What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
EDIT: holy crap I'm dumber than I thought. 3 button works. My 3rd button wire was not making a connection. I know somewhere I read naomi ikaruga doesn't work with 3 buttons but I have to assume that person was just looking in the service menu and didn't bother trying it. crazy.

I guess I'll change this thread to a real problem I'm having. Getting my Blast city monitor running in 640x480. I'll post the model # of my monitor and what I have tried so far.

below is some nonsense, now I have no reason to wire up my circuit. maybe i'll find another use for it. I could wire it up to connect to a nes to have A, B, or A+B for fun. but then it wouldn't need to be like this using the NC connection to provide ground to the other buttons. what made me think of this circuit was wiring up a joystick and 9 button setup for commodore/amiga. the idea being one button in the middle for fire then the 8 outer buttons were fire + a direction. the issue was if i left the joystick active it didn't work as expected. for instance if you are holding left then press the fire+up button it would fire diagonally. so i figured a way using diodes and normally closed so when you pressed a fire+direction button it also disconnected the joystick ground I think. practical use for this is easily executing all the functions in games that used lots of directions+fire and being able to do things like run left then quickly fire in an opposite direction then keep running left. useful in archon for example.

I was not sure where to post this. I suppose here. This is dumb and my a result of my lack of research. I designed a 3 button ikaruga panel and had https://www.arcade-projects.com/members/rbtamanini.2056/ make it. It’s great but what I didn’t check was of the arcade game even supports a 3 button option. The Dreamcast version does. The nesica version does I think. I’m assuming the GameCube version does. Unfortunately the original Naomi version does not. So I get art, this custom panel, a naomi and a cart version of ikaruga, I assume some horse racing game was sacrificed and I spend a lot of time trying to get one of my blast city cabs running in 640x480 but no luck I can’t get it to run above standard resolution. Then I finally realize the game doesn’t support 3 buttons. So I’m two steps away from the vision. I’ve always wanted this game in a cab running at the right resolution. For now I’m just trying to get the 3 buttons working and here is my idea. For the 3rd button I will try a 3 terminal button with normally open and normally closed. For fire and change polarity I’ll use the usual Japanese style two terminal buttons. Here is my diagram. I will admit I am not that knowledgeable with circuits, but it looks like it might work. What do you guys think? I’ll give it a shot. The theory is fire and change polarity will work as usual then when I press the special (release power) button it will first disable the other two buttons then engage fire and reverse polarity at the same time engaging the special attack, but I can’t really say what the game will do until I try it. Here is my diagram and the cab and panel.

Attachments

• 9D808C63-E00E-4F75-8575-8103CC3F6030.jpeg
    9D808C63-E00E-4F75-8575-8103CC3F6030.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 0F21C5B1-2DA6-4448-8E19-234F3F44D093.jpeg
    0F21C5B1-2DA6-4448-8E19-234F3F44D093.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 105
  • ADF31628-EA95-4CCD-8AC9-7615D95B7352.jpeg
    ADF31628-EA95-4CCD-8AC9-7615D95B7352.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I can't check this second but take a deep breath... if I remember right the Naomi test menu only shows 2 buttons but 3 work. I doubt it's a hack in the netboot rom.

Well that would simplify things. I thought I tested wiring up button 3 but maybe not. I could NetBoot this thing but ideally I get it working with the cart as I plan to leave this cab as ikaruga forever.

Yeah, I'm almost positive it's a 3-button game on the Naomi too. I owned the original GDROM.

Definitely a 3 Button game. Played it a lot on Naomi.

On the other hand, Radiant Silvergun is only 3 Buttons if you use the Japan region / modbios.

you guys are right! my 3rd button was not making a connection, works great. That is so crazy, I know i saw somewhere on the internet where someone said a 3rd button didn't do anything. Now I'm motivated to fix my final issue, getting the blast monitor working in 640x480. I have tried eveything i have found online about how to do this with no luck. I just get a black screen so far when I try.

That cab is beautiful 😻

yeah I like it. if I do anything else it will be a different marquee with a white color scheme to match the control panel, and some general cab cleanup. it has some yellowing.

nice, someone makes a white marquee! http://benfactory.fr/produit/ikaruga/

they also have a white instruction card, perfect. the whole thing should look more cohesive when I get these.

I also just realized I think blue top is better for joy 1. The idea with the colors it’s they match the game. So fire as the white ship is white with a blue outline, change polarity black/white and release power matches the shot colors for white. It is a bit different for black where the shots are black with a red outline but release power is white with a red outline. I colored the fonts the same. I thought it was a fun idea.

Attachments

• EA7DE840-04CF-4B83-A1F3-66FD7DB7F382.jpeg
    EA7DE840-04CF-4B83-A1F3-66FD7DB7F382.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back