What's new

shadowobsessed

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi there! Moved here from Northern California about 7 years ago. I don't currently own any cabs (used to), but I work in the arcade industry and have been hoping to learn more about how arcade games actually function and to also work on a few projects of my own!

Welcome!
Wicked stuff, you work in the industry? What's that lookin' like in 2023?
Thanks!!
To be honest, I'm a free agent at the moment. I've worked for three different arcades/fun centers in various capacities, on and off for a decade since 2008. This included basic game/ride attendant duties as well as prize manager, and even Amusement Manager for a Round 1 location and helping them open up a new store and train staff there. My most recent gig was as a game tech, but I still mostly only know operations and just a surface level understanding of the games themselves.

The amount of knowledge I gained from the "game tech" position was pitifully lacking (D&B...), so I am doing some studying on my own and also helping to advise a business with adding a few arcade machines with the knowledge I do have at the moment, and learning a bit as I go. I hope to gain enough expertise to open my own arcade/entertainment business someday :) I know many arcades fail, but big dreams have a pesky way of not going away, ahaha.

The amount of knowledge I gained from the "game tech" position was pitifully lacking (D&B...), so I am doing some studying on my own and also helping to advise a business with adding a few arcade machines with the knowledge I do have at the moment, and learning a bit as I go. I hope to gain enough expertise to open my own arcade/entertainment business someday :) I know many arcades fail, but big dreams have a pesky way of not going away, ahaha.
The barcade concept seems to do very well. Of course majority of the time with those places the main focus is retro arcades. 80's 90's stuff from Centipede/Galaga, to Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat. It's been preserving all the arcade games we played growing up. The downside to that is most of them are 21 and over only so people wouldn't be able to take their kids in there. We have one in my area (Level One Arcade Bar) that just opened up a second location in downtown Mesa, and both places have been poppin.

But hey welcome to the forum! You'll learn a lot from the people here. As for opening your own arcade one day, remember the Cyclops quote from Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter: "DREAMS DON'T DIE!" :thumbup:

The barcade concept seems to do very well. Of course majority of the time with those places the main focus is retro arcades. 80's 90's stuff from Centipede/Galaga, to Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat. It's been preserving all the arcade games we played growing up. The downside to that is most of them are 21 and over only so people wouldn't be able to take their kids in there. We have one in my area (Level One Arcade Bar) that just opened up a second location in downtown Mesa, and both places have been poppin.

But hey welcome to the forum! You'll learn a lot from the people here. As for opening your own arcade one day, remember the Cyclops quote from Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter: "DREAMS DON'T DIE!" :thumbup:
Thank you so much!

I am very glad to see Barcade-type places doing well. Personally I want something that's open to all ages, as there are so few spots for younger people to hang out and those seem to be decreasing more and more over the years. Arcades were (and still are!) a source of absolute magic to me in my youth, and gave me a place I wanted to be when things weren't so great elsewhere. I hope to one day provide a safe haven to others who could use a gathering place and a community. ^^ Alcohol could still be an option, perhaps Gameworks style... (I remember them kicking me out in the evening as a minor, to allow for adults-only with the bar open at night... some sort of similar compromise! :P)

And classic games are great, but there will be some newer must-haves there as well <3 A nice mix for a nice dream!

Thank you so much!

I am very glad to see Barcade-type places doing well. Personally I want something that's open to all ages, as there are so few spots for younger people to hang out and those seem to be decreasing more and more over the years. Arcades were (and still are!) a source of absolute magic to me in my youth, and gave me a place I wanted to be when things weren't so great elsewhere. I hope to one day provide a safe haven to others who could use a gathering place and a community. ^^ Alcohol could still be an option, perhaps Gameworks style... (I remember them kicking me out in the evening as a minor, to allow for adults-only with the bar open at night... some sort of similar compromise! :P)

And classic games are great, but there will be some newer must-haves there as well <3 A nice mix for a nice dream!
I agree 100%. A place of all ages gives the young ones today a chance to experience what we have growing up in the arcades. We do have one arcade out in the east part of Mesa that's open on weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun) called Starfighters. Just a straight up arcade full of 80's 90's arcades and pinball for everyone of all ages to enjoy. So thankfully we have that around too.

I agree 100%. A place of all ages gives the young ones today a chance to experience what we have growing up in the arcades. We do have one arcade out in the east part of Mesa that's open on weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun) called Starfighters. Just a straight up arcade full of 80's 90's arcades and pinball for everyone of all ages to enjoy. So thankfully we have that around too.
That is wonderful!! As long as we can still share that experience with younger generations, then some of them will grow up appreciating arcade games, too. Someone needs to carry the torch :) I love to hear it and hope it stays open for a long while!

Back