What's new
For Sale

thechop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hit a rich seam of Sega Hikaru romboards, three Nascars, a brave Firefighters,an Airtrix and last but not least a virtual on force,
g2WtJl.jpg

Do you have the matching security boards? they're not worth much without them.

The last VO Force ROM board+security board I saw go up for sale was on KLOV priced at $475 (it included some other stuff like a manual and some arts) and it sat unsold for months, eventually dropped to $400 and I think the seller decided he didn't want to drop it any further and never sold it (or at least I never saw it listed again). I had offered him $300 at one point and he turned me down.

I've never seen just a ROM board on YAJ but I have seen complete working VOF Hikaru stacks sell around the $600-$800 mark... usually around $400 for non working. VO stuff seems to sell higher in Japan though. Surprisingly most of the best VO deals I've found were on ebay from US sellers.

For me personally at this point I might pay $250 shipped for the VOF ROM+Security board.. missing the security board I wouldn't buy at all.

You mean the smaller board that sits on the romboard? Are they security boards ?
Sure Ive ran all these without them although I have loads of those too with the sound boards aswell.

I'd imagine Air Trix and the Nascar ones aren't worth much unfortunately. I've seen people scrap those entire cabs just to get the working Hikaru to fix their VO/BFF/PH. So I'd assume a lot of folks who have a Hikaru have those just laying around on a shelf.

Yeah I'm not sure it's needed to boot the games, I've faffed about with these a lot over the years, but it's been a while.

the only other smaller board is the sound one I'm sure?

Hikarus have no security boards. All the security is on the COM chip on the rom board (and some boards have different things on the rom boards that act as security). The two other boards on a Hikaru are a sound board and a COM board.

Hikaru is a different beast when compared to other sega boards as the most valuable part on the Hikaru is the Hikaru itself (not the rom board). If it's not working, then the entire board set has lost 90% of it's value. This is because they are fragile as hell and die very easily, with no one currently capable of repairing it. (Ken doesn't repair the boards themselves anymore). Anyway.... to put it simply

Nascar rom boards - worthless ($10 or so, basically the price of parts on it)

Air Trix rom board - worthless (same as Nascar)

Brave Fire Fighters - I see you have it on the proto board (it's not a proto, they just put the final code on the proto boards), but they are very unreliable. They weren't supposed to go out to commercial locations, but Sega ran low on the boards, so the sales people put the code on the proto boards and sent them out despite the tech people at Sega saying it was stupid. Ken has 10 of them or so in his workshop and none of them work as the flash roms go bad. $50-$75 if it works, $0 if non working as there's no way to fix it currently.

Virtual on: Force $100-$200. This is from the price on broken Hikarus on YAJ with the rom board (broken meaning not repairable, IE the BGA fell off). This was a JP release only, never released outside of JP.

If these included the Hikaru itself and it was working, then you add $300-$400 for each.

Little more info: The most valuable Hikaru board sets are Planet Harriers and Virtual On. Others are more or less worthless as they either can't be played without special hardware or are just terrible games.

For more reference, here's how most hikarus end up on Ebay/YAJ:

0.jpg

Notice the missing BGA in the top left. That means it fell off and is just a brick now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I must have been confusing the sound board with a security board.

The IC can be reattached in most cases. You just have to know someone will ing to do it with the proper equipment. I both know how and have the equipment but my house does not have the amps to use said equipment.

I guess think about it this way.. there's a reason why it's not being done. There are 2 problems:

1) When the IC gets detached from the board, a lot of the time pads are taken

2) Removing it from the heatsink is another risk

HOWEVER, I'll say this...Phil and I bought Ken's BGA machine and all of his parts (he said he will give us many Hikarus to practice on, IE ones that are repairable). We are also going over to his place to be "trained" by him on how to use the machine specifically for Hikarus. So there is something in the works to get these saved.

That was my entire intention with getting started on BGA, to do Hikaru. Most of the time the pads do not get damaged. I talked with ken many times about how to do it and bought tons of supplies. Preforms etc. It sucks that the last two places I've lived couldn't handle the electrical load. You need AT LEAST 20 amps. Neither of my places had the ability to do more than 15amps on the circuits.

One day I'll recoup all the money I spent on BGA equipment.

You need AT LEAST 20 amps. Neither of my places had the ability to do more than 15amps on the circuits.
how much money do we need to raise to get an electrician to your place to get your BGA equipment rolling?

I mean if you want to go really cheap and have an electric stove or dryer you could unplug one of those :P

Back