What's new

tacobell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Was inspired by this post: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=23222

However, I’m referencing it here in hopes to get more details and have a better understanding of the issue.

Just received a card reader and tried to get this working outside of an original cab.
IMG_6608.jpeg

I saw an example of this working from this video:

I made both power and data looms based on the wiring diagram and the video example.
httpsinitiald-arcade.compdfv3-wiringdiagram.pdf.jpeg

(My setup)
IMG_6591.jpeg

(Video’s setup based off the yahoo auction listing)
IMG_6401.jpeg

IMG_6402.jpeg

Power to the card reader is coming from a 500w atx power supply. The 12v and 5v lines look robust enough.

IMG_6607.jpeg

IMG_6606.jpeg

Tested this out and no sound or movement was coming from the reader.

Received a card r/w error when trying to load initial d 1.
IMG_6594.jpeg

Ran game test mode and received a Card r/w status connection error
IMG_6599.jpeg

I tested this naomi 2 with the pi card reader emulator and that works so I know it isn’t the serial data line.

I am not sure what to listen or look for to confirm card reader operating properly, but any suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 16
FYI, reviewed this with @mathewbeall and he confirmed my wiring for both data and power are correct

IMG_6588.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 2 readers and planned to try to get them to work but never got around to it and would probably sell them if you are interested in obtaining more of these.

I need to find a working Naomi 2 so I can play initial d. Not sure what i'd do for steering as I just sold my race sim to fund more arcade purchases lol but good luck fixing your issue.

Update: Based on my research and multiple people reaching out, I have a non working unit. When powered up, the card reader’s gear will go back and forth, making 2 buzzing sounds.
I have sent it to Ken for repairs.
good luck! how would you be able to use a wheel and pedals to play this on a naomi? do u need any special hardware?

Last edited:
I know a little about this. There is a dreamcast wheel that is supposedly pretty easy to modify to use with this

You will need the sega jvs io. It’s been documented by @Mitsurugi-w years ago. I used it to make an xbox wheel work.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/s-jihp-sega-jvs-i-o-helper-pcb.10/

good luck! how would you be able to use a wheel and pedals to play this on a naomi? do u need any special hardware?

I know a little about this. There is a dreamcast wheel that is supposedly pretty easy to modify to use with this

However, I now use toyoshim’s usb to jvs as it’s literally plug and play with many popular usb controllers and wheels.
https://toyoshim.github.io/iona-us/en

However, you NEED the official one and NOT the knockoffs from china as the original ones have the firmware update to support it.

I play initial d with the left analog stick and triggers on an 8bitdo, but you can easily program the latest Logitech G29 race wheel. I would prefer a sequential shifter for TST and other drift techniques over the H pattern.

Correct. It’s pretty sad he halted development for it because of the amount of bootleggers there are. It turned into the gd-emu.

UPDATE: Spoke with Ken and reason why it stopped working was because of a surface mount fuse that was blown. There are 3 fuses on the board and are very small. Could be due to a card jam or something that’s overworked the rollers. There aren’t any schematics to find these so I’m taking his word on it. $125 for repair. He suggests to readjust the card reader entryway, using a feeler gauge, to measure 1/13000th of an inch.
Resized_Resized_20240314_131756.jpeg

Will continue testing once I’ve received card reader.

Following to see the outcome... as I've got 5 complete card reader assemblies that all do the same thing, and another friend has 2 doing the same.

Likely have to box them up and send them overseas to Ken as well!

UPDATE: Got back the card reader from Ken and connected power and data using the looms I created. As soon as I turned the cabinet on, it powered up! Ran r/w tests, cleaned the reader with a cleaning card and printed a new card with no problem!

A weird caveat: If you have a working battery for the NetDimm, the game will freeze when you try to start a match or print a new card. Don’t use the battery with this setup.

The three fuses. One of mine was dead on startup; after changing icp1 it now just cycles over and over. Apparently there was a problem with the molez connectors on the us models so that’s what I’m checking next( info incase someone else is in the same boat)

Attachments

• IMG_9335.jpeg
    IMG_9335.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9334.jpeg
    IMG_9334.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 8
Back