Put back the stock bios and everything works fine again.

So now I have it fully working with 3 different 4 slots (two different models, MVH and MV-4F). But it outright does not work with the unibios.

@theoddtech and I played around with it a bunch yesterday. The non-working 4 slot is an MV-4F.
Pulled the unibios out of the non working MV-4F and it's worked perfectly.

Tried burning the unibios onto another chip in case maybe it had been corrupt or something. Soon as we put the unibios back in it was exhibiting all the same crashes and refusal to get into the menu symptoms.

Put the stock bios back in and it works perfectly. I'm just leaving that in there for now.

This morning I tried putting the unibios in the MVH 4 slot, and it experienced all of the same crashes. Put back the stock bios and everything works fine again.

So now I have it fully working with 3 different 4 slots (two different models, MVH and MV-4F). But it outright does not work with the unibios.
Thanks for Info! We'll get to that later. Are you experiencing any other problems at all? Gfx glitches or not being able to change slot, problems with the menu, etc?

PLMK.

Thanks for Info! We'll get to that later. Are you experiencing any other problems at all? Gfx glitches or not being able to change slot, problems with the menu, etc?
Just one so far. When The "Press S" screen comes up, if you wait past the guy holding out "5" before you press Start, it simply will not work. Press it before "5", and it works fine.

Have put a few hours into playing various games, zero graphics issues or slot issues or anything on the stock BIOS on any of the 4-slots.

Back