What's new
@daffy - OSSC doesn't sync with the Taito F3 when it's connected via Scart, but it does via VGA.

That cable you linked to will of course work, *provided it's correctly wired*.

Last edited:
I've emailed Retro Access and could not figure out why the cable does not work on both of my Bang Olufsen Tvs (MX7000 and MX4200).
After few emails, there are nothing can be found aside but to either return the cable or to buy another one.

If anyone who are willing to sell your own scart cable to be used for HAS Supergun, i would be glad to buy it off you. Thanks

That's the one, just for US residents though unfortunately.
For us EU guys, there's http://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/

They don't have pics of the cable, but they do stock them (at least they did a week ago). Be warned though, it's DIY and somewhat fiddly. See instructions here. Also, mine didn't come with the audio cable, which is a regular male to male headphone cable.

Hi guys,
I’m new here and, as I told in my introduction post, I’m evaluating several options in order to play with a MVS at home. One of the options is assembling something myself, so…
  • @RGB do you currently sell your HAP Supergun?
  • Does the HAP v3.1 support stereo audio through Jamma connector (non standard MVS pinout)?
    I mean something like this
    jamma_pinout_engadget_howto.jpg

In case HAP supports stereo through jamma, would this MV-1C cabling work?
    1Zcfdfe.jpg
  • I’d like to use the MVS with various wireless joypad/arcade sticks I own, so I was thinking about using my 8bitdo SNES retro receivers ( http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/ ). They can connect both as a wired SNES joypad (through old SNES connector) and as a USB joypad emulating a XBOX360 wired controller or PS3 wired controller through USB. Would this adapter work (https://www.ebay.it/itm/NINTENDO-SN...432604?hash=item238625155c:g:qH8AAOSwX9FZNZQ2 )? Are there better options?
  • If I use a MV-1C can I use a simple 5V powerbrick connecting just Ground and +5V to the Supergun?
  • Suggested Power Adapters and Video Cables? I will use an OSSC and I’d like to maintain some aesthetics (I mean, I’d like to avoid an electronic scrapyard look at home :D ). I live in Italy, so I’d like to buy in Europe.

Thank you in advance
Best regards.

Locutus73

Hey Locutus73, to answer your questions:

1. Currently HAS is out of stock, but there will be a new batch very soon. I can put you on the pre-order list if you want.
2. HAS doesn't support stereo via the JAMMA connector.
3. I don't have experience with that SNES controller adapter. Please ask the seller of the adapter, it just might work with the 8bitdo.
4. The MV-1C can work off of +5V PSU if the mobo is modded for stereo.
5. Mean Well MWP-606 or SUZO 42PP0606. As for the cable - http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2&rn=543&action=show_detail

@Locutus73

Re the 8bitdo Snes Bluetooth receivers and the Snes to Neo-Geo adapter...

Yes the Snes to Neo adapter will work. Their pinout isn't ideal however the HAS appears to allow button remapping so this shouldn't be an issue. Their pinout has buttons 5 and 6 wired opposite to how they should be if one were to extend the Neo pinout in the same fashion as the standard pinout.

Re the 8bitdo receivers, how do you use them with a wired usb pad?

@Frank_fjs

Looks like "Select/Coin" is wired to DB15 pin #2 instead of pin #3 like in the NeoGeo pinout, so this one will need to be manually re-wired on that adapter.

Good pick @RGB

Really annoying when people break standards.

I've attached the pinout in case anyone is interested.

I produce my own snes2neo adapters that are wired correctly, I'll also attach a pic of my pinout which matches the Undamned pinout. Mine are made better too! Interesting that they chose to surface mount an Audrino PCB.

Attachments

• SNK_NEO_GEO_PAD_JOYSTICK_STANDARD_PINOUT_FR.jpg
    SNK_NEO_GEO_PAD_JOYSTICK_STANDARD_PINOUT_FR.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,814
  • DB15.png
    DB15.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,843
Reactions: RGB
Interesting that they chose to surface mount an Audrino PCB
That's crazy but there are counterfeit Arduino boards on ebay that cost less (shipping included) than barebones ATmega chips :D

Not a solid connection though. They didn't even use holes, they just have pads on the top layer and add a tiny blob of solder through the Audrino header pin holes. I purchased a Mega Drive adapter of theirs that didn't work until I resoldered the entire thing. The soldering was really, really poor.

On my adapter I just use a through hole ATmega chip. Easier and quicker to solder and actually takes up less space from top to bottom. No need to worry about space from left to right as the ATmega is still narrower than the DB(A)15.

