What's new

Failerson

Student
Reaction score
Starting my second project and I figured I'd get some advice and input. I found a punch out cab monitors pcb all original yesterday and picked it up for 500$. Funny thing is that it was less then a mile from my house so I was pumped. Top monitor works meaning you can see picture just seems to need adjusting. Although the bottom monitor shows black with red lines. The battery back up seemed to have exploded and now there is slight corrosion on the board. Any tips on cleaning and repairing the boards?

http://imgur.com/yMpVblX
http://imgur.com/5fBw5TS
http://imgur.com/EcWNR8n

Will upload board pics when I get home

Anyone know if this is repairable? If so anyone in the MA area wanna help? Oh and took out monitors and everything else to make it easier for body work. Dumb question crts have burn in. Any way to fix or am I out of luck?

https://imgur.com/a/wtujy

Hard to tell from the pics but it could just be the solder mask bubbling. You can try cleaning it with water as long as you let it dry completely.

Also no, screen burn in can not be fixed.

We created a monster :)

CRT burn can't be fixed. But, you can actually swap out the CRT tube from a donor TV. It is called "tube swap" or "tube swapping". Lots of videos on Youtube and a few resources on the web where others have posted previous success. Whatever you do, don't throw away any Nintendo part. They are irreplaceable, rare, expensive. Interested to see where you go with this one.

EDIT:
  1. If you find a suitable donor tube, you can toss the old CRT. Sometimes you have to pull the yoke too to make it work. So you might want to save that before you toss the tube.
  2. Might have shown this to you before, but this is how you wash a monitor.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pics but it could just be the solder mask bubbling. You can try cleaning it with water as long as you let it dry completely.

Also no, screen burn in can not be fixed.
I did notice on the board that some of the ceramic caps have broke. Don't know if that means anything. The game did boot but only showed video on the top monitor. The bottom one showed black with red squiggles.

We created a monster :)

CRT burn can't be fixed. But, you can actually swap out the CRT tube from a donor TV. It is called "tube swap" or "tube swapping". Lots of videos on Youtube and a few resources on the web where others have posted previous success. Whatever you do, don't throw away any Nintendo part. They are irreplaceable, rare, expensive. Interested to see where you go with this one.

EDIT:
  1. If you find a suitable donor tube, you can toss the old CRT. Sometimes you have to pull the yoke too to make it work. So you might want to save that before you toss the tube.
  2. Might have shown this to you before, but this is how you wash a monitor.
yea I removed the monitor washing from last time. Thought it was a troll at first. I'll have to get the model numbers of the monitors. Everything in the cab is original. Nice find for browsing Facebook for sale. Lol

Am I the only one who thinks that simple green and for instance the pots on that board are not a good mix?

Unless you're using some super filtered water, you will always leave some residue behind, however minute (simple green or not). When you're using water, that shit will go to places that plain dust would never enter.

Nintendo games generally have Sanyo 20EZ monitors. Also Nintendo games generally use an inverted video signal; different from other arcade monitors. The 20EZs found in Nintendo cab are all designed to work with an inverted signal. in order to use them with other games you need to install a video inverter; similarly other monitors used with Nintendo boards will need a video inverter board as well. (there are ways to modify the chassis directly to work with a normal signal too). ... just something to be aware of.

If you have trouble with the PCB you'll want to contact OneCircuit (he's on NEACF, KLOV and YouTube), he's somewhat of a Nintendo repair expert.

20EZs pop up for sale on NEACF every so often. I'm also sure the guys there and on KLOV would be able to point you in the right direction of good donor candidates for tube swaps too.

Hell yeah! Some color tweaking and you'll be good as gold!

Kinda a weird issue. Don't even know how to trouble shoot this. So the setting switches are set to how I want the game. Yet when I go into diagnostic mode it does all the checks none fail. Then it goes to a screen where it shows settings. Everything is off according to the diagnostic menu yet switches are in different positions. Yet the game knows 1 coin is one credit yet I've set it to free play. Secondly after you hit start it goes on to fight glass joe but then hangs. Can't do anything. Two things I've noticed someone ran jumper wires from different locations on the back of the board. I've also removed the battery pack to the board. Would that have something to do with not loading a match because it doesn't know what difficulty to put the game at? Confused.

So I figured out the issue. Now does anyone know where I can find 2 octal 1k resistor arrays?

Thanks. Wasn't really in the market for a new game was just browsing Facebook for sale and boom it was there. Heads up to people looking for sweet deals check there. You never know what you will find.

I found the parts I need for the boards and figured out the issue. Seems like the ls240 chips are bad right near the dip switches. Ordered and waiting will update when soldered in.

My next question is. Is it worth it to cap a monitor? How do you know if it needs to be capped? Where can I buy a kit? (Besides bob Roberts) seems like he's not taking orders. Is it something I can do myself? (Mind you basic soldering skills)

Unless the picture is flawless, do a cap kit.

Cap kits are regular maintenance on monitors... it's like asking if you should put new tires on a used car... I mean ... PROBABLY.

You can get cap-kits at dozens of places online. the old-school crowd has a hard-on for Bob Roberts, but his website is terrible and ordering through him is a pain in the ass.

I like the cap kits here personally: https://iankellogg.com

or http://twistedquarter.com

There are dozens of people who sell them on eBay. or you could just find a cap list online and then buy the caps yourself on digikey or mouser.

So replaced a few ls240 switches. Now the dip switches work. Still hangs when loading the first opponent. Watched all the videos on oncircuits YouTube. Still can't figure it out. Suggestions?

Figured I'd give an update. Sent the board out to be fixed. Only was 125$. Will have it back in a few weeks. Noticed the ps was putting out 6 volts. Replacing that even turning it down didn't move it. So while the monitors are out I'm going to cap them. Gives me something to do until the board is back. Did all the body work to cab and put the first few coats of paint on.

https://imgur.com/a/qFr7N

Back