What's new

nismopunch

Professional
Reaction score
Sooo for the longest time my linked cabs behaved properly..no lag in battle. For the past few months I've been getting lag on the 2nd player cab during battles with 1st player. This only happens in battles when it's linked. Single player play has no issues. At first this was remedied by reseating the dimm on 2P. Now it doesn't matter and the issue always persists. I'm pretty skeptical about the link boards, but since the issue was erratic and was solved by reseating previously I'm not sure anymore. Contacts have been cleaned, no bent pins, etc. Anyone have any suggestions or insight into this? I have even changed the "link" cables and same thing.

Wanted to pick a few brains before I bother Ken.

With link problems back in the day the first thing I would always check were the optical cables.. make sure the cable ends are clean and dust free, that that ports are clean and dust free, there are no kinks or sharp bends in the cable anywhere and that the output on the other ends of the transmission has bright enough output to blind you :D

These are just normal tosslink cables like what we used for surround sound data pre-HDMI so they're pretty easy to find if there's any damage.

You could also try swapping the master and slave sides, or swapping the link boards and see what happens.

The original cables were OK, but I changed to new toslink cables without the splitter just to see if that would improve anything. I did for 20 minutes and problem was back again.

I also did swap the master and slave and problem went away for a bit and then came back.

I think I need to go back to basics on this one. Stupid enough I've never checked the voltages in the cabs since it was working when I got them. The 5v was 5.24v and 3.3v was 3.46v. Adjusted to 5v and 3.3v, started them up and one froze while I was in the test menu. Checked 3.3v again and it was dipping to 3.29 every now and then. Unfortunately I ran out of time to fiddle with it more but I remember the Naomi's are picky with voltages. Hopefully later today I can recheck and maybe raise voltage a tiny bit so it doesn't dip below 3.3v.

Ughhhhh Naomi whyyyyyyy

With NAOMI I usually shoot for 5.1 and 3.33 at the power connector on the mobo. if you only have 5.0 there the chips that need 5v won't get a full 5v. Best of luck...

With NAOMI I usually shoot for 5.1 and 3.33 at the power connector on the mobo. if you only have 5.0 there the chips that need 5v won't get a full 5v. Best of luck...
Thx for the tip! Didn't have any time today to mess with it so will shoot for tomorrow. Wondering if the high voltages had helped to cause the battle lag. If things were getting too hot might explain why it would work for a bit after being shut down to swap parts and then start screwing up 20 minutes later..OR I could just be being hopeful lol.

I hope it helps, but low voltage is more likely to cause crashing/issues than high voltage. High voltage (over 5.2) is known to burn out some buffer chips on the NAOMI. I wish I knew more detail but I'm recalling that from the days of sega-naomi.com

Yeah the only time it crashed was when I adjusted the voltages to exactly 5 and 3.3. The battle lag/stuttering/cars jumping around was with the original voltages 5.24 and 3.46...which I am kicking myself for never checking when I got the cabs. I SHOULD have some time tonight to try your suggested voltages of 5.1 and 3.33 to see if this lag persists. Will report back if I can have some no lag battles..crossing fingers.

Unfortunately by the time I found that forum it was already dead :/

Battle lag persists with new voltage settings..sonnuva bbbbb. The only other thing I can think of is one of the link boards are dying or both on the way out. I've swapped Naomi's and dimms around and it's always P2 slave with the lag which is weird.

If you want to try some other comm boards I could probably lend you a couple, I have several spare.

Thanks Skate! I'll send you a PM later as I might have to travel and be away for a bit.

Back