What's new
@deibit I've heard GroovyMAME->CRT is quite nice, and handles refresh rates fine, but what we really want is a JAMMA->LCD solution. No MAME, no CRT. Someday when my tubes all die I'll need a solution for that, and Jassin is trailblazing for us all. So it sounds like the last piece of the puzzle is an LCD that can handle any refresh rate, which is why I was wondering if Gsync/Freesync works without a pc involved

edit: i also just realized this is in the HAS thread... so uh maybe it belongs somewhere else. oh well.

Can you run a gsync/freesync monitor without having some sort of software driver?
I would imagine/think so, when hooked up via DVI directly from the OSSC.

I am trying to keep my arcade games/boards inside my arcade cab.
Unfortunately if I wanted to put a gsync monitor into my Vewlix frame, I'm on my own for getting it mounted/working.

I think better to use the Vewlix's monitor and adapt (DVDO) to it, for just supergun people (aka the majority of HAS users) tho...
Yea I think this would be a pretty awesome setup (HAS + OSSC + GSync/Asus/BenQ/other wide-range sync LCD PC monitor).
If you output the exact refresh rate, those problems are almost non-existent, at least when you output to a real CRT supporting the refresh rate natively.
I love that CRT Emudriver and projects like GroovyMAME exist... But this isn't at all my goal or interest.
To me CRT's are dead, and adapting modern computers/anything to dead displays, well that's just silly/ass-backwards.

I will say that before I sold my PVM, running RetroArch on my (modded) Wii hooked to the 14L5 (component) I could output many games at the original refresh/resolution.
I swear CPS1 stuff was, as far as I could tell, flawless!

As cool as that all was, at the end of the day I had a 60lbs+ monitor that was only 14" in size.
Yea... I'm all set with that shit. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that gsysc communicates with the LCD via a board on the LCD and then to the videocard, arcade PCB do not have this capability. No matter how we are looking at it, we are looking at upscaler and line doubler.. By the time all the CRTs are done, we should have afortable OLEDs and maybe OSSC version X.. But if all the arcade PCBs parts start failing then GroovyMame.. I was listening to a youtube user and how Atari games cartridges are failing and the same thing is starting to happen to NES cartridges..what this would me to retro gamers and game preservation.

For those who own the OSSC:

Firmware v0.76 is finally out now:
* Line4x and Line5x implemented
* 960i and 1080i support added
* Dedicated line multiplication settings for each mode group
* Passthru option added for all mode groups
* 4:3 / 8:7 aspect selection for 256×240 mode
* Overlay mask placement fixed
* Mask brightness control added
* Fixed phase shift issue on optimized modes
* Increased IR receiver tolerance

Ok, so is there actually a place to but an OSSC at the moment? I am not finding them available.

Ok, so is there actually a place to but an OSSC at the moment?
You have never just been able to "buy" a OSSC fully assembled at will.
Rather you will subscribe to the mailing list offered by Videogameprefection.

They will assign you a number in line, and keep you informed about production runs.
When your number is up you send the money, or forfeit you place in said line.
This process took me over two months, so you must be patient.

Ok, thanks. I was already on the list so I guess I did figure it out. Guess I wll wait.

After dealing with the pre-orders, I ended up with some surplus.

32552021384_dfb060f79c_z.jpg

32552019604_763334ec9a_z.jpg

More details in the first post of this thread.

After dealing with the pre-orders, I ended up with some surplus.

32552021384_dfb060f79c_z.jpg

32552019604_763334ec9a_z.jpg

More details in the first post of this thread.
You just HAD to use your original Cadillacs and Dinosaurs board in that pic to make us all jealous, right RGB? ;)

So, I feel stupid, but I can't figure out the power supply adapter. It says in the manual, but I can't find any place to buy a 6pin 3.96mm raster, NS39 type cable. I thought I read it was common somewhere on this thread, but none of my power supplies has one on them. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Nah, was playing it today with gf, so it was a good moment to finally take a new pic :D I love this game, probably my most played arcade game from childhood (along with Die Hard Arcade).

@Dreamstate - Try searching "JST VHR-6". I can send you some connectors if you need.

I had some spare connectors here so I made an ATX adapter temporarily. I can't use -5v with it obviously but I ordered a screw terminal arcade PSU. I'll use this one in the mean time.

So far I really like the HAS. It blows the picture on my old SuperGUN with JROK away even though I'm just using composite video right now. Assembly was a bit of a challenge because I ordered all of the extras and also because my kit had an extra standoff with internal thread and was missing one with exernal thread. It's fine for now but I want to order the proper part so everything is secure and tight. What is that piece called so I can order it?

Got it. That was what I needed. I ordered the parts from Digikey. Thanks!

I had some spare connectors here so I made an ATX adapter temporarily. I can't use -5v with it obviously but I ordered a screw terminal arcade PSU. I'll use this one in the mean time.

So far I really like the HAS. It blows the picture on my old SuperGUN with JROK away even though I'm just using composite video right now. Assembly was a bit of a challenge because I ordered all of the extras and also because my kit had an extra standoff with internal thread and was missing one with exernal thread. It's fine for now but I want to order the proper part so everything is secure and tight. What is that piece called so I can order it?
That's interesting, I thought the Jrok was based on the Sony CXA2075, would be nice to see some comparison pics. Might have to pick a HAS up.

That's interesting, I thought the Jrok was based on the Sony CXA2075, would be nice to see some comparison pics. Might have to pick a HAS up.
Small differences in a video circuit can greatly affect the picture quality.

From a PM I received I thought very useful for others as well!
i have a question will the HAS supergun work with the capcom i/o if i am using it for the taito type x2
I don't have a Type X2, but the short answer is YES.

This is how I run my Naomi with my HAS...
HAS connects to Capcom IO, provides JAMMA power and JAMMA controls (in this case DB15 ports) to it.
Capcom IO connects to Naomi, converts/provides JVS power (important note; I use CARTS not DIMMs) and JVS controls to it.

Naomi connects directly to VGA port on my LCD monitor (recently the OSSC however) and RCA-to-3.5mm audio-in on my stereo/amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hi, can the 3p/4p board work with other supergun? Or it need the main HAS board to work? Thx a lot.

The 3P4P adapter is proprietary to HAS V3, but it's possible to use it with other superguns if you wire power to it (the adapter itself doesn't need power, but the controllers you connect to it will most likely require +5V).

Back