What's new
There is a bunch of bootlegs for KOF2003 but those have protection implemented which I dont think the cart will support, so probably would be a good idea to add some of them patched / without protection. It's a bootleg anyways, so I hope people will be OK with that.

Hello all. I’m fairly new to the world of NeoGeo collecting and only very recently discovered the Darksoft MVS cart, which I’ve been using for a few weeks without major issues. I did stumble upon one game with problems, Samurai Shodown 3. I’ve seen the same thing reported before: the game crashes and reboots shortly after you’ve started playing it. It doesn’t seem like it’s related to the time the game has been on as much as it is actually playing through matches. It generally happens on match 3 or 4. Both the AES and MVS versions do it. I have an original MVS cart of this game which does not have the issue. Happy to share any more info if it helps isolate the bug.

Hello all. I’m fairly new to the world of NeoGeo collecting and only very recently discovered the Darksoft MVS cart, which I’ve been using for a few weeks without major issues. I did stumble upon one game with problems, Samurai Shodown 3. I’ve seen the same thing reported before: the game crashes and reboots shortly after you’ve started playing it. It doesn’t seem like it’s related to the time the game has been on as much as it is actually playing through matches. It generally happens on match 3 or 4. Both the AES and MVS versions do it. I have an original MVS cart of this game which does not have the issue. Happy to share any more info if it helps isolate the bug.
I feel for you brother.

I feel for you brother.
LOL. The more of us who have this bug, the better the hope of isolating and fixing it (hopefully)!

Edit: For a moment I thought I’d stumbled on a workaround. The first crashes had occurred with samsho3 flashed in either slot 2 or 3 (and two other games in the other slots) and the system configured as a Europe system. I tried switching the system configuration to USA and flashing the ROM to slot 1 without any other games in the other slots and made it about 6-7 matches in before the crash happened again. It seems like Basara triggers it more often than other characters for some reason.

Edit 2: forgot to state my setup. It’s an MV1C board that has been recapped. I believe it’s stock Japan BIOS.

Last edited:
Found another game with similar behavior to Samurai Shodown 3. World Heroes 2 crashes shortly after starting, around the second match most of the time. I am gaming on a MV1C with stock JP BIOS. If we can hunt down what these two games share, perhaps the bug can be squashed.

Found another game with similar behavior to Samurai Shodown 3. World Heroes 2 crashes shortly after starting, around the second match most of the time. I am gaming on a MV1C with stock JP BIOS.es share, perhaps the bug can be squashed.

Since I share the same samsho issue, I'll check WH2 tomorrow to help you corroborate your theory. My family is using my area to play another game right now so tomorrow it is.

Okay so I played world heroes 2 and it did crash eventually, 2 times before a match began

I can confirm that a real World Heroes 2 MVS cart does not crash on the same motherboard/BIOS configuration. Whatever is causing the crash on WH2 and SS3 has to do with how the Darksoft MVS is replicating the data. I wonder, has anyone confirmed that these two games can be played to completion on the most recent firmware/menu?

I can confirm that a real World Heroes 2 MVS cart does not crash on the same motherboard/BIOS configuration. Whatever is causing the crash on WH2 and SS3 has to do with how the Darksoft MVS is replicating the data. I wonder, has anyone confirmed that these two games can be played to completion on the most recent firmware/menu?
I'm sure they're plenty of people here that can play samsho3 without issue on a Darksoft cart (probably the reason why this doesn't get priority). But I'd be careful with criticisms here. That's why I had to solve my own problem with their product.

I'll try both games out on my AES Darksoft Multi this weekend with the latest Menu and Firmware and will report back.

I'm sure @Darksoft is quite busy getting the CPS1 Multi ready to launch at the moment, but if there is a problem with those two games because of the Multi firmware then I'm confident it'll get sorted out.

I'll try both games out on my AES Darksoft Multi this weekend with the latest Menu and Firmware and will report back.

I'm sure @Darksoft is quite busy getting the CPS1 Multi ready to launch at the moment, but if there is a problem with those two games because of the Multi firmware then I'm confident it'll get sorted out.
Thanks for offering to verify that. I know the MVS and AES versions use different firmwares, so it may be an MVS-only bug, but please let us know what you find.

I hope to test this on an MV1F board soon and will share the findings as well. I totally understand that @Darksoft is working on other things and I still think the multi-cart is a great product. If only 2 of 200+ games crash that’s still great compatibility! I just hope the issue is isolated and squashed eventually, especially for Samsho 3 which is a personal favorite.

Found another game with similar behavior to Samurai Shodown 3. World Heroes 2 crashes shortly after starting, around the second match most of the time. I am gaming on a MV1C with stock JP BIOS. If we can hunt down what these two games share, perhaps the bug can be squashed.
I confirm this same issue with AES 3.5: with standard BIOS console reset itself, with UNIBIOS 4.0 error appears (bad contact). I don't have the original cartridge (I don't like this game, that's the reason I've never found this error so far)

I finally had a chance to try out SamSho 3 and World Heroes 2 on my AES cart. I’m using UniBIOS 4.0 and the latest firmware & menu.

SamSho 3 does indeed crash for me as well-it usually happens after about 3 matches. Screenshot of the crash & debug info is below if that’s helpful @Darksoft .

World Heroes 2 wouldn’t crash for me-I played it for over 30 minutes without issues. I rebooted the console, flashed the game to a different slot, and played for another 15 minutes without problems.
However, I did discover that if I went into the UniBIOS and did a CRC check on this game then the console would go into a infinite crash and reboot loop.

5A5B6851-428A-4826-8403-D92175BE7674.jpeg

Back