@Locutus73

Yes the Snes to Neo adapter will work. Their pinout isn't ideal however the HAS appears to allow button remapping so this shouldn't be an issue. Their pinout has buttons 5 and 6 wired opposite to how they should be if one were to extend the Neo pinout in the same fashion as the standard pinout.
@Frank_fjs

Looks like "Select/Coin" is wired to DB15 pin #2 instead of pin #3 like in the NeoGeo pinout, so this one will need to be manually re-wired on that adapter.
Good pick @RGB

Really annoying when people break standards.
I wouldn’t talk about standards written in stone in this case. I mean, on one side we have Neo Geo AES DB15 pinout and, on the other side, Jamma pinout… then we have logic, but no written standards. I agree that mapping AES Select pin to Jamma coin pin is the most logical choice, but again, it seems to me that Retroelectronik is not breaking any ISO standard. Again, mapping B5 on pin 10 and B2 on pin 6 pleases my inner OCD having even buttons on the upper row and odd buttons on the lower row, but again… that’s it. They are smartasses and their strange SNES2NeoGeo adapter pinout matches their SuperGun pinout, but I see this more problematic for the Supergun (which has an additional screw terminal for input) than for the adapter. You can use the adapter with their Supergun, with HAS Supergun (through remapping) and honestly, with NeoGeo and platforms with less than 6 button, the worst that can happen is that you have to use SNES L button to insert coins. We can even reprogam the Arduino easily starting from this https://github.com/burks10/Arduino-SNES-Controller (I'm a software guy, not a hardware one).

I produce my own snes2neo adapters
Interesting. How much? Where do you ship from?

@Locutus73

Re the 8bitdo receivers, how do you use them with a wired usb pad?
Not with a wired usb pad, but as a wired usb pad. 8bitdo retro receivers always pair to Bluetooth pads (a wide array including their own, DualShocks 3/4, various Nintendo pads) and act as a retro pad through a custom retro connector (i.e. SNES one); but they have a micro USB port you can use for upgrading firmware and… for connecting the receiver to a PC impersonating a wired Xbox360 pad or to a PlayStation 3 impersonating a wired controller. So, maybe, they can be used with Undamned adapter

So, what are the current options in order to use a wide array of wireless controllers with a Neo Geo? For now I’d say 8bitdo retro receiver for SNES connected to:

• Retroeletronik adapter – PRO: very cheap and ships from Europe (a pro for me at least) – CONS: weird pinout and ugly sandwitch board
  • Arcadeforge adapter – I don’t know if they sell it apart from their Supergun; they don’t seem to answer to website contact form
  • Undamned USB adapter – will it work?
  • Frank_fjs adapter: how much shipped to Italy?

Thank you all in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

My adapters are $15 AUD / $12 USD. I'm from Australia but don't sell outside of Australia due to limited and expensive overseas postage costs.

Thanks for explaining the 8bitdo receiver. I was a little bit excited and thought perhaps there was a way to connect a USB wired controller to the micro USB port.

Re the wiring standard...

There's no distinction between Jamma and Neo Geo. Neo Geo is an arcade platform and follows the Jamma standard (with minor non problematic exceptions). I believe if you design a supergun that utilises DB15 controller ports, and you target Neo Geo controllers as the primary input method, you should follow the standard exactly.

Naturally buttons 5 and 6 do not form part of the Neo Geo standard however it's easy to see how they should be mapped following the logic of the existing standard. Put simply, and as mentioned by you, even buttons on top and uneven buttons on bottom. Coin/Select being the exception but we seem to agree on that. Makes sense to have coin mapped to the controller's select button. If the Jamma select function is required it can be triggered from button 5, which won't cause any conflicts within an MVS environment due to MVS only utilising 4 x buttons.

What we have now is multiple superguns (Mak-Strike/Windy Gaming/Retroelectronik etc) that all use DB15s but all with differing pinouts. This bothers me. The advantage of having a unified pinout is obvious.

Last edited:
Arcadeforge adapter – I don’t know if they sell it apart from their Supergun; they don’t seem to answer to website contact form
Quote from their website:
"We are in easter vacation from 28.02.2018 to 09.04.2018"

They should be back tomorrow. But i have also only found the adapter together with the multigun...

Any chance that we can have USB decoder built-in on next release? I meant DB15 ports are not as popular imho, afterall you still need to hook up Undamned UD-USB anwyay so might as well having a built-in usb-decoder

I’d like to be added for the next batch if I can. Will you still be doing all the accessories? (Kick harnesses, and the 3p4p, etc)

Any chance that we can have USB decoder built-in on next release? I meant DB15 ports are not as popular imho, afterall you still need to hook up Undamned UD-USB anwyay so might as well having a built-in usb-decoder
DB15 ports have been the standard for superguns since superguns were invented. They are easy to build sticks for because you don’t need to rely on any pcb to interface the controls to. If you go with a decoder it introduces a reliance on what type of usb sticks can be connected, which is yet another thing RGB would have to support.

The current configuration is perfect. I myself have multiple adapters to connect SNES, Saturn, and USB based sticks to my HAS. It’s also great that Neo Geo controllers/Sticks are plug-n-play.
No need to fix what isn’t broken.

I’d like to be added for the next batch if I can. Will you still be doing all the accessories? (Kick harnesses, and the 3p4p, etc)
Hey, I'll stock most accessories listed in the first thread, except for the RGB->Composite Vide/S-Video adapter. Added you to the list, thanks :)

Hi, I would be interested by 3 units of the next batch if possible.
Cheers

Reactions: RGB
I could be interested, but in order to make my mind up, I’d like to know approximate timings.
If I’m added to the list now, approximatively (I don’t need the split second), when my HAS Supergun will be shipped?

Many thanks in advance
Best regards.

Locutus73

Back