What's new

craigkeller

Student
Reaction score
Looking to netboot in the next few weeks. Recently, I was at a big fighting game tournament and saw that inside the candy cabs they had there were raspberry Pi's with 3.5" color touchscreens hooked up to the Naomi boards.

I've been searching around and can't find anything but people trying to sell assembled devices. Anyone know which PiForce fork this is and where I can find an image?

Also assuming this is only compatible with the adafruit 3.5" tft.

https://i.ibb.co/4t7Jmjz/Schermata-2019-05-25-alle-11-14-13.png

Its just some modified version of PiForce that swaps out the smaller LCD hat for that larger version.
I don't know where to get a pre-made image for it, but I bet it wouldn't be hard to modify the existing Piforce image to support that screen.

I guess it would look pretty cool in a supergun like setup, but personally I play my Naomi in a cab (so 99.9% of the time I'm not even going to see that fancy touch screen and its fancy display, which totally defeats the point of having it).

I was thinking of cutting a hole and mounting it in the cab in such a way so I can use the screen to quickly switch but also see the nice artwork.

I purchased this exact set up from ebay seller: pianela

He should be able to tell you what it is. He sells whole and part kits at good prices as well. Good luck!

Why not just use pifocreweb? You can use any device to load a game.

I use my ipad/phone to load games - no opening of the case required to change a game.

Why not just use pifocreweb? You can use any device to load a game.
Because then the arcade machine isn't a complete/sealed unit... ie you need a device to load a game.
Sure its just a phone/tablet/whatever, but to me this is flawed mentality, EVERY SINGLE DEVICE MUST BE 100% SELF CONTAINED (no exceptions, no compromise)!

If I owned 6 Naomi motherboards I'd buy 6 Pi's because each one would be required to have its own, again 100% complete sealed units.
You can call it wasteful, but I say anything else would be wrong.

TupOxKm.gif

Also, piforceweb doesn't work behind a VPN, it was a royal pain in the arse disabling it each time I wanted to play, and even then I found it only worked some of the time. I don't really need to have all the fancy information, graphics and videos as the library is so small, you kinda know what you want to play on Naomi when you sit down anyhow.

I ditched that setup and went back to the simple Pi LCD screen and couldn't be happier. It's definitely quicker to select with the buttons and just load a game. It works 100% of the time too.

The TFT looks nice, but I imagine it would be nowhere near as functional and quick to select and load a game as the LCD is.

Back